Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Getting Outside

earthtorachel

Lairian
We have 3 kids, 2 dogs and our sphynx, Fidget. She's about the best thing ever except she escapes outside all the time! She is only 6 lbs and small, we just don't see her get out when the door is open. She hasn't roamed away from the house itself yet and when she is out there and we catch her, we just call at her and she runs back in the house but I am afraid we are going to drive off one day without knowing she is out there and she is going to get taken or worse hit by a car or attacked by another animal.

Does anyone else deal with this? How do you handle it? I'd like to get her a collar with an id tag but am afraid it is going to chafe as her skin is so sensitive.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi earthtorachel sounds like you have a little problem on your hands. A sphynx will not do well in too hot or too cold weather so keeping her in side is a must along with the worries you have about being taken or being hurt. You are going to make sue the door is closed behind each person and not left open for a second I know with kids this can be quite a task but explain to them that you are just trying to keep their kitty safe.
Also I would try the collar for now that way if she does get lost she can be taken home safe or you can have her micro chipped. Good luck and keep us updated.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Fidget sounds like a fast mover. Maybe a collar with a bell will help you hear her when she goes stealth between you feet. Are your kids old enough to understand how important it is to watch for Fidget and keep the doors closed?

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was having this problem too, so I started putting the cats in a part of the house when I leave where they cannot get to the front door. They were actually sititng by the door and bolting out as I was coming in. Now they just have to live in the other side of the house when no one is home. They don't seem to mind, and usually hang out there now all the time.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have a system in our house that when the dogs need out or someone leaves, we pick up nudie and hold her while the door opens and closes. She likes this because she's being held and getting attention and doesn't realize the door is open. I came up with this because in our house we have 2 kids, 2 dogs, my husband and my mother- talk about a full house and too many opportunities for escape. Good luck, I hope you find a solution- she is too beautiful to lose :)

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have a system in our house that when the dogs need out or someone leaves, we pick up nudie and hold her while the door opens and closes. She likes this because she's being held and getting attention and doesn't realize the door is open. I came up with this because in our house we have 2 kids, 2 dogs, my husband and my mother- talk about a full house and too many opportunities for escape. Good luck, I hope you find a solution- she is too beautiful to lose :)

Great tip! And I'm sure Nudie likes it too.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A quick way to help prevent an escapee would be a collar with a bell like MMSB suggested. I'm paranoid about my cats getting out so the first thing I do when I get one is train them to stay away from the door. I prop the front door open and position myself outside with the garden hose. When I see the head peeking out I squirt away. One or two blasts on about two different training sessions and they never think about even peeking out the door again. It's kind of drastic but it works like a charm and is much safer than relying on all the humans to keep a kitty from escaping, especially kids.

Back