Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

giardia treatment - flagyl - are sphynx sensitive to this drug?

spikesmom

Lairian
Hi Everyone,

My cats have giardia (5 1/2 year old HCM male, and 9 month old female). I worry about drug interractions with my delicate little flowers.

they don't tolerate being force-fed 2 cc of Panacur and they are too wise to know when I put in in there food...they turn into velociraptors. I need a better option but an option that won't hurt them (HCM, or general sphinx sensitiveness). also, the last time panacur was used it did not work for giardia....any advice would be great....

Thanks!
Cyndi

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I force fed my two the Panacur with a needleless syringe and another person to help hold the cats and pry their jaws apart. Maybe you can try the pill form? And get one of the pill shooters?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi Everyone,

My cats have giardia (5 1/2 year old HCM male, and 9 month old female). I worry about drug interractions with my delicate little flowers.

they don't tolerate being force-fed 2 cc of Panacur and they are too wise to know when I put in in there food...they turn into velociraptors. I need a better option but an option that won't hurt them (HCM, or general sphinx sensitiveness). also, the last time panacur was used it did not work for giardia....any advice would be great....

Thanks!
Cyndi

These medicines happen to taste so horrible, that's why the intolerance to being forced to take it. I prefer the pill form of the Flagyl since it's a tiny blue pill that can be hidden in a tiny piece of cheese, a pill pocket or worse comes to worse...use the pill shooter.

Good luck, Cyndi, I didn't know you are going through giardia.

Robin

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Pills work best with my sphynx kitties. Emma is currently taking 4 pills a day (2 predinsone and 2 antibiotics) one is for her chemo and the other is for her recent URI...UGH!

Pill poppers are amazing!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Cyndi

I forgot to mention before that Flagyl is fine for a sphynx to take. I've used it many times on them.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Loki used to be okay with pill pockets but no more...a pill popper is the best thing going!!!

Patti

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My girl cat was diagnosed with this and both were given flagyl .25ml twice daily.They were given first dose this morning and hated it!!! Fought me.The phamacist even put chicken flavor in it but they were not happy...any ideas?? Or just tough it out.Its for 8 days. They were also given lysine as well.They like that..thank goodness!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My girl cat was diagnosed with this and both were given flagyl .25ml twice daily.They were given first dose this morning and hated it!!! Fought me.The phamacist even put chicken flavor in it but they were not happy...any ideas?? Or just tough it out.Its for 8 days. They were also given lysine as well.They like that..thank goodness!!

Are you giving her a liquid or a pill? I hope it's a pill...I can surely help you with that. Flagyl tastes HORRIBLE so that's why I always want to give my pets the pill form. Yet, if the pill begins to melt in their mouths or if they land up chewing a piece of it, they won't like that either. Just a horrible tasting medicine.
If you do have the liquid, maybe see if you can exchange it for the pill form. For your cat, it would be a very tiny blue pill.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We just dealt with that and dosed ours with that and Pancur. I was told Pancur kills it best.... We used liquid and pills.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh god yes GoldHazel the liquid...they HATE it and the girl has spit it out so gonna have to do something.Will the pharmacy charge me again??It was 70 bucks for both bottles. They said the pill takes longer to make and were about to close so thats why I went ahead and got the liquid.My boy swallows it but gets mad and gives me sad eyes.I'm afraid they will start giving me trouble with baths and nail clipping time bc of this...I do not want it to create problems in other areas and have them running from me all the time!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh god yes GoldHazel the liquid...they HATE it and the girl has spit it out so gonna have to do something.Will the pharmacy charge me again??It was 70 bucks for both bottles. They said the pill takes longer to make and were about to close so thats why I went ahead and got the liquid.My boy swallows it but gets mad and gives me sad eyes.I'm afraid they will start giving me trouble with baths and nail clipping time bc of this...I do not want it to create problems in other areas and have them running from me all the time!!

I used the liquid one once on a furry cat many years ago. NEVER again will I ever do that. LOL I was fearing for my life each time I had to give Kiwi liquid Flagyl. Each day I said, "I can just see the headlines of our newspaper now, "Cat Lady Gets Mauled by Own Cat While Administering Meds!"
We don't get our pet meds from the pharmacy for humans here. I get them at my vet's office. It doesn't hurt to call the pharmacy and tell them that they were closing and didn't have time to fill the Rx for the pills. Explain that the liquid isn't working out. Doesn't hurt to call them.
Good luck. :) Let me know.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I called the pharmacy and was told I would need to talk to the manager about whether I would have to pay again for liquid to pill exchange.So got to administer it to them at least one more time.I have found to wrap them up in a towel helps but you have to be quick.I am hoping I wont have to pay.I have trupanion pet insurance and not sure what they cover...maybe a new thread for that one? Either way i will let you know what happens...thanks!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I called the pharmacy and was told I would need to talk to the manager about whether I would have to pay again for liquid to pill exchange.So got to administer it to them at least one more time.I have found to wrap them up in a towel helps but you have to be quick.I am hoping I wont have to pay.I have trupanion pet insurance and not sure what they cover...maybe a new thread for that one? Either way i will let you know what happens...thanks!

You are welcome. Good luck.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well kind folks I had the babies back to the vet for check-ups and their wellness exams.My boy tested positive for giardia.Last time it was my girl.They only have bottled water and I keep their bowls clean. Now this time the girl that called to confirm only mentioned him taking a pill (not flagyl liquid this time??)..can't remember what she said it was.So I asked shouldnt I have them both on meds again since they share bowls?? She wasn't sure...so said she guessed so.Why does this seem odd to me?? Oh and while at the vet my girl blew a snot rocket so they decided to give them both shots for URI and to be repeated in 10 days.Then have to be re-checked on URI and stools re-checked after meds given....does it ever end? What am I doing wrong?? I love my babies!!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
http://sphynxlair.com/community/ind...-cat-with-Diarrhea-(Giardia).3610/#post-49698

@Crombie00 Above is helpful info about giardia. Do not think you are doing something wrong...it is relationship between you and a vet to get things on track. It is my understanding that a home with multiple cats, they all should all be treated when giardia is diagnosed. After the rounds of meds replace the litter boxes to be safe. We had to do that...and it worked. In the meantime be sure to clean the boxes out several times a day. Disinfect surfaces cats are on frequently like tables, countertops etc.

URI on top of it is not fun. Are you using L-Lysine? Might be a great booster for you to use since immune system are a bit compromised...it can't hurt that is for sure. No doubt you love your babies...just question your vet and pick their brains. They often are pen minded to suggestions. Did you talk to your breeder and see if they too have tips?

patti

Last edited:

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No I was referring to the care of the babies.I keep everything clean,only use bottled water etc..It was an issue from the breeder and the first round of meds didnt work for him I guess? The meds being given will be metronidazole 1/4 tablet 2xs dly. Anyone know about this??
And yes I use Lysine and they both love them as treats!! I get them from amazon.
My breeder seemed to not want to talk about it and seemed defensive..so not sure how to deal with that.The contract was considered broken by my vet since they came to me sick so....?? I will do what it takes to get them both well.Love them to death.
The boy has been sleeping more since our vet visit but is eating,pottying and playing fine.Just snoozing more.My girl is her usual self:)

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have had my rounds with metronidazole. One of mine had runny,mucousy poops so both of my babies were put on it. The dosage sounds right. Cats hate the med, as I'm sure you are finding out lol, it supposedly taste terrible. I washed my water dishes, litter boxes in a Clorox and water mix constantly, but as I said, the vet medicated both of my sphynx.ugh what an awful time that was. I feel for you.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks I actually start today and have no clue how to get them to take it..any food to put it in? Can I crush it up? I heard pumpkin and have a can but have no clue if they will eat it..maybe just pry open their mouths and pray I can get it down?? Thanks everyone and please post anything that can help...I really love this community.Would have been lost w.o it:)

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just open their mouth and stick it in their throat, then hold mouth closed and rub their throat and watch for the swallow. Mine would find it in any food I tried to hide it in.

Back