Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

going insane trying to find those "gummi collars"

zoes mom

Lairian
It's driving me nuts trying to find a washable collar for Zoe close to where I live! Can anyone suggest a store close to me ? Of course anything she wears turns black in a few days:Badly2: I like to fou fou my kitty up sometimes but also I like her to have identification tags on too just in case she gets out with the warmer weather and doors opening alot more. There are a few brands out there that I can see on the internet but nothing seems to be around here (Ontario,Canada) Any help would be apreciated:Smile: "Gummi" looks cool and also "fydo"rubber collars

GioThermal

Lairian
Okay, so I just checked the internet and the only location form Gummi Collars in the US is in California... however you can order them from their website. They look neat. However, I think the FYDO collar is really neat. I've seen people using those rubber bracelets you can get pretty much anywhere as a collar. They are stretchy and they usually fit around the cats neck (as long as they have a normal size neck, lol). You can then clip the tags to the bracelet. PLUS!!! you can find them in many colors. Just an idea. :Smile:

zoes mom

Lairian
Thank-you very much guys! I will check the local store to see if they will order for me! I never even thought of those bracelets thanks! I wish i new how to add the gummi link sorry I can't figure out how to do that:Dizzy:

GioThermal

Lairian
Hopefully you can access the website from here .gummipets.com/"]gummipets.com/
And here is a link to see those FYDO Rubber collars.... which I really think are cool!
[URL="http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fydo%20rubber%20collars&um=1&ie=UTF-8&resnum=3&sa=N&tab=fi"/images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fydo%20rubber%20collars&um
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

zoes mom

Lairian
I was at the store today and thought to check for those bracelets...fits her perfect!! it's about a cm thick and pink=) cost me two dollars lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Boy, I'd be really careful with a collar that doesn't break away or is made specifically for a cat:Surprise:--what happens if she gets it caught on something and hangs herself?

From dreadful experience of kitties getting caught up in anything (basketball net and shoelaces) they die! :ThumbsDown::Cry:

I dont put anything on my kitties neck unless they are supervised!

for_serious

Lairian
I was obsessed with finding Keano a cute collar before I got him. I searched everywhere high and low. By far the best selection was on E-bay. Search "Safety Breakaway Cat Kitten Kitty Collar." They are all break away and they have the best designs I've seen.

susi794

Staff member
From dreadful experience of kitties getting caught up in anything (basketball net and shoelaces) they die! :ThumbsDown::Cry:

I dont put anything on my kitties neck unless they are supervised!

Me either--almost lost a hairy cat years ago when he hung himself on his collar--mine don't wear them unless they are with me.

susi794

Staff member
I don't put anything on mine, but if I were going to, a breakaway or nothing. I guess if it's a break away, I might if I were worried about them getting out the door....I just feel more comfortable with nothing. But I live alone, so I don't worry too much about them getting out. Still can happen though, so since I bought a stroller and will be taking them outside, I should invest in a breakaway for everyone....since am worried that going out in the stroller will make them want to go outside more and may lead to darting out the door.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Not even breakaway?
The kitties weren't even wearing a collar. They just got tangeled up! Was one of those freak accident things! These were my furry babies years ago but the kitties I'm referring to were only 10 to 12 weeks of age at the time and with the basketball net, it was a toy attachment thing that goes on your door, well my kids had left it on the dryer when I left for work, I came home to my kitten gasping for air. If I had been any later she wouldn't have made it and I even ended up keeping her because she was a bit retarded from the incident and going so long without oxygen. Her name was Mischeif because there were actually 3 life saving events for her!

The other was the year prior, Venus my all black green eyed monster I had left at home while I went to watch a movie with a friend. Again no collar cuz she was so young. I had my shoes lined up at the door as I had always done and I came home to her tangeled up in a shoe lace. It was awful. I was too late to save her.

I felt compelled to reply to the thread due to the fact that kitties can get caught up in almost anything even without a break-away collar. I treat my home as if I had a crawler in my home at all times because kitties are just as bad as babies about putting things in their mouth and playing with unsafe things. Everyone's shoes must be kept in their closet's and all toys picked up and put away. I might be anal about it but atleast I know I can leave and know my baby is safe while I'm gone!!!!

for_serious

Lairian
The other was the year prior, Venus my all black green eyed monster I had left at home while I went to watch a movie with a friend. Again no collar cuz she was so young. I had my shoes lined up at the door as I had always done and I came home to her tangeled up in a shoe lace. It was awful. I was too late to save her.

That's devistating. Keano isn't even big enough for a collar, but I'm contemplating putting one on him with a bell when he is older. He is microchipped, so that's not the issue. I just have a fear of him sneaking in the dryer behind my back, or getting into things when I'm not looking. If I can hear where he is, I don't think I'll worry as much.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I used to feel the same way. Snuffie won't stand for a bell or anything dangeling from her. She will allow me to put a collar on her but if she has a bell she wants to play with it! Then she just scratches her face up so I just don't put anything on her unless I'm right there with her. I just make sure I know where she is and when dealing with the oven and dryer and any other appliance she could hurt herself with I just watch out!
I've had cats that wore break a way collars for years and never had issues. I believe it mostly depends on the personality of your feline friend.
Best of luck locating the perfect one that works for both you and her.

zoes mom

Lairian
The gummi collar has a "break away" type style to it..but of course you have to be careful. The best thing for the cat would be a micro chip . If I plan to be gone for a long time collars are off. Although I've never had any issues personally with any of my cats and collars. But I only put them on once and while. They are cute for pic's:Laugh:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mug-Y had never worn a collar and the rescue lady recommended I didn't put him in one because of mischief making. Although she then went on to suggest a 'calming collar', which is a breakaway, to help with his anxiety and fear aggression. I have to say it has really helped with him so he gets a new one every 30 days...hopefully one more (his 5th) should be enough, then once again he will be collarless as I just think it's safer for him.

X

GioThermal

Lairian
I agree with everyone that they shouldn't wear collars unless supervised. I bought Gio and Nyiah both the rubber bracelet collars to wear when we are home but only if I have a fear that one of them might dart out of the door. I have a breakaway collar for Gio and he doesn't mind it at all. I just have that overwhelming fear that something will happen because of Gia's incident.
Last year Gia was at home while I was at work and decided to play with one of my son's NERF darts. She doesn't really play with anything so I didn't worry about it (plus it was fairly large). However, she bit the tip off (the suction part) and it ended up getting stuck in her intestine. She lost weight rapidly and I just assumed she was sick because she never got into anything. Numerous vet appointments later I had x-rays done and found the suction cup part... I took her in for surgery the very next day. She did well throughout the surgery but then took a turn for the worst. The vet said that her rapid weight loss contributed to her liver not being able to create the clotting protein she needed to prevent internal bleeding that happened after the surgery. I had to put her down 3 days after her surgery. I held her as they injected her and she looked at me like she was telling me she was sorry. I cried for weeks on end.
Hell, Im crying now. I miss her so much.:Cry:
Just be careful and don't under estimate what they will or will not get into.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I agree with everyone that they shouldn't wear collars unless supervised. I bought Gio and Nyiah both the rubber bracelet collars to wear when we are home but only if I have a fear that one of them might dart out of the door. I have a breakaway collar for Gio and he doesn't mind it at all. I just have that overwhelming fear that something will happen because of Gia's incident.
Last year Gia was at home while I was at work and decided to play with one of my son's NERF darts. She doesn't really play with anything so I didn't worry about it (plus it was fairly large). However, she bit the tip off (the suction part) and it ended up getting stuck in her intestine. She lost weight rapidly and I just assumed she was sick because she never got into anything. Numerous vet appointments later I had x-rays done and found the suction cup part... I took her in for surgery the very next day. She did well throughout the surgery but then took a turn for the worst. The vet said that her rapid weight loss contributed to her liver not being able to create the clotting protein she needed to prevent internal bleeding that happened after the surgery. I had to put her down 3 days after her surgery. I held her as they injected her and she looked at me like she was telling me she was sorry. I cried for weeks on end.
Hell, Im crying now. I miss her so much.:Cry:
Just be careful and don't under estimate what they will or will not get into.

OMG - how awful. I'm crying for you too! Its so sad to loose them!

Back