Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gio learned how to sit!

Treespirit

Lairian
That is super awesome! When I worked at the SPCA they were teaching us some ways of training cats, however I never got to try any out. I should try some out on Lyra when she is a bit older. Gio sitting is amazing, by the way. Love it!

GioThermal

Lairian
Wow - good job!!! What kind of treats do you use? Snuffie always wants her treats but is reluctant to do a trick for me other than to stand up on her hind legs! lol

I use the "POUNCE" soft chew in a small container with a purple lid. He loves them. He has sitting down very well... to the point where I don't need a treat. He comes when I call his name. I think I want to focus on "up" and "down" now. He has a issue with jumping up on the counter tops where there is food around. He eats everything in sight! So yeah... he learned it in two days! I can't believe how smart these cats are... he's only 12 months old.

I taught him by holding the treat over his head and telling him "sit". I wouldn't give him the treat until his butt and all four paws were on the floor. He also knows "sit up" where he sits and puts his paws up.

These cats are smarter than most dogs!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
aww - I use the same treats too. Snuffie seems to like the crunchy ones better so whatever. I'll give her what she wants. lol

You "sit up" command is what we say to Snuffie to sit pretty. She has that one down pat,,,now I'll just work on SIT and see if I can do that. OH!! And COME HERE! lol Most of the time she gives us that look like: YEA, WHATS IN IT FOR ME?!" lol

GioThermal

Lairian
aww - I use the same treats too. Snuffie seems to like the crunchy ones better so whatever. I'll give her what she wants. lol

You "sit up" command is what we say to Snuffie to sit pretty. She has that one down pat,,,now I'll just work on SIT and see if I can do that. OH!! And COME HERE! lol Most of the time she gives us that look like: YEA, WHATS IN IT FOR ME?!" lol

I can't tell Gio to sit pretty or he will scratch my eyes out. :LOL: He's a total boy. I don't normally use "come"... I'll just say his name and damn it he better come! :LOL:
I was going to try to teach him to "lay down" but I think his whole breed pretty much has that one down to a science.

GioThermal

Lairian
Oh! I have a short video of Gio saying "Ma-ma". It's on my cell phone. I will try to load it to the computer tomorrow and will post it for you all to laugh at. Now I just need to teach him to say "my kitty litter needs changed"!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I usually say "Snuffie, come here" in a really sweet tone but she just looks at me sometimes. lol Most of the time she is already in my lap or on my shoulder. She sits on my shoulder alot when I'm sewing,,she also likes to tap the spool sometimes, its rather comical. But yeah - having her learn some "tricks" is defintley on the wish list!!

GioThermal

Lairian
Gio has never once attempted to sit on my shoulder... he's pretty big. He's a lap cat. Nyiah on the other had loves to sit on my shoulder when I let her. She is 8 months old... or at least that is what the breeder told me. I think she is younger than that. Gia was a lap cat so I've never had one that perched on my shoulder. It should be pretty interesting considering I have scoliosis (sp)... I'm slightly lopsided... Nyiah may be digging her claws into me to stay on for the ride. :LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It should be pretty interesting considering I have scoliosis (sp)... I'm slightly lopsided... Nyiah may be digging her claws into me to stay on for the ride. :LOL:

haha - Me too! I always have Snuffie perch on my "high" side to relieve the pressure on my neck and spine..The heat from her body helps a achy back n neck too!

Back