Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gatsby & Loki Vet Visit For Allergies

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Loki & Gatsby had their muscle testing done for allergies today at the vet. We decided to do this again as Loki was allergic to many kibbles, treats, and commercial raw foods the last time we did this test, which was about a year ago now. He has lots of issues with foods, so it’s important to us to keep him as healthy as possible and make sure he can eat without allergies, or vomiting, etc.

We also decided to get Gatsby done as well this time around. He has never had it done, and never seems to really have any issues with vomiting or diarrhea like Loki does. Sometimes, we notice them itching, and little red bumps so we thought maybe it would be a good idea to test litter as well.

So we brought treats, raw meats, and their cat litter (just in case).
We brought corn and our new odour-lock litter to test.

They both tested bad with chicken (which we kind of had a feeling about).
So no more chicken for their raw food, and no more freeze dried chicken which is their favorite treat.
They also tested bad with other treats that had chicken and turkey in them.
Loki tested bad with turkey, Gatsby didn’t…but we will just rule that out to keep it easy and just out of the house.

Both of the cat litters were good, so that was a relief.
And of course, we tested them with the BiTR, and they were good with that as well.
They tested well with beef for their raw food, so we will be switching them to that for now. I think we will research some other meats that are available from our butcher, just to have as a backup and variety for them. Such as rabbit, venison, etc.

So I made a quick batch of raw beef with BiTR for supper tonight. Added some pumpkin on top to help with the transition, and PHEW, they ate it! They were a little reluctant at first, but we were relieve mommas to see they accepted this new change, and can start feeling better without allergies!

Next task is to find some good treats that they can handle. :)
Would love to hear some suggestions if any of you have any. Without turkey and chicken of course.
Then we can bring this to their next visit and have them tested too.

Got some photos of them waiting in the vet office too. Cuddling in their little den together. Love my babies so much. <3

upload_2016-4-9_20-2-1.png

upload_2016-4-9_20-2-7.png

Yoda mom

Staff member

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Loki & Gatsby had their muscle testing done for allergies today at the vet. We decided to do this again as Loki was allergic to many kibbles, treats, and commercial raw foods the last time we did this test, which was about a year ago now. He has lots of issues with foods, so it’s important to us to keep him as healthy as possible and make sure he can eat without allergies, or vomiting, etc.

We also decided to get Gatsby done as well this time around. He has never had it done, and never seems to really have any issues with vomiting or diarrhea like Loki does. Sometimes, we notice them itching, and little red bumps so we thought maybe it would be a good idea to test litter as well.

So we brought treats, raw meats, and their cat litter (just in case).
We brought corn and our new odour-lock litter to test.

They both tested bad with chicken (which we kind of had a feeling about).
So no more chicken for their raw food, and no more freeze dried chicken which is their favorite treat.
They also tested bad with other treats that had chicken and turkey in them.
Loki tested bad with turkey, Gatsby didn’t…but we will just rule that out to keep it easy and just out of the house.

Both of the cat litters were good, so that was a relief.
And of course, we tested them with the BiTR, and they were good with that as well.
They tested well with beef for their raw food, so we will be switching them to that for now. I think we will research some other meats that are available from our butcher, just to have as a backup and variety for them. Such as rabbit, venison, etc.

So I made a quick batch of raw beef with BiTR for supper tonight. Added some pumpkin on top to help with the transition, and PHEW, they ate it! They were a little reluctant at first, but we were relieve mommas to see they accepted this new change, and can start feeling better without allergies!

Next task is to find some good treats that they can handle. :)
Would love to hear some suggestions if any of you have any. Without turkey and chicken of course.
Then we can bring this to their next visit and have them tested too.

Got some photos of them waiting in the vet office too. Cuddling in their little den together. Love my babies so much. <3

View attachment 67218

@Nicolemorgan Gatsby & Loki are gorgeous and the camera loves them. :)

I'm sorry to hear about their allergies and to some foods that they really liked.

Your regular vet does the allergy testing? What exactly are they doing to see if they are allergic to the kitty litter and everything else? I know how humans are tested for allergies.

Give them hugs and kisses from me...they were probably a bit hit at the vet's office today. :)

View attachment 67219

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Loki & Gatsby do have such a great mom! Good to hear you tested them and know what is causing the allergic reactions. Hope the diarrhea and vomiting will be over now.
And what a cuties they are!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They have freeze dried 100% Salmon. I give Izmae.
She can't have any poultry. She goes crazy over it.
You can order it or I get mine at petsmart, so I can see what I am getting.

@Hairless Blessing hmm? I keep on saying that I'm going to get that for my nakeds, but then when I get to the pet shops for other supplies, I either forget or I get confused and don't know what to buy!

I also have a question: Do you just give Izmae the salmon while it's frozen? Or is it not frozen, just "dried"? I think this is where my confusion is when I go to the pet shops. Maybe can you send me a link to what this product looks like and what isle I'd find it in? Thanks...
Clueless AKA Robin (LOL)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used to order lots of freeze dried meats but look for them packaged for dogs. You will find bigger packages and better prices.

If your boys can do fish try origen six fish. There is no poultry.

I know eliminating poetry is very hard to do. Ki could have none at all. Within a half hour she would have swollen feet and breakout in hives.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Nicolemorgan Gatsby & Loki are gorgeous and the camera loves them. :)

I'm sorry to hear about their allergies and to some foods that they really liked.

Your regular vet does the allergy testing? What exactly are they doing to see if they are allergic to the kitty litter and everything else? I know how humans are tested for allergies.

Give them hugs and kisses from me...they were probably a bit hit at the vet's office today. :)

Hi @GoldHazel! Yeah, Loki has always been really sensitive, so it's great that are vet does this. We are really close with her as we have lots of animals and are there often. Especially because of Gatsby needing so many vet visits in the first year and half of his life.

Our vet is registered as an animal chiropractor, acupuncturist and in kinesiology. They do muscle testing on the animals with the kinesiology method to check for allergies. And it is always spot on.

They always are a hit at the vet. The staff and our vet know and love these guys! Lots of other customers that come into the vet love them too, and always ask about them. Everyone in a while there is "that" person...who is all "oh those cats are so ugly". Grrrr...Always makes me so mad. Don't you be talking #%&$ about my babies!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We use "My mighty lion" brand, and they do well on them. They make a salmon and a tuna flavour.

Thanks for the reminder @MollysMom! They have had theses treats in the past and love them. I'll search through the ingredients today and hopefully they will have ones that are poultry free that the boys will like. Thank you! :)

Awesome! Thank you @Hairless Blessing! I love this brand. They were eating the freeze dried chicken from this brand. We bought the beef yesterday and they won't touch it. So hopefully the pet store will have these salmon ones we can get for them!

I used to order lots of freeze dried meats but look for them packaged for dogs. You will find bigger packages and better prices.

If your boys can do fish try origen six fish. There is no poultry.

I know eliminating poetry is very hard to do. Ki could have none at all. Within a half hour she would have swollen feet and breakout in hives.

Thanks for the suggestion @NinaGato. We feed raw, so luckily it's easy to switch to a different meat. Freeze dried meats in the dog size are a much better price, that is what we do! :)

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Loki & Gatsby do have such a great mom! Good to hear you tested them and know what is causing the allergic reactions. Hope the diarrhea and vomiting will be over now.
And what a cuties they are!

Thank you so much @Toa and Ross, we love them lots!
I am sure it will help, and am excited to keep an eye on them.
Hope you have a great day! :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Hi @GoldHazel! Yeah, Loki has always been really sensitive, so it's great that are vet does this. We are really close with her as we have lots of animals and are there often. Especially because of Gatsby needing so many vet visits in the first year and half of his life.

Our vet is registered as an animal chiropractor, acupuncturist and in kinesiology. They do muscle testing on the animals with the kinesiology method to check for allergies. And it is always spot on.

They always are a hit at the vet. The staff and our vet know and love these guys! Lots of other customers that come into the vet love them too, and always ask about them. Everyone in a while there is "that" person...who is all "oh those cats are so ugly". Grrrr...Always makes me so mad. Don't you be talking #%&$ about my babies!

@Nicolemorgan that is TERRIFIC that your vet does all those other things besides practicing regular veterinary medicine. Totally amazing how her methods are so spot on. :)

Yes, yes, yes, of course, there is going to be a rude person in a bunch of curious nice people that insults the living daylights out of babies. My husband has a close cousin in Florida and we see her quite often when we travel there. I like her, she's fun to be around, BUT SHE ALWAYS makes it her business to comment on "my ugly cats"! I get sooooo pissed off, I usually give her the look of death or I just walk away in the middle of a conversation so that I don't get arrested in public! LOL LOL

If I didn't know her mother well, and her mother is a very sweet woman, I would have otherwise turned to my husband's cousin and said, "Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your mouth shut?" But again, I can't say that to her because her mother is a lovely woman. LOL

So I feel your pain/anger when you want to say, " Don't you be talking #%&$ about my babies!" LOL Idiots are out there, I swear. They just don't get how they are insulting and hurting us about our babies. People without pets can seem so heartless at times.

I had a friend for many years that had bad things to say about people putting clothing on their pets. Her and her husband were actually referring to my miniature poodles years ago (this was before I got my nakeds). I simply told these two pet-less idiots that God didn't give dogs groomers, this is why we have clothing for our pets!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Nicolemorgan that is TERRIFIC that your vet does all those other things besides practicing regular veterinary medicine. Totally amazing how her methods are so spot on. :)

Yes, yes, yes, of course, there is going to be a rude person in a bunch of curious nice people that insults the living daylights out of babies. My husband has a close cousin in Florida and we see her quite often when we travel there. I like her, she's fun to be around, BUT SHE ALWAYS makes it her business to comment on "my ugly cats"! I get sooooo pissed off, I usually give her the look of death or I just walk away in the middle of a conversation so that I don't get arrested in public! LOL LOL

If I didn't know her mother well, and her mother is a very sweet woman, I would have otherwise turned to my husband's cousin and said, "Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your mouth shut?" But again, I can't say that to her because her mother is a lovely woman. LOL

So I feel your pain/anger when you want to say, " Don't you be talking #%&$ about my babies!" LOL Idiots are out there, I swear. They just don't get how they are insulting and hurting us about our babies. People without pets can seem so heartless at times.

I had a friend for many years that had bad things to say about people putting clothing on their pets. Her and her husband were actually referring to my miniature poodles years ago (this was before I got my nakeds). I simply told these two pet-less idiots that God didn't give dogs groomers, this is why we have clothing for our pets!

Yes, she really is a great vet! :) We started going to her once we got our greyhounds, as they have some specialty needs such as their anesthesia for surgeries, and their blood levels, etc. are different from regular dogs. She knew all about greyhounds and our local rescue group used her as well. We just love her, and have now brought all of our babies there.

Oh that would bug me so much if a family member ever said that!! Usually even if people are a bit weird about them, once they meet them and see their personality, they are hooked! It's true that sometimes people without pets, just don't understand. Thats why we have sphynxlair and can meet other fellow sphynx and animal lovers :) Because good people are out there! @GoldHazel

Hugs!
-Morgan

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sad @MollysMom. Went treat shopping today and all the kinds of Might Lion treats have chicken in them.
Even if the first ingredient is salmon, the second is chicken.
It's a lot harder than I thought to find treats without the chicken.

But for now we got Zukes Salmon, and Origin Lamb treats. We will try those for the next bit.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Yes, she really is a great vet! :) We started going to her once we got our greyhounds, as they have some specialty needs such as their anesthesia for surgeries, and their blood levels, etc. are different from regular dogs. She knew all about greyhounds and our local rescue group used her as well. We just love her, and have now brought all of our babies there.

Oh that would bug me so much if a family member ever said that!! Usually even if people are a bit weird about them, once they meet them and see their personality, they are hooked! It's true that sometimes people without pets, just don't understand. Thats why we have sphynxlair and can meet other fellow sphynx and animal lovers :) Because good people are out there! @GoldHazel

Hugs!
-Morgan

@Nicolemorgan I really like what I hear more and more about your vet. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sad @MollysMom. Went treat shopping today and all the kinds of Might Lion treats have chicken in them.
Even if the first ingredient is salmon, the second is chicken.
It's a lot harder than I thought to find treats without the chicken.

But for now we got Zukes Salmon, and Origin Lamb treats. We will try those for the next bit.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

You can order Salmon freeze dried treats. I don't know about where you
live, but, surely, they should have them to ship to your area from somewhere.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NinaGato , you are spot on about shopping the dog section of their freeze dried treats - way more , less per ounce and same ingredients as the often cute kitty packages :)
I was shocked when I took the kitty treats to the dog section and compared each

Orijen amd Acana both great foods made by same company
I had to go with the Acana - a little lower protein ( less poo issues here with lower protein )

My kitties are brats! They turned their noses up to the salmon treats!:(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MollysMom , thank you for the reminder to read labels carefully!
Look for " Distributrd by " Or "Made for "

** Everyone please read your labels carefully - recently I went to buy canned cat food to see if my dry food addict would like it

The small pet pet store owner handed me a can, said it was made in the USA - NOT! I read the label and
It is "distributed" by a company in the USA - noted small print on label
But it is actually - made for them in a different country

Back