Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

getting to know Sophie

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie has been home for 3 days now. She is either cracking me up or being so cute and snuggly.

- She has had one bath which she hated to much that if I'm carrying her and I go near the kitchen I get clawed to death.

- She attacks laptops and its so funny I don't stop her right away. She sits on the keys so it starts beeping and she scratches at the screen.

- I love when she is playing with a toy then picks it up and runs off with it in her mouth- so cute!

- The other night she attacked my face- claws in thank goodness- I just felt two little paws jump on me in my sleep. This morning she began a sequence of kneading my stomach then biting it then repeating. How does she come up with these things? :LOL:

She's been such a joy!

Last edited:

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sophie will bring more laughter in the years to come. We have had Abby for 6 years and there is not a day that goes by that she doesn't do something to make us laugh.

About bathes, it gets better. Abby still doesn't like it, but she tolerates it. We laugh that when we bring out her bath towel she goes into hiding. Fortunately she has a short attention span and if I go out back she can't stand it and will come meow at the window until I come back in. Then I can nab her and give her a bath. The part she really hates is getting her ears cleaned and nails trimmed!

Brooke

Banned
I agree with what wright878 said - my cats make me laugh out loud every single day, no exceptions! It might be something as small as a funny expression on one of their faces or another one might suddenly jump 3 feet in the air for no apparent reason and then go streaking from one end of the house to the other...non-stop laughs when you share you life with a sphynx!

Mine all have varying degrees of hatred for bathtime. They all tolerate it, but Helen will actually stand in the bathtub and purr...too bad she's the one that only needs a bath about once every 2 or 3 months!

Congratulations! I know it'll just get better and better with her as time goes by!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So great Heather sounds like your past 3 days have been wonderful:ThumbsUp:
Look foward to all your stories to come! and don't worry baths will get better!:Sweat:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I understand exactly what you mean about Sophie being a character. Lemmy is the same way. I just love that they are cuddly one minute and mischevious the next. I hope that you enjoy her as much as I enjoy Lemmy!!

PitRottMommy

Banned
She has had one bath which she hated to much that if I'm carrying her and I go near the kitchen I get clawed to death.

Baldwin was never a big fan of bathtime until I switched to actually using the bathtub. Once he realized he had a chance to move around and play in the bubbles, it became tolerable for him. He now doesn't mind them at all.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks - I'm glad to hear that baths get better. :Laugh:

BREAKING NEWS - My future MIL came over to meet her and she says she likes Sophie! She wasn't enthusiastic-but she is NOT afraid to state her mind. So- I do think she likes her a little! Its definitely a relief because they live like a mile away and I would forever have to hear about it.

What really sucks is I may have to put my bf Joe in Human Rescue because he's allergic :Sad: . He's been taking Claritin since a half hour after we got her but still gets itchy eyes. Some people have recommended the non drowsy Zyrtec but he's upset about taking a pill everyday (I told him try being a woman- haha.) I'm going to get one of those HEPA air filters and hopefully that will help. Does anyone use these that could recommend a brand?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi my sphynx makes my eyes and ears itch but im not as bad as when i first got him so hopefully it might settle after a while for your boyf! Mo wasnt impressed when he started having baths but now hes not bothered at all and quite enjoys them. He isnt keen on being dried tho!

ellie4-12

Lairian
hehe, it sounds like Sophie is providing you with lots of entertainment! Don't worry.. it will continue for many, many years to come :) hopefully the night attacks do allow you to sleep though!!

It's my favorite when little kittens decide to attack furniture because they feel it is moving or something? And they are rolling all around attacking every bit of it! SO cute!

Has Sophie figured out that human food tastes good yet? I don't think dinner at home was ever the same with Harry around. That cat would do anything for mashed potatoes or cheese.. :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks - I'm glad to hear that baths get better. :Laugh:

BREAKING NEWS - My future MIL came over to meet her and she says she likes Sophie! She wasn't enthusiastic-but she is NOT afraid to state her mind. So- I do think she likes her a little! Its definitely a relief because they live like a mile away and I would forever have to hear about it.

What really sucks is I may have to put my bf Joe in Human Rescue because he's allergic :Sad: . He's been taking Claritin since a half hour after we got her but still gets itchy eyes. Some people have recommended the non drowsy Zyrtec but he's upset about taking a pill everyday (I told him try being a woman- haha.) I'm going to get one of those HEPA air filters and hopefully that will help. Does anyone use these that could recommend a brand?

Sorry to hear about the allergy, I would say for now don't let Sophie sleep in the same room as Joe :Cry: (really she will be fine) and tell him Zyrtec is safe I work for A doctor and tons of kids take it every day!
Good Luck:ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
hehe, it sounds like Sophie is providing you with lots of entertainment! Don't worry.. it will continue for many, many years to come :) hopefully the night attacks do allow you to sleep though!!

It's my favorite when little kittens decide to attack furniture because they feel it is moving or something? And they are rolling all around attacking every bit of it! SO cute!

Has Sophie figured out that human food tastes good yet? I don't think dinner at home was ever the same with Harry around. That cat would do anything for mashed potatoes or cheese.. :)

Yeah Sophie attacks the button-like things on the side of my couch and pounces on it in general. It is really cute!

Her first taste of human food was kind of random- my bf had macaroni salad and she went at it when she saw it on the table! She licked the dressing off the macaroni itself- :LOL: .

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear about the allergy, I would say for now don't let Sophie sleep in the same room as Joe :Cry: (really she will be fine) and tell him Zyrtec is safe I work for A doctor and tons of kids take it every day!
Good Luck:ThumbsUp:

Oh I'm glad you said that. He was concerned about taking it everyday. I tried looking online a bit for info on that and read that some people were prescribed Claritin for years before it was over the counter and had no issue so it makes sense that its harmless. I'm going to get him some Zyrtec though because a lot of people say they like it better.

I've been sleeping downstairs with Sophie and Joe has been upstairs. He works mostly nights so he sleeps alone during the day anyway. :Laugh: Darn allergies! :Angry:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I swear I stared at the MIL for soooooooooooooo long. I kept thinking it meant move in lover, but then you said she and I swore you had once talked about your fiance so then I had to stare at it longer before I realized it was mother in law:LOL: Anyway I'm off that tangent now....so glad to hear that sophie is doing good. I remember when I first got Meecho it would almost feel like a panic attack at the end of the day because I couldn't wait to rush home to be with her. Oh whom I kidding I still feel that way:Laugh:

Back