Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fun Friday Cat Fact of the Day 7-20-18

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
d7331d04abd5fe8d6c38446afc4d32c4.jpeg

Being as we have a male kitten getting neutered in a couple of weeks, I thought I would share some facts about neutering...hang on to your hats.

1. The actual desexing of a male cat usually takes only 2-5 minutes. Yep...that fast and that easy.

2. When they spay females, they are put on a heating pad during the surgery, but with males, because the neutering procedure is so fast, they don't put males on a heating pad until after the surgery.

3. There are no sutures/stitches used after they are neutered. The 2 incisions where they remove the testicles just heal on their own. Yep, no stitches.. As we always say these guys are very fast healers and I think this proves it lol. They often send them home with a e-collar to help prevent them from over grooming.

4. The one thing that might surprise you the most, is that with furry cats they do not shave the area, they actually pluck the hairs on the scrotum!!!

Big sigh...so for all members getting male kittens and anticipating neutering, it is a quick and easy procedure. The biggest take away is making sure your vet does NOT use Ketamine for the anesthesia for this breed. If there are underlying undetected heart conditions it can be fatal with this particular form of anesthesia.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Back in the 1980s, we had a furry cat who developed an infection in the incisions of his neuter. When I took him back to the vet with the obvious infection, the vet was amazed. Our cat had the distinction of being the ONLY cat with an infection in over 30 years of separating male cats and testicles. That same cat lost a leg about a year later...he had phenomenal bad luck in his first 2 or 3 years.

Chilly Willy

Lairian
d7331d04abd5fe8d6c38446afc4d32c4.jpeg

Being as we have a male kitten getting neutered in a couple of weeks, I thought I would share some facts about neutering...hang on to your hats.

1. The actual desexing of a male cat usually takes only 2-5 minutes. Yep...that fast and that easy.

2. When they spay females, they are put on a heating pad during the surgery, but with males, because the neutering procedure is so fast, they don't put males on a heating pad until after the surgery.

3. There are no sutures/stitches used after they are neutered. The 2 incisions where they remove the testicles just heal on their own. Yep, no stitches.. As we always say these guys are very fast healers and I think this proves it lol. They often send them home with a e-collar to help prevent them from over grooming.

4. The one thing that might surprise you the most, is that with furry cats they do not shave the area, they actually pluck the hairs on the scrotum!!!

Big sigh...so for all members getting male kittens and anticipating neutering, it is a quick and easy procedure. The biggest take away is making sure your vet does NOT use Ketamine for the anesthesia for this breed. If there are underlying undetected heart conditions it can be fatal with this particular form of anesthesia.

Now that’s one handsome naked baby boy! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Cleopatra Beers yikes, you seldom hear of issues, especially with neutering. You might recall our Jouët got very ill after she got spayed, she also got an infection and it was very scary. Our vet was shocked. He said it was only the second time he ever saw it happen. I will forever look at any “routine” procedure as not being risk free. We purposely scheduled Ochi’s neuter 3 weeks before our vacation just in case we have to deal with complications.

Back