Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Getting a another Spyhnx

Kiyoko

Lairian
Hi, I am thinking of getting a little brother for my girl Kiyoko who will be about 14 months when I get him, I know that you need to do slow introductions and keep them separated for a few weeks. My question is has anyone introduced their cats straight away and have they got along?
The only thing that concerns me is that my girl sleeps with me on a night and I would love for the new kitten to sleep with us as I don't like the thought of him being on his own on a night even for one night never mind a couple of weeks.
Thanks for any advice.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome….thought you might find this helpful. Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

I know it’s hard to keep them separated and want to bond and love them up as fast as possible, but just for health reasons it can help big time. Getting a wellness check and clear fecal test can save you stress, money and best for your resident cat. Kittens also can get URIs from the stress of going to their forever home and you don’t want your other cat to get one. I also found benefit in having the kittens bond with me before the cat very beneficial. They learn to trust you and look at you as their safe person. Very excited for you. @Kiyoko

Kiyoko

Lairian
Welcome….thought you might find this helpful. Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

I know it’s hard to keep them separated and want to bond and love them up as fast as possible, but just for health reasons it can help big time. Getting a wellness check and clear fecal test can save you stress, money and best for your resident cat. Kittens also can get URIs from the stress of going to their forever home and you don’t want your other cat to get one. I also found benefit in having the kittens bond with me before the cat very beneficial. They learn to trust you and look at you as their safe person. Very excited for you. @Kiyoko
Thank you for the sound advice, and I will read up on the above. I definitely want what's best for both.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have never separated kittens from our clowders over the years. When we got Mr Marcus A. A., we had a vet visit scheduled for an hour after we picked him up. The breeder had already had her vet do a fecal exam, and gave us the report. So Marcus was cleared by the vet before he came home. Our two girls at the time, Cleopatra and our older furry cat, Sydney, did a lot of staring and hissing at him, but would not come near him, nor would they let him near them. He did sleep with us, with the girls shut out of our room, but that was because Sydney would pee on our bed. Cleo chose to sleep with Sydney during hot weather, and come in with us during cold weather.

The staring and hissing continued for about 3 or 4 days, but the girls allowed Marcus to get closer to them each day, until one day, Cleo couldn’t resist playing with him and the cat tunnel. within a week or two, Sydney was sleeping with Marcus in Cleo’s stroller, much to Cleo’s disgust.

I will caution that kittens should never be left alone with older cats until you are sure they won’t be hurting each other. We were lucky that Bob worked at home, and was able to chaperone them.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I should add that Cleo was three years old, and Sydney was 13 years old when Marcus came. When we got Cleo, Sydney and her sister Sadie were 10 years old, and my love, our white long haired Kermit the Terrible was about 16 years old. They were all terrified of this whirlwind, non-stop kitten who invaded their serene home. But they either ignored her or played with her.

Kiyoko

Lairian
I should add that Cleo was three years old, and Sydney was 13 years old when Marcus came. When we got Cleo, Sydney and her sister Sadie were 10 years old, and my love, our white long haired Kermit the Terrible was about 16 years old. They were all terrified of this whirlwind, non-stop kitten who invaded their serene home. But they either ignored her or played with her.
Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Kiyoko

Lairian
You could also sleep with the new kitten for a couple of nights since he's in a completely new environment.
My husband is going to sleep with him for the first few nights, Kiyoko sleeps very close to me so dont want to change her routine . Hopefully he will also want to sleep snuggled up to us once he is settled.

Back