Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gable to the Vet Tomorrow

Poor Gable is going to go to the vet tomorrow. Since yesterday, he has been sounding "croaky" when he meows. Almost sounds like he is losing his voice. He seems to be feeling okay for the most part. He is eating and looking our his window as usual. He has played with Amaryllis a bit and has been following us about the house being a nosey boy as normal. He does have a bit of eye drainage (clear) and I have been giving him extra Lysine for the last week. I am just worried about him.

Has anyone else experienced their Sphynx "going hoarse"?

susi794

Staff member
Yes, my Othie Marie went hoarse when all the URI's were running rampant through my house. May be nothing, but always good to be proactive rather than reactive with more than one cat in the house--the vet will be able to either treat or set your mind at ease.

Yes, my Othie Marie went hoarse when all the URI's were running rampant through my house. May be nothing, but always good to be proactive rather than reactive with more than one cat in the house--the vet will be able to either treat or set your mind at ease.

Thanks Suzi!

When one started with the UTI do they usually treat all as a preventative or just treat those who show symptoms? Worried wee Amaryllis may come down with something...

susi794

Staff member
It was a URI not a UTI--and in the beginning I only treated the cat with the symptoms, but with this particular URI, EVERYONE got it within days. So ask your vet what is best--tell them you have a wee little girl you don't want to get sick.....but dosing cats that aren't sick isn't great either. Gable may not have anything at all. Were you thinking UTI because of the spraying? Is he still doing it?
It's possible it might all be due to some kind of infection---tell the vet all of your concerns including the spraying. Good luck and keep us posted.

It was a URI not a UTI--and in the beginning I only treated the cat with the symptoms, but with this particular URI, EVERYONE got it within days. So ask your vet what is best--tell them you have a wee little girl you don't want to get sick.....but dosing cats that aren't sick isn't great either. Gable may not have anything at all. Were you thinking UTI because of the spraying? Is he still doing it?
It's possible it might all be due to some kind of infection---tell the vet all of your concerns including the spraying. Good luck and keep us posted.

LOL I meant to write URI! I will mention the spraying since I am there but only one time in a week so that is defiantly getting better!

Cleo did that with gagging then passed it on to Oreo over a year ago.
They gave them doxy for it.

Thank you for mentioning the gagging! He has done that a few times too! Not a wretch like he is going to vomit, but a quick "gahh" and that is it. I will make notes to bring to my vet so I can remember everything.

Hibou croaks when she first gets up, but a couple of meows later and she is all good!

He does seem to be a bit worse in the morning. It was my husband who actually brought it up to me. He was so worried. "Honey come quick something is wrong with Gable!!! His meow is all funny and he doesn't sound good! You have to take him to the vet!!!" He has been pampering him all weekend. He even turned off the AC to make sure he stays warm. This from the man who did not want cats....

susi794

Staff member
Gummi went hoarse, with a persistant URI, if your vet reccomends antibiotics, ask him to consider Doxy first, it is the only thing that helped Gummi and it was the last thing we tried!
The same thing here--months of antibiotics because my vet said he didn't think doxy was going to be effective--I begged. We tried it and BINGO! Cats are better. We went through about 7-8 different antibiotics in various forms--liquids, pills, injectibles. It was a nightmare!
So please ask him to try the doxy first!!!!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I ended up switching vets several times until I found a vet who just gave me doxy like I asked. They had been on it before but not long enough and when I asked the vet she put them on something else even though the doxy had actually helped. I was so mad and switched and said I would only take doxy and thats what they were on for 2 months straight and I haven't had problems at all.

So Gable has a touch of a URI and his eyes are getting a bit red and swollen. So he is on the antibiotic as well as tetracycline ointment for his eyes. He was such a good boy until she had to take his temperature. He yowled and cried. Poor boy was not at all happy about having his bum violated. She said we caught everything in time so it should not take long to clear up.

Thank you everyone for the advice! it makes it so much easier to go in already knowing what to ask and request!

susi794

Staff member
Did he just get this after you got Amaryllis? Had he ever had those same symptoms before?

He had the eye issues a couple of times before. I put him on Lysine and that seemed to help. I haven't seen the croaky meow before though. This is the first time. She seems fine. she never seems to even get the nasty eye goobers.

susi794

Staff member
You may want to put them both on lysine--it sounds a little to me like herpes--and he is stressed from having a new cat in the house so he is probably having a flare up. I would put her on lysine too. But give him the flare up dose just in case.

You may want to put them both on lysine--it sounds a little to me like herpes--and he is stressed from having a new cat in the house so he is probably having a flare up. I would put her on lysine too. But give him the flare up dose just in case.

Thank you Suzi! I have them both on it. I mix it in a bit of moist food for them twice a day.

Back