Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

General question regarding re-homing

Rajandlizzie

Lairian
Hi everyone- I might have to re-home my two sweet cats, but I am not sure yet. I have a separate post going about that.
Here is my question: how does one interview and know if someone is a good fit, especially if they live out of town? I would think the ideal situation would be for the new parent to meet the kitties in person first, and then maybe do a ‘trial run’ of a couple of weeks to see how the cats are adjusting, and if all is well.
I see there are people from all over the U.S. on this site. I chose to get involved on this site because it’s legitimate, I feel, after doing some research. Y’all are real Sphynx owners who really love their cat and this breed. However, I am wondering if I would have to seek someone close to me(DFW metroplex in Texas) if I wanted to have them meet in person and maybe stay together for a bit.
Any advice? How did y’all know if you had a good fit?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you'd feel better having someone closeby adopt, then that's what you should aim for. Since it's not an urgent situation you can take your time about it. A visit, homecheck and a home trial are completely reasonable things to wish for, and only shows you care.

As to what you should ask a potential adopter, comes down to what you'd want for Raj and Lizzie. For instance, are there other pets, young kids, space for them to run around, a garden, have they any experience with the breed, financial means, etc etc.... I think you can ask all the questions you'd like, and if you get answers you're happy with, it really just comes down to one thing - gut feeling! :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Can imagine you want to meet the new owners. I think it's good to make a list of things you want to know about them. Things like, do they have others pets, kids, where they life, how much they work etc. You have all right to ask a lot of questions. Everybody who seriously loves pets will understand you want to know all about the new owners and will gladly answer all your questions, invite you to their home and show you they're worth taking care of your crew.

Rajandlizzie

Lairian
If you'd feel better having someone closeby adopt, then that's what you should aim for. Since it's not an urgent situation you can take your time about it. A visit, homecheck and a home trial are completely reasonable things to wish for, and only shows you care.

As to what you should ask a potential adopter, comes down to what you'd want for Raj and Lizzie. For instance, are there other pets, young kids, space for them to run around, a garden, have they any experience with the breed, financial means, etc etc.... I think you can ask all the questions you'd like, and if you get answers you're happy with, it really just comes down to one thing - gut feeling! :)
Thank you very much for the reply! Lots of good advice. :)

Rajandlizzie

Lairian
Can imagine you want to meet the new owners. I think it's good to make a list of things you want to know about them. Things like, do they have others pets, kids, where they life, how much they work etc. You have all right to ask a lot of questions. Everybody who seriously loves pets will understand you want to know all about the new owners and will gladly answer all your questions, invite you to their home and show you they're worth taking care of your crew.
Thank you very much. All good points.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You're not limited to just your city. I've driven several hours to pick up a cat and once I had to spend a night. Not a big deal....I drove up one day and the next day I picked up my cat and drove back home. I talked to the people over the phone a lot so we got all the questions out of the way.

Like everybody says, don't feel bad about asking questions. It's important to do this ahead of the pickup day so that if someone goes to the trouble of driving a long way you don't suddenly find out they aren't right for your cats.

I would also recommend charging a modest fee because if someone can't pay a modest fee I would worry that they might not be able to afford taking care of the kitties. By modest I mean maybe $50 for both cats. The main thing is finding them the right home and keeping them together.

Last edited:

Rajandlizzie

Lairian
You're not limited to just your city. I've driven several hours to pick up a cat and once I had to spend a night. Not a big deal....I drove up one day and the next day I picked up my cat and drove back home. I talked to the people over the phone a lot so we got all the questions out of the way.

Like everybody says, don't feel bad about asking questions. It's important to do this ahead of the pickup day so that if someone goes to the trouble of driving a long way you don't suddenly find out they aren't right for your cats.

I would also recommend charging a modest fee because if someone can't pay a modest fee I would worry that they might not be able to afford taking care of the kitties. By modest I mean maybe $50 for both cats. The main thing is finding them the right home and keeping them together.
Thank you. I appreciate all of the advice!

JCWaellner

Lairian
My husband and I are very interested, we have sphynx experience and have had our hearts broken recently by scams. We have been looking for the last year for furbabies rather non furbabies and haven’t gotten very far. Let’s talk a bit.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Rajandlizzie We looked at rehoming a sphynx nearby to us. We went and spent a good 30 minutes just hanging out and chatting at their house. In the end, they decided to keep the little guy.

But ask them to visit you, you visit them. Look for people who are able to provide whatever it is that you are not able to provide for your two. Make sure they don't have cat allergies. You will be able to get a gut feeling about who is best. And charge a rehoming fee so you know they are serious.

QuinnieCat

Lairian
Hi everyone- I might have to re-home my two sweet cats, but I am not sure yet. I have a separate post going about that.
Here is my question: how does one interview and know if someone is a good fit, especially if they live out of town? I would think the ideal situation would be for the new parent to meet the kitties in person first, and then maybe do a ‘trial run’ of a couple of weeks to see how the cats are adjusting, and if all is well.
I see there are people from all over the U.S. on this site. I chose to get involved on this site because it’s legitimate, I feel, after doing some research. Y’all are real Sphynx owners who really love their cat and this breed. However, I am wondering if I would have to seek someone close to me(DFW metroplex in Texas) if I wanted to have them meet in person and maybe stay together for a bit.
Any advice? How did y’all know if you had a good fit?
If you do end up deciding to rehome them, I am only a little over an hour away from DFW. Im a licensed vet tech working at an animal hospital and I already own a sphynx. We can do a meet and greet or whatever you like if you do end up having to rehome your babies.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@QuinnieCat welcome to the lair family! glad you jumped in to post with us in this fun friendly bunch :)
hope you get a chance to introduce your sphynx.