Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fun Friday Cat Fact of the Day 6-28-19

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
2bf0a3fb4faeb538347538faed303957.jpg

People who are allergic to cats are sometimes under the mistaken belief that allergies originate in the cat's fur. In reality it is a reaction to a protein called “Fel d 1” found in feline saliva. Researchers estimate that 2/3 of people who are allergic to cats have it stem from this protein in cat’s saliva which is then passed on to the cat's fur when the cat cleans itself. This protein gets transferred from the saliva to the dander and fur, especially around the cat's face and butt where we often see them cleaning the most. So Lairians, this is why even Sphynx are not hypoallergenic.

Happy Friday Lairians!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Great information ! So many people I have met believe sphynx are hypoallergenic because they are hairless .

wow ! An amazing pic!
Hugs n head smooches!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So true! My husband's allergies seem to be worse with our Sphynx than any other cat we have owned. We have had her for two years and thought his body would have adjusted by now. It is painful for me to hear him wheezing every night when we go to bed and know I won't give up my kitty. I must be the worst wife ever but I love my husband dearly and my kitty too!

Back