Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Frustrated.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Tomorrow I am taking Stella back to the vet because of the skin-fold irritation that has been going on. I will be getting her weighed once again to make sure she is in the 7 lb range. I can tell a difference in her size (even that area of the belly looks like it has shrunken a bit), but regardless of the half pound she has lost or is still losing (I know weight lost can be a slow process), the irritation is STILL THERE. Two weeks ago, I took her to the vet for the same reason and the vet gave her an antibacterial shot (starts with a C. . I'm at work right now, so I don't have the papers with the name near by) that's suppose to help with skin irritations. The thing is, I hardly saw any improvement. I've been using the Malaseb Pledgets as well. I had her wear that E Collar for about a week and a half to help stop her from licking the area. The E Collar served as an annoyance. It made it difficult for her to reach, so she didn't try as much. I wouldn't be surprised if she was able to reach part of it. Especially since the cloth-like ones begin to lose its shape, making it easier to fold. I monitored her every night, but what can you do when you are at work? I'm so frustrated for her. She seems perfectly fine as far as everything else goes. She's active, playful and loving, but I know it's got to be an annoyance for her. How many times will I need to go back to the vet before something actually works? Maybe I'm impatient and this whole process will take some time. The vet strongly believes it was the steroids she was on that caused her to gain the weight, which caused this irritation to occur. By the way, the areas do not look like they've gotten any worse, so that's good. I'm really upset and I just want the irritation to go away. :Sad:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Also. . .I'm afraid of the possibility of having to use so many different remedies on her. I understand that sometimes it's trial and error, but I don't want an over-medicated kitty. However, I know the vet is on my side and I strongly appreciate them being there.

Brooke

Banned
Tomorrow I am taking Stella back to the vet because of the skin-fold irritation that has been going on. I will be getting her weighed once again to make sure she is in the 7 lb range. I can tell a difference in her size (even that area of the belly looks like it has shrunken a bit), but regardless of the half pound she has lost or is still losing (I know weight lost can be a slow process), the irritation is STILL THERE. Two weeks ago, I took her to the vet for the same reason and the vet gave her an antibacterial shot (starts with a C. . I'm at work right now, so I don't have the papers with the name near by) that's suppose to help with skin irritations. The thing is, I hardly saw any improvement. I've been using the Malaseb Pledgets as well. I had her wear that E Collar for about a week and a half to help stop her from licking the area. The E Collar served as an annoyance. It made it difficult for her to reach, so she didn't try as much. I wouldn't be surprised if she was able to reach part of it. Especially since the cloth-like ones begin to lose its shape, making it easier to fold. I monitored her every night, but what can you do when you are at work? I'm so frustrated for her. She seems perfectly fine as far as everything else goes. She's active, playful and loving, but I know it's got to be an annoyance for her. How many times will I need to go back to the vet before something actually works? Maybe I'm impatient and this whole process will take some time. The vet strongly believes it was the steroids she was on that caused her to gain the weight, which caused this irritation to occur. By the way, the areas do not look like they've gotten any worse, so that's good. I'm really upset and I just want the irritation to go away. :Sad:

Was the injection called Covenia? If so, it's a slow-acting antibiotic that gives 2 weeks of treatment with one injection. Sounds like that's what she had, since it's usually given for skin infections. My girl Helen was given Covenia for a URI because she can be difficult to medicate, and we ended up having to give her Baytril afterward because the Covenia didn't work. Maybe Stella is having the same issue and not responding to the antibiotic? After my experience with Covenia, I'm not completely sold that it's all that effective...

Sometimes these things are just trial and error to see what her body will respond to. Unfortunately, it hurts our wallets in the meantime! (Believe me, I'm going through it right now with Nelson's eye...we're on a 3rd round of different meds because the first 2 kinds didn't work!)

I really hope the vet has another solution for you that works this time! Fingers and paws crossed.

PitRottMommy

Banned
The antibiotic shot was probably Covenia, I agree with Brooke. It's an injection that's supposed to be great for skin issues, but sometimes the more advanced problems need oral antibiotics. In my experience with Covenia, little compares to the benefits of oral abx.

Remember, not getting worse IS an improvement. Check her weight and see where you guys stand. 2 weeks time may not be enough to have dropped enough weight for the skin fold to be shrinking enough to stop the irritation. But, at least we're on the right track!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone! And I meant to say "An antibiotic shot", but you all knew what I was talking about. Everyone is sick at work, so the word "antibacterial" was probably on my mind. Yes, I'm pretty sure the shot was Convenia as well (at the parent's doing laundry, so I still don't have the paper nearby!). The vet told me it lasted for two weeks. Just wondering if I should keep that E Collar on her. . . Feels like torture, though. I'm impatient for my little Stella. Gotta get this problem resolved. I will keep you all posted. :)

Brooke: I hope the 3rd round does wonders for Nelson!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks everyone! And I meant to say "An antibiotic shot", but you all knew what I was talking about. Everyone is sick at work, so the word "antibacterial" was probably on my mind. Yes, I'm pretty sure the shot was Convenia as well (at the parent's doing laundry, so I still don't have the paper nearby!). The vet told me it lasted for two weeks. Just wondering if I should keep that E Collar on her. . . Feels like torture, though. I'm impatient for my little Stella. Gotta get this problem resolved. I will keep you all posted. :)

Brooke: I hope the 3rd round does wonders for Nelson!

If I didn't mention it before, ask your vet about Neo-predef powder. That's about the only think I can think of at this point that might help aside from oral antibiotics.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry she is still having the skin problem, but glad she is loosing some weight:ThumbsUp:
I know that when this happens to babies at work we have the parents use aquafor cream and it works great, maybe give it A try if you can get her to not lick it off.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone!

Pitrottmommy: I did not sign on to Sphynx lair before I went to the vet visit today. :( I can still call them about it, though.

Good news! The vet said it looks like it is healing. We weren't able to see our vet, because she wasn't working there today. But this vet said it is showing signs that it is healing. It looks like it is drying out. She told me to continue using the Malaseb Pledgets, but also prescribed Animax Ointment (it says panalog 7.5 gr on the papers we get to take home). I asked if it contained a steroid and she said it did, but not a lot. Of course the word "steroid" made me worry, but I will be using a little bit of it every other day for about two weeks until our recheck. She said it will help retain SOME moisture, which she told me was necessary.

AND she checked in at 7 1/2 lbs! Yay!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks everyone!

Pitrottmommy: I did not sign on to Sphynx lair before I went to the vet visit today. :( I can still call them about it, though.

Good news! The vet said it looks like it is healing. We weren't able to see our vet, because she wasn't working there today. But this vet said it is showing signs that it is healing. It looks like it is drying out. She told me to continue using the Malaseb Pledgets, but also prescribed Animax Ointment (it says panalog 7.5 gr on the papers we get to take home). I asked if it contained a steroid and she said it did, but not a lot. Of course the word "steroid" made me worry, but I will be using a little bit of it every other day for about two weeks until our recheck. She said it will help retain SOME moisture, which she told me was necessary.

AND she checked in at 7 1/2 lbs! Yay!

GREAT!!! If it's healing, don't worry about the Neo-Predef. If it happens again, try it :)

Glad to hear she's doing well. Those Malaseb Pledgets rock, don't they?

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
GREAT!!! If it's healing, don't worry about the Neo-Predef. If it happens again, try it :)

Glad to hear she's doing well. Those Malaseb Pledgets rock, don't they?

They do! If it weren't for you all, it might have taken me awhile to come across the Malaseb Pledgets. :)

Back