Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Getting my boy earlier than expected-Nervous!

ArlosMom

Lairian
Hello everyone. So, my boy Arlo was born on Christmas Day and will be 12 weeks old on March 19th. When we first went to meet Arlo and decided we wanted him to be part of our family, we were told that he would be able to come home after he was 12 weeks old. However, he is getting neutered today and I am told I can pick him up as early as this weekend. What are your thoughts on this? He weighs about 3lbs and is thriving and doing very well, however I am not sure why the change in time frame for getting him. From what I understand, two weeks can make a big difference with these little guys. He is also getting all his vaccinations prior to us getting him. I guess I am just nervous about him coming home; I want to make sure he's healthy and that I do everything right. I will be keep him on his kibble (Fromm Kitten Gold) for a week or so and will then start him on his raw diet (I'm feeding BITR as well as Ziwipeak). He will get one meal of Ziwipeak and two meals of BITR daily. Hopefully he will like the raw food; my understanding is that it is easier to start them when they are young on a raw diet. Fingers crossed!

We've got his "area" all set up (which is basically in my daughter's room for now; until he gets a bit older and can roam the house) with his toys, litter box, kitty tower, etc.. I am kitty-proofing as much as I can. I have wire covers, have put up a barrier on the upstairs railing to prevent him from falling through the rails down to the 1st floor. We also have two small dogs, who are very laid back so I'm not worried about introductions to them, which I will do verrrry slowly, however we also have an older dog (pug/beagle mix) who is just a crazy dog--friendly but barks all the time and can be quite intimidating to a little kitty like Arlo. Suggestions for this introduction? I am thinking of waiting a few weeks; letting my dog get used having the scent of another animal in the house and allowing him to "see" Arlo from afar--we have a gate that separates the family room from the rest of the house and this is where Baxter (our pug/beagle mix) spends most of his time.

So, I know I put a lot here; but if anyone has any thoughts on getting a kitty at only 10 weeks instead of 12 and any suggestions for when he comes home, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you ALL--as always!

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think 10 weeks is too early. Did the breeder mention why she has moved up the release date? It sounds like you are all ready for your new baby!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Most kittens stay with their mommy till 12-14 weeks for socializing. They learn how to play and a lot of other things cats need to know by their mommy.
If mommy cat doesn't want to take care of her kittens anymore or if she's sick then that could be a good reason to let the kittens go to het new home. Otherwise its better to let the kittens with mommy till 12-14 weeks.
But on the other hand: if the breeder doesn't want to take care of the kittens anymore then it's better to take the kittens home also. Better without mommy but with a lot of love and attention then being neglacted or so.

Anyhow it sounds like you're ready for Arlo! He's going to get all the love he needs. Enjoy your gotch day!

ArlosMom

Lairian
Yes, and she just said he's doing well, weight wise, eating well, and is 100% litterbox trained. I guess he's a plump little boy and she said there is no reason why he can't come home this week. She said he should heal quickly after his neuter today and be all ready to go by the weekend. I just don't know if I should question it further or be leery about it, but I suppose getting him home and acclimated is a good thing.
Have you asked the breeder as why she's letting him go earlier?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As tempting as it is to bring them home early, I would leave him until 12 weeks. The extra two weeks will make a big difference in his socialization. It is easier to leave him there and wait it out than it is to kick yourself and wonder if he should have stayed longer.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think that's too early, you pay honest money to a reputable breeder for a healthy kitten.
I'm not saying he isn't healthy, But, most breeders won't even dare let their kittens go before 14-16 wks.
I think even 12 wks is to early for the sphynx. But, it's better than 10 weeks. I would ask her/him, if he can stay
until 12 weeks atleast. You would feel better.

jadeelora

Lairian
I keep my kittens until they are 4 months old. Possibly the mother went into heat and lost interest in her babies?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing the last post, I agree just knowing the reason why the breeder is looking to move your gotcha date is important to you and your baby. There can be reasons it is in the best interest of the breeder, but most importantly in the best interest of the baby.

Patti

ArlosMom

Lairian
I asked why again and was told that the females stay longer (12 weeks), sometimes longer depending on weight and how the spay goes. Males who are healthy and are at a good weight are fine to leave around week 11 (give or take a few days). If I pick my boy up on Saturday, it will only be 10 weeks/2 days (he was born on X-mas). I will ask her if she does 11 weeks for the boys, if we are better off waiting until next weekend instead of this weekend so he is at the 11 week mark. Perhaps she mis-calculated his age? She said she has never heard of a breeder keeping kittens for 14-16 weeks. She said the mother of this litter doesn't bother with the kittens at all and sleeps on the highest part of the cat tree so they can't bother her. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am so in love with this boy and really want what is best; but if he is healthy and thriving, what harm would it do to bring him home so he can bond and socialize with us, since we are going to be with him for the rest of his life? So confused at this point!

I think that's too early, you pay honest money to a reputable breeder for a healthy kitten.
I'm not saying he isn't healthy, But, most breeders won't even dare let their kittens go before 14-16 wks.
I think even 12 wks is to early for the sphynx. But, it's better than 10 weeks. I would ask her/him, if he can stay
until 12 weeks atleast. You would feel better.

ArlosMom

Lairian
I do know that the mother's milk "went bad" a few weeks ago. I am not sure if she went into heat again. She does also have one other cat that had a litter recently so maybe she's just overwhelmed with all the kittens she has! LOL! That's the only other thing I can think of.
I keep my kittens until they are 4 months old. Possibly the mother went into heat and lost interest in her babies?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Trust your gut at this point. None of us know the dynamics like you do. If your baby is healthy and a good solid contract with breeder, none of us can judge or should. Just read contract again and have a wellness vet check with your vet within contract guidelines which is usually within 48 hours. Upon picking up your baby check eyes, nose and butt for any issues....if concerned do not pick up and wait. Do not rob yourself of the joy of gotcha day. We are here for you. As always a URI can creep up on any baby.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@ArlosMom, it's not because of the Mothers milk, that, breeders keep
them that long.it's so they know for sure they are eating well, healthy
and we'll socialized. But, if you seem to think he's eating good, gaining weight
Not sick and have a good health guarantee with your contract.
Then, get your baby. I just know most breeders don't let their kits go this
early. Enjoy your gotcha day and tell us all about it. Looking forward to seeing pics.

ArlosMom

Lairian
So I did talk to the breeder again. She was very understanding that I want what is best for Arlo and offered to keep him longer if I wanted. I think I will go and see him on Saturday--see how he is doing and decide then. When I do get him, I am going to bring him to the vet right away as the contract requires you to do so (within 48 hours) in order to have the two year health guarantee valid. Anything specific I should have the vet check, besides the obvious weight/eyes/nose/mouth, etc.. She had bloodwork done on him Monday before his neuter and everything came back clear. She also said he's doing really well after the neuter. Gosh, I feel like a nervous mother all over again! :nailbiting:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@ArlosMom : you did think it all over and over aghin, talked to the breeder about it, read all the advise here, thinked some more, talked to the breeder again so now it's time...to enjoy gotcha day!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great! Sounds like he's in tip-top shape. Warning! If you go see him on Saturday it's going to be VERY hard not to take him!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Regardless of what you decide, have a spectacular Gotcha Day!!! I'm very excited for you.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Xandria & @Hairless Blessing ; Silly question.. will my boy be able to jump from the floor, up to a regular sized (height) bed? I didn't really think about this, but wondering if I should get some pet stairs for him.
He'll be able to claw his way up, but not sure it you want to condone clawing on the side of the bed, so maybe yes to the stairs. Or, just move something close to the bed (ottoman, foot stool?) that's halfway as high so you won't have to invest in the stairs (which he won't need for very long, they grow like weeds).

Back