Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Full Litterbox

tessblack

Banned
I have two sphynx they came home September 1st. I have two large litter boxes and I am so surprised at how much waste I get everyday from such small creatures. Is this normal?

Thanks
tess

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
what are you feeding them? Food with a lot of fillers in it will make them poop a lot!

P.S. they are really cute!

tessblack

Banned
i am feeding them a mix of Royal Canin and I think it is called advantage. Both dry, I don't feed them any wet they don't seem to like it. They drink so much water and eat all the time and they just poop and pee all the time. I have had two cats before (hairy) and never had so much waste. It is just weird.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Both my sphynx eat Royal Canin and they do not go that much.
They do drink a lot of water though.
The breeders told me to feed that.
How old are they?

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have to admit I'm not sure if Meecho has a lot of waste because she uses the box in the basement to poop and the one upstairs to pee. I don't clean the basement one because that one is actually for our hairy cat and someone else's responsibility:Laugh: And I have such a love of my litter locker that everytime I go into the bathroom I clean the litter just so I can use it so I'm constantly shifting and can't always remember if there is or isn't waster anymore. Oh dear lord do I have issues :Impish::Laugh:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Mo used to poo a lot when I first got him, when he was a kitten. The vet told me that kittens tend to go more than adult cats and now hes a bit older he does seem to go less, about twice a day to poo. The do wee more if they are on dry food, also are you free feeding them? I give Mo 3 meals a day dry and wet mixed and it seems to work better coz then he hasn't constantly got food going through his system. Sphynx cats are terrible for over eating!

skudra

Lairian
BFem85
there have been lots of discussions about the food in SphynxLair, and of what I've studied about what cats need to be eaten - far not the best choise. check few posts down :Wink:

tessblack

Banned
Thanks for all the replies, it is very helpful. I will check out the Royal Canin because when I was reading the list of what is in it the first ingredient is chicken meal instead of just chicken. My vet told me that the first ingredient should be chicken, beef or a seafood. Must do more research. I got a free bag so I have been mix it with the other because that is what the breeder was feeding them so I want to slowly change them over to another.

They are 7 months old now and the breeder told me to leave food out 24 hours for them.

So much to figure out with these guys but they are so worth it. Everyday they make me smile.

Thanks for all the help

tess

sheryl

Lairian
Hi Tess...Yes - you have the right idea about going slow with the switch over. Otherwise you might end up with some nasty diarrhea. I too, adopted my 2 Sphynx girls in September. They are my first with this breed, and I will never be without a Sphynx to share my life with. I so much adore them!
Sammie & Lily are 4, and 5 yrs old. I had a hell of a time trying to find the right food for them. They had very, very stinky diarrhea - actually explosive. It was horrible. They had all kinds of tests done, and I tried several different dry foods & canned too. Finally, I swithched them to raw. It has been an absolute miracle. They poop twice a day - at the most. I know raw is not a cure-all for all cats, but for Sammie & Lily, it was truly an answer to our prayers!
Sheryl

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I feed my five guys and gals a mix of raw and dry 24/ 7 and I only have 2 large litter boxes and they dont seem to go that much.

myspecialboy

Lairian
I have two sphynx they came home September 1st. I have two large litter boxes and I am so surprised at how much waste I get everyday from such small creatures. Is this normal?

Thanks
tess

Chadwick has a Litter Maid box and I have to replace the containers every couple of days and they are supposed to last a week! I'm catsitting right now for a friend of mine with two furry cats and I went to scoop out their litter and they barely had anything in the boxes! I think that since the Sphynx has a higher metabolism and they have to eat and drink more, so they poo and wee more, too!

tessblack

Banned
Hi Tess...Yes - you have the right idea about going slow with the switch over. Otherwise you might end up with some nasty diarrhea. I too, adopted my 2 Sphynx girls in September. They are my first with this breed, and I will never be without a Sphynx to share my life with. I so much adore them!
Sammie & Lily are 4, and 5 yrs old. I had a hell of a time trying to find the right food for them. They had very, very stinky diarrhea - actually explosive. It was horrible. They had all kinds of tests done, and I tried several different dry foods & canned too. Finally, I swithched them to raw. It has been an absolute miracle. They poop twice a day - at the most. I know raw is not a cure-all for all cats, but for Sammie & Lily, it was truly an answer to our prayers!
Sheryl

Poor babies with explosive diarrhea so I don't feel too bad now. Going to try and change food when I am done with what I have. Will do some investigating.

Thanks

t

PitRottMommy

Banned
There are lots of food recommendations and analysis on this forum, feel free to ask a new question (or start a new thread) if you don't see something listed specifically.

Back