Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gagging before eating dry food

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I couldn't find the thread I thought I read that dealt with this after searching for a few days......

Sophie has started doing a silent gag right before beginning to eat her dry food. It is only once and then she proceeds to eat it.

She has no stool problems at all. No other symptoms. This started 2 weeks ago and she has been on Felidae (Felidae Cat and Kitten Formula Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, and Fish Meals Dry Cat Food) since I got her in October.'

Anyway, I tried 5 stores yesterday but none carry Nature's Variety Lamb Meal & Oatmeal Medley. I remember PitRottMommy recommended it and Maggiesmommy had success so far with it. So I ordered it online but it will not be here for a few more days.

I hope this will do it but if anyone else has suggestions let me know.

Last edited:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Omg I love the natures variety lamb & oatmeal I hope it helps Sophie Maggie is doing awesome on it!

I'm really glad to hear that! I can't wait til it gets here. I hope it does the trick for her. Do your pet shops stock it? I checked all the shops Nature's Variety website said stocked it but they didn't have the Prairie kibble. Not a big deal ongoing but I want it asap now.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of my hairy cats does that, but it's usually when he is smelling something we are eating, and then he usually proceeds to try and steal a taste, weird...

really? That is strange. Sophie never used to do it before eating her dry food til 2 weeks ago now its every time. But she still proceeds to eat it! I kind of thought if she didn't like the taste she would hold out for the wet food only. :Dizzy: Strange kitty I have. Well, I kind of wonder if its an allergy that makes her do it not the taste. I don't know!

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm really glad to hear that! I can't wait til it gets here. I hope it does the trick for her. Do your pet shops stock it? I checked all the shops Nature's Variety website said stocked it but they didn't have the Prairie kibble. Not a big deal ongoing but I want it asap now.

I get Maggie's food @ a store down the street from me thank goodness!!!!:ThumbsUp:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Heather, did you try their website to make sure you didn't have a location close to you? If not, post your zip code and I'll get you a list.

That being said, is she gagging or is she retching?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heather, did you try their website to make sure you didn't have a location close to you? If not, post your zip code and I'll get you a list.

That being said, is she gagging or is she retching?

I did try their website and all the stores listed only had a few NV items and not Prairie kibble (even though it said on NV on products they carry). I visited two stores and called the rest but none have it. I'm going to check other areas closer to my work and relatives houses next but in the meantime I ordered it.

I guess it is more of a retching. It is just once that she does it when she gets her head close to her food right before her first bite. It is a short little cough sound with her mouth open all the way and tongue out. I think that is a retch...right?

PitRottMommy

Banned
If you like this food, once it arrives, ask them if they'll start carrying it for you. It's much cheaper than ordering online. Most don't mind, as long as they get a steady income from it.

I'd describe that as a retch. And I'd do the same thing you're doing, trying another food. When pets retch when they come to a bowl to eat, it can be a sign that the food is causing nausea. While it may not be an allergy, Felidae may be a bit too much for her stomach...thus causing the retching. The only way to know will be when the new food gets here :) Keep us posted!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you like this food, once it arrives, ask them if they'll start carrying it for you. It's much cheaper than ordering online. Most don't mind, as long as they get a steady income from it.

I'd describe that as a retch. And I'd do the same thing you're doing, trying another food. When pets retch when they come to a bowl to eat, it can be a sign that the food is causing nausea. While it may not be an allergy, Felidae may be a bit too much for her stomach...thus causing the retching. The only way to know will be when the new food gets here :) Keep us posted!

Thank you very much! I will do that. The store did carry NV Instinct but since it had chicken I feared Sophie may be allergic. They are a small store and said they didn't carry it since no one ever requested it before. If Sophie is successful on it I will ask them!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My cats were doing the retching thing when I was feeding them Royal Canin...what's weird is that all three of them did not do well on that brand of food (I let the sales clerk at PetSmart talk me into getting the Royal Canin, even though I've heard conflicting report about this brand). I've since switched to Taste of the Wild and Science Diet; they seem to like those two brands a lot better.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My cats were doing the retching thing when I was feeding them Royal Canin...what's weird is that all three of them did not do well on that brand of food (I let the sales clerk at PetSmart talk me into getting the Royal Canin, even though I've heard conflicting report about this brand). I've since switched to Taste of the Wild and Science Diet; they seem to like those two brands a lot better.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear the food fixed similar issues. :Smile:

Bleh, Science Diet is junk. Full of tons of carbs, fillers, preservatives. It gave Baron green feces when I gave him a can of wet food, and he's the one with the iron stomach. Try to find the NV Instinct. It comes in Chicken or Rabbit.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
An Update:

I ordered Sophie some NV Prairie kibble but it took so long to arrive I went out and got NV Instinct Rabbit (I was going for the Prairie but they didn't carry it in my local stores- this seems like a great food too and grain free) in the meantime.

Well, I've created a MONSTER! :LOL:

She cries for it and cannot get enough. She loves the taste so much. I'm not giving in and feeding her more or anything but she cries and cries for it. She attacks the bag even! I'm glad she likes it!

I have both now so I'm phasing out the Felidae slowly and now have the 2 NV bags for her.

I love having a happy kitty! :ThumbsUp:

Back