Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Going on holiday/vacation

Klytemnestra

Lairian
Hi there,

we'd like to go away for 3 days and have usually had someone come in to look after our furry cats twice a day.
With the Sphynx, I'm not so sure that's sufficient and have been considering a boarding cattery.
What do you guys do when you're out and about for a couple of days?
If you have any boarding experience, how do Sphynx cope with being locked in 1 room or with being in an insulated pen outdoors?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have been gone up to 10 days on vacation, and had someone coming 3-4 times per day to check on them, feed, scoop the litter, etc.

I would not consider an outdoor insulated pen to be a safe place for them. My issue with boarding facilities is germs - I wouldn't want mine to come home sick. It is impossible for them to sanitize things like carpeted climbing posts, etc between cats that have stayed there.

If they can stay in your home and have someone come to feed and check on them, that is what I would do.

When we go away, all plants go in a bedroom and the door gets shut. Cleaning cabinet gets a baby lock on it, and all bedroom and bathroom doors get shut. They have the hall, stairs, kitchen and living room to be in. I bring all of their beds and blankets down there for them, and make sure that any toys with strings etc get put away safely.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,

we'd like to go away for 3 days and have usually had someone come in to look after our furry cats twice a day.
With the Sphynx, I'm not so sure that's sufficient and have been considering a boarding cattery.
What do you guys do when you're out and about for a couple of days?
If you have any boarding experience, how do Sphynx cope with being locked in 1 room or with being in an insulated pen outdoors?
Sphynx should be no different, as long as you have safeguarded the house and have someone looking in on them a few times a day, and directions are clear with being careful of open doors and windows, things of that nature - they will be fine.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We are very fortunate to have my Sister to come to our house and stay with our Izmae.
Even if she is working, she lives close enough can still be close to work. I would not consider
putting her at a kennel or boarding house. If my Sis couldn't stay with her, I probably wouldn't
never go anywhere, that's just me. Her best interest comes before mine. I would be too worried
about her, that I could not enjoy myself.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I know our cats would not do well in a boarding situation. Not having kids, our home tends to be pretty quiet and the cats have their regular routine. We have a family member come over late morning /early afternoon to play with the kitties and give them treats etc.Okay I mean spoil them)

Evening we have a cat sitter we hire come and feed them dinner and administer meds to our Benga. She feeds them dinner and sets food timer dishes for their early breakfast the next day. This way we know they are visited 2 times a day and they get to eat, play etc...timer dishes are great!

Patti

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have my best friend that watches the nakeds while we are out of town.

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have a friend stay over. I figured if they get uri from moving house, they would from being boarded.

Jordan

Lairian
I know our cats would not do well in a boarding situation. Not having kids, our home tends to be pretty quiet and the cats have their regular routine. We have a family member come over late morning /early afternoon to play with the kitties and give them treats etc.Okay I mean spoil them)

Evening we have a cat sitter we hire come and feed them dinner and administer meds to our Benga. She feeds them dinner and sets food timer dishes for their early breakfast the next day. This way we know they are visited 2 times a day and they get to eat, play etc...timer dishes are great!

Patti
Just curious but what are timer dishes?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Jordan They are dishes that you put food in and close the lid and set the lid to pop open at desired time. They work great especially when you go away for a night or 2.

Jordan

Lairian
Jordan They are dishes that you put food in and close the lid and set the lid to pop open at desired time. They work great especially when you go away for a night or 2.
Those sound really cool. I would love to try them out once I get my naked. Where do you buy them at?

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My daughter comes and takes care of mine. I know they are happier being at home, where everything is familiar. I think the stress of being in a boarding facility would be too much for them.

fuzzy bare

Lairian
We have been gone up to 10 days on vacation, and had someone coming 3-4 times per day to check on them, feed, scoop the litter, etc.

I would not consider an outdoor insulated pen to be a safe place for them. My issue with boarding facilities is germs - I wouldn't want mine to come home sick. It is impossible for them to sanitize things like carpeted climbing posts, etc between cats that have stayed there.

If they can stay in your home and have someone come to feed and check on them, that is what I would do.

When we go away, all plants go in a bedroom and the door gets shut. Cleaning cabinet gets a baby lock on it, and all bedroom and bathroom doors get shut. They have the hall, stairs, kitchen and living room to be in. I bring all of their beds and blankets down there for them, and make sure that any toys with strings etc get put away safely.
we travel in a RV and he comes with us, but once a year we go away for a week and he goes to a wonderful cattery, they love him and he gets to play with them. I pay extra for him to have one on one play time with human. he get more time with them, we go away on off times and they only have a few cats at the same time.

Klytemnestra

Lairian
Hi all, thanks for your advice. We've just returned from our 3-day trip and it worked quite well with 2 cat sitter visits a day. We've decided to try to have someone stay at our place if we go away for longer. But she didn't destroy anything or eat any harmful stuff while we were away (which she was sometimes doing even during the night, just because she was bored!) Thanks again...

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Hi all, thanks for your advice. We've just returned from our 3-day trip and it worked quite well with 2 cat sitter visits a day. We've decided to try to have someone stay at our place if we go away for longer. But she didn't destroy anything or eat any harmful stuff while we were away (which she was sometimes doing even during the night, just because she was bored!) Thanks again...

So happy to hear it worked out well for you!

Valenshy

Lairian
Glad to hear things went well.. we went to Mexico for 7 days in March and had the neighbour come in 2x a day while we were gone and it worked fabulous, no issues at all! Makes me breathe easy for the next time we go away.