Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Getting a new friend for Arthur, recommended sex of new kitten?

rubytues

Lairian
Hello!
Hoping someone is able to offer some advice.
I and my partner have recently got a sphynx, a little boy called Arthur who is around 4 months old. He is brilliant - the most loving, playful, silly, and hyper cat we have met. We are considering getting a pal for him, another kitten that he can play with, snuggle up to, and follow around. We know that the introduction process can be tricky, and are planning to keep them separate overnights, give them blankets with each other scents on, etc.
What we are struggling with is whether we should look for another little boy or a little girl.
Our vet recommended that we get a girl, as boys and girls tend to have fewer fights over power and territory, however, the vet doesn't have experience of sphynxs and didn't seem to know much about the breed. Our friend has male sphynxes and has said that the males are more friendly (both with each other and with humans) and that females are more independent. However, this is just anecdotal based on cats she has owned.
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether 2 male kittens or a male and a female kitten would be better? (obviously, we know that we would need to spay/neuter if a boy & girl to stop pregnancies!)
TIA for advice :)

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I too was wondering this. I have picked up that a lot of the ladies do have more than 1 boy in their family and it seems to work. I too have a boy and if I were considering a friend for him it would likely be another boy.
My friend has a female and she is very dependent and not interested in human interaction. Whereas my little man loves us humans and wants constant contact. So it all depends on the animals characteristics as too what is best for your baby now.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Was in similar situation before but genders reversed. Was supposed to pick a male kitten as our 2nd baby but picked another female instead bec she was more outgoing which will be provide a better influence on our skittish kitty.

Our female sphynx is an absolute love bug. She sleeps on my chest every night and never misses a chance to give us kisses (nose bops) every chance she gets. Both our cats love constant contact but we’ve trained them to give us a break too at certain hours when we’re busy working.

One female has slightly higher energy but only during dusk and the other (2nd one) is docile.

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
How exciting you're getting a buddy.for Arthur. I think it's more about personality thrn about sexe. I have two boys and a girl and they all get along well. The boys love to cuddle and playfight with eachother. All are neutered btw

Back