Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fun Friday Cat Fact of the Day

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We have had this question come up a few times recently:

"What are these bumps on the back of my cat's front legs? We usually just answer all cats have them and not to worry. But I decided it's time we know what they are really called and do they serve a purpose. They are called the carpal pads and their function serves as anti-skid devices for any crash landings as they race around full speed doing roomie zoomies. I know they must come in handy with my crazy girlies on the hardwood floors lol.

TGIF Lairians!

Patti

bluejay1919

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nice bit of info! Unfortunately, Phoebe's pads must not work too well....when she gets the zoomies and hauls butt around the living into the hallway, she always skids too fast and slams her bottom into the wall. This doesn't slow her down, though!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is great to know!! Love learning new things about our babies.
Now...what is the little bumpy area just above the carpal pad? :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Catzzzmeow that name carpal pads makes 100% good sense. I'm starting to think that for some odd reason, these pads don't work well on the sphynx breed. LOL I can't imagine what it would be like if a cat didn't have these pads to help slow them down from having a head-on collision. I've witnessed a number of these collisions with my nakeds. LOL

Just like @Nicolemorgan just mentioned, I too want to know about those little bumpy marks above the carpal pads. I actually thought that the little bumpy area was what was posted in a thread recently, not the carpal pads.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
There is no real name for the bumps above the carpal pads....this is the spot where carpal whiskers grow. Their technical name is carpal vibrissae. Hairy cats have these whiskers and just like whiskers on their face but their main function is for hunting.

These whiskers on hairy cats send signals from their leg whiskers to their brain, helping them in detecting direction and strength of the movements of objects they are “holding.” Once a cat covers it's prey with their paws they can no longer see it, so they rely on these whiskers to help them feel they have their prey and if they are they still moving.

So being as our babies are hairless they have no whiskers on these bumps.

So mystery is solved @Nicolemorgan @GoldHazel

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There is no real name for the bumps above the carpal pads....this is the spot where carpal whiskers grow. Their technical name is carpal vibrissae. Hairy cats have these whiskers and just like whiskers on their face but their main function is for hunting.

These whiskers on hairy cats send signals from their leg whiskers to their brain, helping them in detecting direction and strength of the movements of objects they are “holding.” Once a cat covers it's prey with their paws they can no longer see it, so they rely on these whiskers to help them feel they have their prey and if they are they still moving.

I can't help but wonder if this is why my nakeds like belly rubs and don't ever attack my arm like all my furry cats did. When cats are attacking prey, they rip it open with their back feet as they hold it against their bellies.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

WOW! That is so interesting to know! Thanks for that @Catzzzmeow