Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

GAS without Ketamine for neuter procedure?

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My baby Yoda is going to have neuter procedure done tomorrow. :Sweat::Cry:
Vet clinic has a standard practice of Ketamine + Valium and gas to follow. After I objected Ket + Val ****tail they offered GAS only. I wonder if it is good enough? Will my boy suffer? Any thoughts?

susi794

Staff member
I have no clue---we have several vet techs and I know of at least one vet that are members that might be able to help you out on that--but no way of knowing they are online. I wish you the best. It is a very quick procedure, so maybe the gas is enough. I can't imagine the vet would be able to do the surgery if the gas wasn't enough. But I am not knowledgeable enough to answer your question. I hope someone else will.
Thinking of your sweet Yoda tonight....try to get some sleep.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Gosh, I don't really think I would let them do the sugery, without my
baby, being sedated.
But, I would not use the ketamane. Could you not use another Vet??

I am not a expert or a Vet, but, going by, I have went to the dentist before
and tried the gas without being numbed or sedated and ended up being
numbed or sedated, because you still feel this and the gas just kinda relaxes you.

It doesn't keep you from feeling the pain or help with the suffering, if your sedated
you are still pain free after the sugery til it starts to wear off.

I just wish your baby and you the best.

DA4128

Lairian
Dkt is the common kitty ****tail for a premed then the use isofloraine gas. When you justuse h
Gas he will be sedated for sx but they will have to put him in a plexi glass box and sedated him enough to tube him by filling the box with iso and o2. This is less risky than dkt but alot morestressful for him. If you have a choice I would ask about ace/ hydro then propofol. make surethey do not use propofol28.

Last edited:

DA4128

Lairian
Dkt is the common kitty ****tail for a premed then the use isofloraine gas. When you justuse h
Gas he will be sedated for sx but they will have to put him in a plexi glass box and sedated him enough to tube him by filling the box with iso and o2. This is less risky than dkt but alot morestressful for him. If you have a choice I would ask about ace/ hydro then propofol. make surethey do not use propofol28.

Sorry for the typos and spelling. On my phone and it hates me today.

ShadyLaine

Lairian
Sorry I didn't see this sooner

If you don't want them to use ketamine, you can ask for Propofol, which is another inducing drug. They need the ketamine and valium to sedate the cat enough to put an endotracheal tube down their throat. The problem with propofol is that in cats, if used OFTEN, it can cause anemia issues.
However, otherwise it is a very safe drug that is often used for the same purpose in humans.

I wouldn't recommend gas only, as they have to put them in a plexiglass box and gas them down. The cats flail about and cry and it's really heartbreaking and stressful because they don't know what is happening.

I had my Elliot neutered using propofol. But Ketamine and valium is the go to drug for most vets for inducing. This is because it is a quick down drug- knocks them out fast, with very few side effects. It also makes it easier to maintain them on the gas because they require less anesthetic to keep them under and pain free.

ShadyLaine

Lairian
Fluffy, do you guys have Alfaxan in the UK? I know they have it in Australia - I volunteered at a wilflife center when I was down there for a couple of months. I'm really hoping we get it here soon, it's the perfect drug for inducing.

Back