Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Garden Toxins for Animals

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i picked this sheet up at the vet today and thought i'd post about it.
Plants in the yard/house and how the affect your animals

Garden Toxins:

Autumn Crocus
severe vomiting, GI bleeding, liver & kidney damage, and shock

Azalea
vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, coma & death

Cyclamen
severe vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, heart arrhythmia

Kalanchloe
vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmia, neurological signs

Hyacinth/Tulip Bulbs
severe vomiting, diarrhea, drooling

Oleander
severe vomiting, abnormal heart rate, death, shock, weakness

Sage Palm
vomiting, bloody stool, damage to stomach lining, severe liver failure, death

Daffodil bulbs
sereve vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pains, abnormal heart rate, changes in respiration

Lily
highly toxic to cats
severe kidney failure

Dieffenbachia
intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested.

Lily of the Valley
vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures.

Baits & Fertilizers
"in addition to poisonous plants, keep pest baits, blood meal, bone meal, insecticides and fertilizers away from pets"

Pet Poisons Helpline: 800-213-6680 there is a $35 charge
Pet Poison Helpline

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i personally thought it was interesting. i never knew all those were so dangerous. i always thought hostas was poisonous... i just did some research and it looks like they are as well!

interesting!!

After bronxe's medicine scare i'm a little more cautious about stuff! :)

holly_savage

Banned
thanks, I'll have to watch around the lillies and irises...also one more for the list...Castor Bean Flowers, they are and ornamental plant / flower, and ingestion of the seeds is fatal. This is the seed they used to produce Ricin, a poison for which there is not antidote...humans or pets!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Baits & Fertilizers
"in addition to poisonous plants, keep pest baits, blood meal, bone meal, insecticides and fertilizers away from pets"

Pet Poisons Helpline: 800-213-6680 there is a $35 charge
Pet Poison Helpline

This, this, this.

We lost 3 girls while I was in England, as my husband was in and out of the attached garage working and he didn't shut the garage door. They got into something and we lost them.

There was so much toxic/ poisonous stuff in there that it could have been anything (including some dead mice that ate rodent posion.) I'm still heartbroken.

Remember to treat the cats as babies, make sure there is nothing toxic within reach, they will/ can eat anything.:Cry:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This, this, this.

We lost 3 girls while I was in England, as my husband was in and out of the attached garage working and he didn't shut the garage door. They got into something and we lost them.

There was so much toxic/ poisonous stuff in there that it could have been anything (including some dead mice that ate rodent posion.) I'm still heartbroken.

Remember to treat the cats as babies, make sure there is nothing toxic within reach, they will/ can eat anything.:Cry:

Boy have i learned my lesson with this lately!!!:Sad::Angry::ThumbsDown:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for the info!:ThumbsUp:

I did know about the lillies as they are my favourites, especially Cala's but never have them in the house now.

X

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
LILIES is my big one- I don't think people realize how totally dangerous those gorgeous flowers are! Easter and Mother's Day- it's like, "KEEP THEM OUTTA MY HOUSE!"

Good list!

holly_savage

Banned
bear in mind that in the case of iris' it is the roots that are the poisonous parts. The leaves and flowers are said to only have a very limited amounts of the toxins.

Back