Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gleek is a Mouser!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Mice have a way of finding their way into our 60 year old house, especially in the Fall as the nighttime temperatures start to drop. Shortly after I got my kids out the door this morning I discovered a live mouse in my mudroom.

Since I would rather deal with a live mouse that gnarled up innards, I have developed a great catch and release technique whereas I grab the critter in a towel and throw it into the woods off our back deck. However, this wasn't going to work with this guy. Not only was he fast, he was a jumper (which usually causes me to shriek).

Little did I know that I had a fierce mouser in my midst. Gleek caught sight of the intruder and grabbed him in his mouth in mid jump. Gleek then ran into the living room where I cornered him and picked him up. I tried using the towel to release the mouse but Gleek just clamped down as hard as he could and wouldn't let go. I couldn't get him to open his mouth despite putting my cold fingers on his belly or trying to pry his mouth open. It took a blast of cold air from an open window for him to open his jaws. But alias the mouse was dead. Serves him right I suppose since he didn't let me catch him in a towel to begin with.

So my gentle show kitten and future pet therapy cat is an efficient killer. It looks as if Gleek might have a busy Fall.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good for him. :)
Cats are and should be cats in situations like that. I am sure darwin is a good hunter as well even though he is not likely to ever get the chance to show it, at least not where I live now in an appartment off the ground floor.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
This really makes me laugh! We first got Leo because of the same old house and mice thing so figured if we get a cat he will get rid of the mice, well 2 cats later and lots of babies we still have mice because they could care less and do not even try to catch them.
There was a time before I kept the dry food in a plastic container with a lid that I was pouring food into Leo's dish and poured a mouse onto my hand and into his dish well I jumped up onto the couch screaming while Leo joined me (minus the scream) while my husband and our daughter and her friend laughed at me. Well the sucker ran straight across the room and under the basement door as Leo stood next to me on the arm of the couch shaking.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Can I borrow Gleek so he can show Snuffie and SoBe how its done!?!?! We are still trying to catch the mouse we first found was living with us...uhhh what was it,,2 months ago maybe?!?! Snuffie has cornered it a few times and smacked it a few times but she won't bite it or pick it up. And lil SoBe just sits back and watches the whole deal go down and watches the little mouse scurry and squeak away!
And I of course refuse to let Jimmy use a trap that will kill or harm it in anyway,,,even tho I'm terrified of it! lol Lord help us!

Gizzymom

Banned
Mice have a way of finding their way into our 60 year old house, especially in the Fall as the nighttime temperatures start to drop. Shortly after I got my kids out the door this morning I discovered a live mouse in my mudroom.

Since I would rather deal with a live mouse that gnarled up innards, I have developed a great catch and release technique whereas I grab the critter in a towel and throw it into the woods off our back deck. However, this wasn't going to work with this guy. Not only was he fast, he was a jumper (which usually causes me to shriek).

Little did I know that I had a fierce mouser in my midst. Gleek caught sight of the intruder and grabbed him in his mouth in mid jump. Gleek then ran into the living room where I cornered him and picked him up. I tried using the towel to release the mouse but Gleek just clamped down as hard as he could and wouldn't let go. I couldn't get him to open his mouth despite putting my cold fingers on his belly or trying to pry his mouth open. It took a blast of cold air from an open window for him to open his jaws. But alias the mouse was dead. Serves him right I suppose since he didn't let me catch him in a towel to begin with.

So my gentle show kitten and future pet therapy cat is an efficient killer. It looks as if Gleek might have a busy Fall.
That is awesome!!! Way to go, Gleek!!! See??? I told my friend that fierce jungle cats CAN be pink!!!! :LOL::LOL:

susi794

Staff member
This really makes me laugh! We first got Leo because of the same old house and mice thing so figured if we get a cat he will get rid of the mice, well 2 cats later and lots of babies we still have mice because they could care less and do not even try to catch them.
There was a time before I kept the dry food in a plastic container with a lid that I was pouring food into Leo's dish and poured a mouse onto my hand and into his dish well I jumped up onto the couch screaming while Leo joined me (minus the scream) while my husband and our daughter and her friend laughed at me. Well the sucker ran straight across the room and under the basement door as Leo stood next to me on the arm of the couch shaking.
ROFLMAO!!!!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay gleek! You are so lucky! Nofuratu just lets them loose in my bed. He has done that twice now!
A couple of days ago I crushed and almost slipped on a dead rat that my other, hairy cat left in the middle of the dining room floor! I actually skidded on it!
But I didnt complain because at least I was wearing shoes!
2 years ago he left a dead mouse in the living room doorway and I will never forget the feeling of the skull crunching under my bare foot!!!! UGH!!!
still makes me shudder!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The whole incident really caught me off guard. Our other boys would have cared less. As far as Tanker was concerned if it gave off heat, he would cuddle with it.

Gleek is the most laid back, 'mature acting' kitten I have ever owned. He doesn't even attack his mouse toys. So it was very ironic to have to pry the first mouse he has ever seen from his jaws of death. I guess it shows that despite having an indoor breed, they really do have deep rooted hunting instincts.

I am grateful that the mouse was in one piece. I have learned the hard way with our other cats is if I can identify the object in the early morning hours without my glasses on or a full cup of coffee, I shouldn't ever pick it up.

Yay Gleek! I laughed reading that as I could just picture him proudly holding it in his mouth as you were trying to get him to let go!

I had to laugh picturing Leo up on the sofa with Momma hiding from the scary mouse! :LOL:

I love these kinds of stories!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you thought the image of me struggling to get Gleek to release the mouse was funny, you should have heard me.

OoooAhhWahooOOhMyyOooEwwAhhh

:LOL:

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you for the Friday morning laugh! I could picture it from your description. Especially the sounds you made as you tried to get the mouse out of Gleek's mouth.:LOL::LOL:

I try my best to not think about what Abby has been eating (usually Geckos) when she gives me kisses on the face....

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for the Friday morning laugh! I could picture it from your description. Especially the sounds you made as you tried to get the mouse out of Gleek's mouth.:LOL::LOL:

I try my best to not think about what Abby has been eating (usually Geckos) when she gives me kisses on the face....

Yikes. I wouldn't know what to do with a Gecko loose in my house.