Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Getting to know you

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Just browsing thru the Lair tonight, as usual! lol I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to share what they do for a living.

I'm currently laid off due to downsizing but my overall career is General/Operations Management of Hotels and/or call centers. I prefer a fast paced job where I'm on call 24/7 and I'm constantly busy with either my personal life or work life. I don't like to sit around because then I just stress out over lifes general crap it throws at you.

Since I'm laid off I picked up my old childhood and teen hobby of making clothes. I decided to start making Snuffie's clothes and then after a few friends suggested I sell them I decided to advertise here on the Lair. I'm thankful that a very good handful of you have taken interest as you have been keeping me busy and I greatly appreciate it. I'm not going crazy anymore and I feel like I have something to do again. I'm loving it. I'm also a single mother of 3 children, divorced about 8 years ago and its been a huge custody battle ever since. Hopefully that will all come to a end soon. Anyhow, thats me in a nutshell.

J

Jinxlover

I'm a stay at home mom of two kids. Hope 8 and Noah 20mo. I have one Great Dane, blueberry and I'm keeping a kitten. I'm getting a Chinese Crested soon(this fall). I'm one of the most boring people you could ever meet:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Well I'm sort of a stay at home mom right now too. lol I just work for you guys when you place orders!! Other than that I keep house, and I pick up my boyfriends son from school or babysit for my boyfriend while he is at work. He has a 10 yr old son who is severe ADHD and he pushes every button I have but I try to remind myself he can't help it. We only have 1 Sphynx right now, and then plan is to get another this summer,,,Im so excited! I doubt your all that boring!! lol

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am sorry Jinxlover, I am the most boring one here. Kids are grown and gone. My interests now are vegetable gardening and making cheese. How dorky is that? I have worked at the University of Texas for 30 years (I started when I was 12). My title is Administrative Projects Coordinator, which basicaly means I am a party planner. Anyone need a party planner, I'm your girl! I have a 6 y/o Sphynx, a 2 y/o chihuahua and a wonderful husband of 28 years. Married a nice Catholic boy who didn't believe in divorce, so he is stuck with me!:BigSmile:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been in insurance for 20 yrs. Started in claims and now am in billing. Not very exciting but it pays the bills. My passion (& degree) is in music. I love camping and hope to someday own a tiny little cabin in the woods somewhere :ThumbsUp: I also enjoy word puzzles and cross-stitching. I'm single/never married.....just me & my 2 bald babies.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am 35, I was a dog groomer for 7 years and a vet tech before that. We moved about 2 years ago to give our kids a better school district, We sold our 11 acres and horses, goats pigs, donkeys and chickens and now live on one acre with 4 dogs, and 6 cats! (we brought the barn cats with us too, lol) I divorced once and then married my HS sweetheart. We have 5 children total his, mine, and ours. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 2 years since my last (final!!) son was born, and am currently enrolled in college for pre veterinary medicine. My husband is the police chief in our town. I hope to one day show and breed Borzoi:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I am 35, I was a dog groomer for 7 years and a vet tech before that. We moved about 2 years ago to give our kids a better school district, We sold our 11 acres and horses, goats pigs, donkeys and chickens and now live on one acre with 4 dogs, and 6 cats! (we brought the barn cats with us too, lol) I divorced once and then married my HS sweetheart. We have 5 children total his, mine, and ours. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 2 years since my last (final!!) son was born, and am currently enrolled in college for pre veterinary medicine. My husband is the police chief in our town. I hope to one day show and breed Borzoi:ThumbsUp:

Awesome - I've always thought they were pretty dogs!!:ThumbsUp:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My professional resume is similar to yours chutkuhn. Accept about 7-8 years ago I left the call center part and started working on internal operations. Call centers can be a beating. Some people out there think you owe them the world. They expect too much and lack any kind of common decency. Whenever I'm in the position of customer I always think to myself, that's a person on the other end of the phone and they don't owe you squat, if there is a problem, they will be less likely to help you so don't be rude. It was even worse when I worked for an airline.

Now after all these years, I think another call center job may be in the cards. Not looking forward to it.

dragynflye

Lairian
i'm a mom. ariana's 25 months now (sniff), and is my entire world. we just recently moved from alaska to oklahoma, and since moving here, i've not had a face to face conversation with an adult other than my husband. i'm wicked shy, and hate oklahoma. i'm counting down the years until we can move back to alaska.

my other "kids" are river- 3 year old pit/mix (officially listed as a boxer/american bull dog to placate the stoopid people), watson- 7 month old pita boxer, 6 girlie rats, 3 ancient methuselah ferrets, and, of course, the 2 new kitty boys.

some day, we will live in the alaskan wilderness, near enough to anchorage, but far enough to enjoy the solitude. we hope to open a book store. we also plan to breed/show great danes and probably otterhounds.

firehillqueen

Banned
I am semi-retired, I was a professional Halloween Event Designer for the Six Flags Parks when they were owned by Time Warner. I still work, when requested, as a book cover artist. I dearly love fantasy art.

Five years ago I quit the magazine I helped start. The hours and the drive were just too much. My bread and butter money is made by photo/ digital art. I redo photos by taking out the cluttered background and replace it with either scenery I have created or with different photo backgrounds.

I attend Renaissance Faires as the persona of Queen Marguerite Navarre. ( Or as a fairy godmother)

I am also a founding member of the Krewe of the Loving Dead, Zombie Pirates. We trek to New Orleans once a year for the Pirate Con there. We are planning to schedule a few more pirate events this year, if time, and kitties, allows.

With the children all grown and gown it is just me and Richard at home. We live on 7 acres outside Ft. Worth. We have six horses, 5 chihuahua dogs, 3 Sphynx cats. I dearly love my Sphynx cats and plan to start showing this June in Fort Worth Texas. We will see how these babies take to the showing. Maybe... just maybe I will get into breeding Sphynx.

holly_savage

Banned
Well, I am 33. Living in sin with my wonderful boyfriend of 4 years, Hibou and our 3 aquariums. I don't have a career per se, I just tend to be lucky at landing decent jobs.
After the typical teenage babysitting and working at the school library jobs, I moved on to McDonalds, spent 5 years there, until working with the teenagers that are clueless and the housewives that were catty drove me to look for a different job. So the add for truck drivers needed...100% guaranteed job placement caught my attention. I got a student loan and went and got my AZ licence. Spent the next 2 years trucking across the US and Canada, then moved into the office and spent the next 6 years dispatching the trucks for them and doing just about every job that was to be done in that place. During this time I met Greg (online dating...yes I admit it!:Woo:) and after 2 years of dating we moved in together and have been ever since. After I moved to this town, I found a job at the local school bus company dispatching the School Routes...I think my official title is School Route Administrator...but whatever. It's a job,it has it's good points and bad points but it pays the bills and keeps me in Sphynx and Sphynx paraphenalia!:LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My professional resume is similar to yours chutkuhn. Accept about 7-8 years ago I left the call center part and started working on internal operations. Call centers can be a beating. Some people out there think you owe them the world. They expect too much and lack any kind of common decency. Whenever I'm in the position of customer I always think to myself, that's a person on the other end of the phone and they don't owe you squat, if there is a problem, they will be less likely to help you so don't be rude. It was even worse when I worked for an airline.

Now after all these years, I think another call center job may be in the cards. Not looking forward to it.

Cool - We rock!! LOL:ThumbsUp:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry Jinxlover, I am the most boring one here. Kids are grown and gone. My interests now are vegetable gardening and making cheese. How dorky is that? I have worked at the University of Texas for 30 years (I started when I was 12). My title is Administrative Projects Coordinator, which basicaly means I am a party planner. Anyone need a party planner, I'm your girl! I have a 6 y/o Sphynx, a 2 y/o chihuahua and a wonderful husband of 28 years. Married a nice Catholic boy who didn't believe in divorce, so he is stuck with me!:BigSmile:

I usually have a small vegetable garden. Usually peppers and tomatoes. Very easy to grow. I added beans to the mix this year. And the catnip once again is threatening my poor peppers. I swear last year I harvested over 100 habaneros off one plant and what seemed like 1000 tobascos. They're just too dang hot to eat though. They look really cool though. Almost like a christmas tree with different colored lights. At one point I had a red, yellow and orange bell pepper plant growing next to each other. In October we had so many bell peppers we had to throw most of them away. I was putting jalapenos and bell peppers in everything. I can't wait to find a place with a bigger yard. I want to expand into the harder to grow veggies.

holly_savage

Banned
Oh yeah, I meant to mention my garden too...I love to garden...I plant tomatoes and cucumbers and then whatever else I can to fill in the leftover the space. Garden salsa peppers, onions, peas, pumpkins, zuchini...just depends on what available at the co-op! And I also like my day lillies and columbines (my favs!) Apart from work and gardening, we go to a lot of concerts / shows, spend time with the niece and nephews and we like to travel...My lifelong goal is to go to as many places as I possibly can before I die. Machu Pichu in Peru and Jerusalem / Turkey are next on our agenda!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You people in the call centers have my deepest respect. You guys earn every single penny you make! Just this last Monday, my new full-time job description has become rectifying problems that the call center couldn't handle in their given timeframe, which is ridiculously low in my opinion. How in the heck can you give great customer service when you're trying to get off the phone in 90 seconds??? Just seeing the written problems that come down from those phone calls gives me a headache. I can't imagine being on the receiving end of that call. Either way, I'm with ElGato. Be NICE to people and they will treat you much better.

Okay, now on a totally different note......Firehillqueen, I LOVE Renaissance Faires. That is AWESOME!!!

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
I am 32 years old, and a Director of Rehabilitation in a busy nursing home. I am an occupational therapist. I own a 1 bedroom condo that my sphynx shares with me. I am a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band and will hit my 100th concert this summer. I live for traveling all over the country with my concert friends.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've always wanted to dress up like a wench. Maybe we could have a Pirate or Renaissance Night at our Las Vegas get-together next Spring....Hey, we could use an Event Planner to help us plan it! (hint hint) :LOL::LOL:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great thread!!

I am 35 married with 5 girls ages 14,13,9,2 and 1! I also have Abby(Siamese) 2, Snuggles 6 months, Casper 3 Months! I am currently a lic. Realtor which I have been doing for a yr now. We live down here in FL! We have lived here for 4 yrs! I love it down here! I used to be a corrections officer but was in a car accident (not my fault) and was not able to return:ThumbsDown:. I really loved that job!

Back