Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gable is Spraying!!!!!

So yesterday, Gable backed up against my daughter's dresser, raised his tail and butt in the air, arched his back, wiggled his tail and sprayed this enormous stream of pee in the air and on her homework!

Today he did the same thing on the large "sitting area" of our front bay window! This time he backed up to the vertical blinds and same thing...only this time my son had left a couple of his pages of hockey cards there that got covered in Gable pee. How is she going to explain these special scented worksheets to her teacher?

Needles to say, I am NOT impressed. He does not have his man-bits, but of course we did get Amaryllis two weeks ago Monday. He has been chasing her around a bit more lately and has bitten her a couple of times (left no marks) so I assume it is just in play.

What is the issue? Stress? Is he upset that we have brought a new cat in the house and this is his way of throwing a tantrum? What can I do about this? He cannot be spraying the house up! ICK!

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear this, I guess Gable is marking his territory! It sounds like Gable is a bit upset over a new kitty in the house. First things first, you need to be sure he does not have a UTI, so a vet visit should be in your plans next week. Is the female spayed? Second be sure to clean up the areas with a pet enzyme cleaner. A few things you can do here, you can have a playtime with both cats being sure to have them close together and reward them with treats for good behavior while playing closely in the same area or room. This method will take some time.
Good luck!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh dear!! that's the worst!! last thursday we rushed bronxe to the er and during which he sprayed my car TWICE!!!
i found the Arm and Hammer odor control w/ oxy clean worked REALLY well! (thank god)
is getting him fixed an option? We didnt get bronxe fixed because he has some GI issues, and was unsure if it'd be healthy for him. recently we talked about going through with it. our female is fixed. breeding/showing isn't an option for us. both my kitties have health issues, so i wouldn't bred them. but if i could have done it surgery before i def would have!

good luck! and yikes about the homework and cards. Can you scan/copy them and throw the originals out?

Sorry to hear this, I guess Gable is marking his territory! It sounds like Gable is a bit upset over a new kitty in the house. First things first, you need to be sure he does not have a UTI, so a vet visit should be in your plans next week. Is the female spayed? Second be sure to clean up the areas with a pet enzyme cleaner. A few things you can do here, you can have a playtime with both cats being sure to have them close together and reward them with treats for good behavior while playing closely in the same area or room. This method will take some time.
Good luck!

He just had a check up last week and all was fine. I know that does not mean he does not have a UTI now though. I have been trying to reward them with a treat when they are nice together (they both LOVE Greenies) and they will eat out of the same food dish or sit at the window together with no issue!

I will just have to keep the Greenies and the enzyme cleaner close until he decides he does not need to do this anymore.

Oh dear!! that's the worst!! last thursday we rushed bronxe to the er and during which he sprayed my car TWICE!!!
i found the Arm and Hammer odor control w/ oxy clean worked REALLY well! (thank god)
is getting him fixed an option? We didnt get bronxe fixed because he has some GI issues, and was unsure if it'd be healthy for him. recently we talked about going through with it. our female is fixed. breeding/showing isn't an option for us. both my kitties have health issues, so i wouldn't bred them. but if i could have done it surgery before i def would have!

good luck! and yikes about the homework and cards. Can you scan/copy them and throw the originals out?

He is fixed. No man-bits there. That's why I was so surprised! Amaryllis is fixed as well. He is just wanting to show her the house is HIS. Lovely. And yes, thank you for suggesting copying her homework! I will have to do that. I can't have her turn this in and try to explain to her teacher why her papers have a curious smell to them.

Bella07

Banned
Well I think the old saying "My dog ate my homework" is getting old..... So the new trend must be "My cat sprayed my homework!" :Wink: :LOL:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my, litterbox problems can be so hard to pinpoint!

I think the first order of business is to take Gable to the vet and rule out physical causes. It could be a UTI. Were both of his testicles fully descended when he was neutered? If a piece of one got left inside him that could be making hormones for him and causing him to act like an intact male.

Have you changed litter brands or a new litterbox? That can really throw a cat for a loop too.

On the other hand, does each kitty have their own box? Maybe he just doesn't like sharing his box with Amaryllis.

Or it could be an emotional thing and he's feeling that he needs to be competitive and is marking his territory. In which case he's going to need a whole bunch of extra lubbins and reassurance.

Good luck figuring it out. Poor little Gable. :(

Oh my, litterbox problems can be so hard to pinpoint!

I think the first order of business is to take Gable to the vet and rule out physical causes. It could be a UTI. Were both of his testicles fully descended when he was neutered? If a piece of one got left inside him that could be making hormones for him and causing him to act like an intact male.

Have you changed litter brands or a new litterbox? That can really throw a cat for a loop too.

On the other hand, does each kitty have their own box? Maybe he just doesn't like sharing his box with Amaryllis.

Or it could be an emotional thing and he's feeling that he needs to be competitive and is marking his territory. In which case he's going to need a whole bunch of extra lubbins and reassurance.

Good luck figuring it out. Poor little Gable. :(

Oh no we don't still want any bits left! He did just have a physical two weeks ago and vet looked him over throughly and said he was all good but this was before the spraying.

Good idea about the litter box. They do share the Scoop Free box, however I did have a box upstairs for Amaryllis when she arrived because she was in my son's room as her safe room. We just took that box out las Monday as she is always downstairs with us now and the "main" box is down there. I may have to consider putting another box upstairs.

We have been trying to give him extra attention and he always sleeps cuddled up to Mommy at night.

He has been spending a LOT of time at the window and sliding glass door and there are "outdoor" cats that will come through the yard. He lets out this bloodcurdling yowl and he seems to be almost keeping watch at the door waiting. I wonder if this is adding to stress?

Yikes. Sounds like Gable wants Amaryllis to know who's the man.

Here is a link to eHow. They had a few tips I hadn't heard of.
How to Stop a Neutered Cat From Spraying | eHow.com

I would like him to show her he is the man in other ways than peeing on things! I know he does not have his bits any more but I always tell him what a big Mancat he is, trying to build up his masculinity and all! Poor boy! I thought he would love to have a friend!

Thanks you for the link. It was very helpful.

Does anyone have experience with the Comfort Zone diffusers or the Feliway spray? They also recommended Rescue Remedy, a homeopathic anti stress remedy that you put between their ears or on neck. I kind of worry about those kinds of things though.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
my inlaws SWEAR by homeopathic EVERYTHING! they don't medicate, they 'herb'.. they don't flea treat, they garlic and lavander lol.. oh it's pretty funny. but usually the stuff works!!! they started putting garlic in the animals food and NO fleas (they live on a farm).. it's pretty interesting... so i would try the homeopathic stuff.

susi794

Staff member
I use both the Feliway plug ins and the spray. I usually spray a bit of it on the teddy bears my kittens take to their new homes so that in the carrier they are calmer. When Moody was spraying, nothing on God's green earth was gonna stop him. I literally had to follow him around with a spray bottle of vinegar and water to clean up everything he sprayed on. So is Feliway effective? I don't know. I do know I met several breeders at a cat show who use Rescue Remedy for just about everything--and they swear by it. Not aware that it was used for spraying though....it's worth a try. I ended up having all the carpeting removed from my entire house because of spraying. So, good luck.

susi794

Staff member
my inlaws SWEAR by homeopathic EVERYTHING! they don't medicate, they 'herb'.. they don't flea treat, they garlic and lavander lol.. oh it's pretty funny. but usually the stuff works!!! they started putting garlic in the animals food and NO fleas (they live on a farm).. it's pretty interesting... so i would try the homeopathic stuff.

How much garlic and the powder or the fresh kind?

I am going to have to give the Feliway a try. He sprayed on my linen closet doors this morning. After he did in he walked a way a few steps and looked at me and meowed and walked downstairs. I swear he was saying "See this is what you get Mom." :LOL::LOL:

I may try the Rescue Remedy if needed as well. I bought Nature's Miracle to spray where he had marked.

Difficult to be angry with him. Last night he cuddled up to me in bed and put his head on me and just nuzzled and purred. Just like a human child, he knows how to work Mommy!

LOL...ya can't be mad at a cat for being a cat.

So true! Funny thing is, my husband said we would NEVER get a cat and he DID NOT like cats, blah blah blah. He now refers to Gable as HIS. I called him at work today and grumbled to him about what HIS cat did again and got "Leave my cat alone. He is a good boy! He is just going through some "stuff" right now."
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am sure it will stop after time. I also look at it this way, so far only once a day and on non-porous surfaces (with the exception of the homework and hockey cards). And thank goodness he is not marking us! So I will try the suggestions and hopefully it will stop.

He is still my baby and I love him, pee butt and all.

susi794

Staff member
So true! Funny thing is, my husband said we would NEVER get a cat and he DID NOT like cats, blah blah blah. He now refers to Gable as HIS. I called him at work today and grumbled to him about what HIS cat did again and got "Leave my cat alone. He is a good boy! He is just going through some "stuff" right now."
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am sure it will stop after time. I also look at it this way, so far only once a day and on non-porous surfaces (with the exception of the homework and hockey cards). And thank goodness he is not marking us! So I will try the suggestions and hopefully it will stop.

He is still my baby and I love him, pee butt and all.

:ThumbsUp: Ya gotta love 'em!

Sorry to hear about the spraying. I have never had a cat that sprayed so I am not help.

Oh but the hockey cards, very bad, I think that may be jail time in Canada for something like that!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Luckily they were in plastic sheeting but they had to be placed in new sheeting that didn't smell like cat pee. Boy was not happy!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've had spayed/neutered male and female cats spray before. My male always sprayed the corner of the couch and my female always sprayed "ME"! She would always wait until I got out of the shower and then she would spray my legs. One time I was on the computer and she jumped up on the desk and was loving on me and then put her butt towards me and sprayed me right in the chest. She was so lucky she didn't hit my face! lol I was mad enough as it was but what could I do!? I used Natures Miracle on the couch, it worked awesome!! I was always paranoid of friends coming over being able to smell it but I would ask and none would admit a smell so as far as I know it worked wonderfully! I would soak the area he sprayed and then use a Shaw Wow to extract all the liquid, then I'd spray the NM on it again and leave it to dry. It worked awesome! I didn't own these two cats at the same time so I have no idea why they did what they did. The vet ruled out everything he could think of that might cause the issues. I just managed it the best I could.

I would consider adding a second litter box back into the home and spraying Feliaway everywhere. I've never used the Feliaway but I've heard great things about it. Goodluck and keep us posted.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have any advice, just wanted to offer some support. spraying is terrible to have to deal with, and I hope he stops soon. Poor you!

holly_savage

Banned
Sorry to hear about the spraying. I have never had a cat that sprayed so I am not help.

Oh but the hockey cards, very bad, I think that may be jail time in Canada for something like that!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

ha ha ha...are you trying to say us Canadians are obsessed with Hockey...

Back