Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Girl cat running out the door...

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My girl sphynx who is 1 yr and 5 months old has started running out the door when I open it. I am really having to watch her. There are strays in my neighborhood and I have seen them on my porch even.
What can I do to help stop this? Should I train her on a leash inside and then take her to safe places for walks I think she could be trained but not sure that would be a good idea? They are indoor only. They have claws.
She will sit and whine and even climb on the couch and try to fiddle w. the door knob!! She runs from me when she gets out too.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Crombie00 ,
When I adopted Batman and Yoda who are relentless at the door (previous owner give me a heads up)
I started training - a work in progress :)

I open doors soooo slowly and shuffle in and out with my feet while holding the door the entire time
- *** I walk thru doors backwards slowly
Give a verbal command "ah" back"

***I try training them to a spot with treats when I come and go- I use the bed away from the door
Or their cat tree in the other room by the back French doors-

For the French door I am using a type of baby gate improvise that I keep by he door and flip with my wrist beck in place when I go in and out- it's cheap $15 , lightweight And works for now while they are in kitty stay away from the door boot camp! I don't car for the look of it in my gym room door area but their safety is first
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Summer-Scroll-860053/203014825/
They are getting better month by month :)

*I would pick a spot and put treats there when you leave and come in
Timing is everything- I keep a bag of treats by the door to grab quick
Reward the behavior you want
Mine is a brat and screams at me to open the door and tries opening the door handle
I pick him up and move him away win a firm no
And no reward no matter how cute he sucks up to me!

If we have anyone over, I put them up in my bedroom to play it safe

Whn I use the garage door , I always may sure it is closed all the way before I enter the house
Before going in the house

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall, is she spayed? It is safety issue at this point. Having a can of compressed air by the door or a squirt gun might help. If you do not nip this early on, it can become a huge issue so time to be strict.

Patti

Last edited:

Momrat329

Lairian
My female is the 'runner' as well. I always have to be vigilant when entering and exiting. My male seems like he could care less. He is perched in the windows and watches the world intently, but doesnt want to be out in it. LOL

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Trying to train her is de best you can do (@Yoda mom mom and @Catzzzmeow did give you great advice). My boys are runners as well. If I come home they're just happy to see me. But when I open the door to leave then they try to run. Most of the time I leave the house by the backdoor so they only run into the garden that's surrounderd by a fence (still I have to catch them quickly cause of course they would be able to climb the fence). But I'm trying to train them to be safe!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Trying to train her is de best you can do (@Yoda mom mom and @Catzzzmeow did give you great advice). My boys are runners as well. If I come home they're just happy to see me. But when I open the door to leave then they try to run. Most of the time I leave the house by the backdoor so they only run into the garden that's surrounderd by a fence (still I have to catch them quickly cause of course they would be able to climb the fence). But I'm trying to train them to be safe!

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is tough!
At my old place, I had a sliding glass door. It was easy for me to see Dexter at the door when coming in so I could stick my foot in first and shoo him away. Leaving was a different story. Once time he tried to run out and I thought I closed the door before he got to it and he ended up banging his head pretty hard on the door. He stayed away from the door after that. I felt bad for months!

At my new place, the front door goes to a hall and the back door goes outside.
Gemma ran out the front door once but it was ok because we were still inside.

Luckily I have a door to my dining room that I can close so when I exit the back door, they're already shut out.

I use the Stop That Spray to try and get them away from the front door.
I have also found that making a very high pitched quick "EEE" sound has the same effect.
Whenever they're getting into trouble, I just go "EEE" as squeaky as I can and they stop what they're doing and look at me. They usually do not go back to their mischief.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Try giving the cat a perch near the door. We call it a greeting spot. They all come and sit there when someone comes home. Gives them somewhere to move to and we greet them there.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My female is the 'runner' as well. I always have to be vigilant when entering and exiting. My male seems like he could care less. He is perched in the windows and watches the world intently, but doesnt want to be out in it. LOL
I have the exact same cats as you I think..lol. My boy loves his naps and food..forget the outside world. He only likes watching out the windows.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Catzzz sorry I never replied that she is spayed. Both are fixed. She has started trying again. I think the reason is partly due to two neighbors letting their cats roam the neighborhood. My boy just watches them thru the sliding glass door. Also she is super curious so guess I will have to use spray bottle again?

Back