Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Going to look at a Sphynx...?

CameoBua

Lairian
I am meeting a lady Wednesday evening who is trying to rehome her 10 year old female. She says that she has had her 6-7 years and she bought her for $900 because she was a breeder cat. She says she just doesn't have time for the cat and feels badly because she is a very needy cat. She has shot records from October but doesn't think she has anything prior to that. She said that Prudence has no health issues other than allergies if she is not bathed weekely.

I have read that Sphynx usually live 13-15 years, so I am a little hesitant to get a senior cat, but if she needs a better home I definitely have one. I have other animals and one special cat that will snuggle with her. The lady said she loves to snuggle and loves to clean other kitties so that won't be a problem.

She is asking $300 rehoming fee but said she is flexible.

My questions are:
1. Is there anything I should look for when I meet her?
2. Am I crazy for taking a 10 year old cat?
3. Anything else anyone can suggest would be appreciated.

If this doesn't work out I will keep looking. I am not buying from a breeder, I only do rescues, so I want to find a kitty that is looking for a new loving home.

Thanks,
Cameo

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is nothing wrong with getting a older cat.
My cat that is very sick right now is 18.4.
Ask if she has been HCM scanned and what breeder she came from.

CameoBua

Lairian
There is nothing wrong with getting a older cat.
My cat that is very sick right now is 18.4.
Ask if she has been HCM scanned and what breeder she came from.

She said she doesn't have any of the old information.... So I don't know the breeder.

I will ask about the HCM.

Also, she said she was a little over weight and has a saggy belly. I guess from being bred so much...???

And she is feeding her Meow Mix, which I thought was odd. I figured she should be getting a higher end Senior food.... Any suggestions on food type that are best for a senior Sphynx or is something like Iams or Blue Buffalo ok?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cameo, we just became the proud owners of a 9 year old sphynx and love him so no you are not crazy. There was no fee with ours because they just wanted a great home for him. I think without a full history and her age $300 is alot. I would talk to her about that. As far as food we use Science diet and love it, our new guy also ajusted to it fine with no problems.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely ask about the HCM.

Assuming you see the cat, look to make sure her eyes look clear and that she doesn't have any open wounds or anything, I know it seems obvious but even the best of us can overlook something. Also watch the cats temperament to see if she's well adjusted.

I see nothing wrong with adopting a senior cat, I've considered a few myself. I currently have two 15 year olds that don't seem to be leaving anytime soon. Just know that it could only be a few years that you have with her, but I think any time with a nice Sphynx is worth it.

$300 is a bit much for a cat of that age considering she doesn't have most of the papers for anything. I've seen rehoming fees of $200 for cats around 5 and that was reasonable to me. Maybe I'm just werid with money though.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have used Blue Buffalo before and Taste of the Wild.
I use N/B Duck and Green Pea for my 2 girls because they are allergic.
That is strange she is feeding junk food to a sphynx and does not have any old info.
What color is she?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok. We have an owner who has had the cat for 6-7 years but has shot records from only last October, and doesn't have her papers even though she bought her as a breeder. Realistically - I'd bet my paycheck she hasn't been scanned for HCM. On the plus side, she's 10 years old so it's probably safe to assume that she doesn't have HCM or if she does have it it's a very mild case. To the best of my knowledge and from personal experience, HCM is diagnosed long before 10 years of age. Though of course there are exceptions to every rule.

I think this situation is going to be pretty much a case of "you get what you see." Has she been spayed yet? There's nothing wrong with her being a bit overweight, a good diet and play times can help fix that. And most sphynx have saggy bellies, you can see that from the pictures on this site.

Adopting an older kitty can be a wonderful thing and their love is so rewarding. There's nothing crazy about adopting her! But I do think that $300 for a ten year old with minimal history/paperwork is way too much.

When you visit her watch for sniffles, sneezes, watery eyes. And go with your gut instincts. Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you. :)

CameoBua

Lairian
Thank you for all of the feedback.

She said that the breeder was supposed to mail her the papers etc and just never did.

I am not meeting her at her home, which is going to make it difficult to see the cats true temperment.

She is pink with gray spots.

I was thinking of offering her $170 which is what we charge for pure bred adoptions. I too think she should be giving that cat away if it is to a good home.... but that is just me.

It all makes me very unsure about her getting rid of this cat but I am going to see her and decide then. Maybe it is meant to be to get her in to a better home for the rest of her life, because I would never get rid of her!

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks so much for all of the information! :)

CameoBua

Lairian
No pictures. She posted it on Craigslist and I am flying blind other than the info she had there and what she told me on the phone.

Bella07

Banned
I think that adopting a senior sphynx kitty in need is a wonderful thing to do! Great advice has been given so far. Best of Luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
1. Granpa Rexs Allen, a Sphynx adopted from a Texas Humane Society, reached 34 years, 2 months and 4 hours old in 1998 (pedigree cats have the advantage of detailed birth records). He was adopted from the Humane Society of Travis County, Texas by Jake Perry on January 16, 1970. Granpa had been found as a stray in danger of being run over. Realising that Granpa was a Sphynx (then a rare breed), Perry put up posters in case anyone had any information about him. He received a call from the cat's former owner, Mme Sulinaberg from Paris, France. Sulinaberg had been visiting her daughter in December 1969 and her cat, Pierre, had escaped through an unlocked screen door. Sulinaberg checked the cat and agreed to let Perry keep the cat. She gave him Pierre's pedigree papers although by that time Perry had registered the cat as Granpa Rexs Allen with TICA as a household pet. The pedigree papers stated that Pierre had been born in Paris, France on the morning of 1st February, 1964. His sire was a Devon Rex (a permitted outcross for the Sphynx breed) called Pierre II and his mother was a Sphynx called Queen of France. Like Ma, Granpa was a cosseted cat, but his diet included bacon and eggs, broccoli, asparagus, mayonnaise and coffee with lots of cream!

2. I would not be too concerned about HCM at this age, just look for the typical signs of a healthy 10 year old cat, the eyes, teeth, etc.

3. You don"t need papers unless your showing or breeding.

Good luck!

CameoBua

Lairian
1. Granpa Rexs Allen, a Sphynx adopted from a Texas Humane Society, reached 34 years, 2 months and 4 hours old in 1998 (pedigree cats have the advantage of detailed birth records). He was adopted from the Humane Society of Travis County, Texas by Jake Perry on January 16, 1970. Granpa had been found as a stray in danger of being run over. Realising that Granpa was a Sphynx (then a rare breed), Perry put up posters in case anyone had any information about him. He received a call from the cat's former owner, Mme Sulinaberg from Paris, France. Sulinaberg had been visiting her daughter in December 1969 and her cat, Pierre, had escaped through an unlocked screen door. Sulinaberg checked the cat and agreed to let Perry keep the cat. She gave him Pierre's pedigree papers although by that time Perry had registered the cat as Granpa Rexs Allen with TICA as a household pet. The pedigree papers stated that Pierre had been born in Paris, France on the morning of 1st February, 1964. His sire was a Devon Rex (a permitted outcross for the Sphynx breed) called Pierre II and his mother was a Sphynx called Queen of France. Like Ma, Granpa was a cosseted cat, but his diet included bacon and eggs, broccoli, asparagus, mayonnaise and coffee with lots of cream!

2. I would not be too concerned about HCM at this age, just look for the typical signs of a healthy 10 year old cat, the eyes, teeth, etc.

3. You don"t need papers unless your showing or breeding.

Good luck!

Wow that is an amazing story and I love that cats diet!!

I am not worried about the papers I just wanted to know how old she really was and I like to have records of everything in the event of a medical issue. But mine are rescues, some from a young age, some not, so I just have to start from when I take them in to my home.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Honestly and this is just me, but I think 300 is too much of an "adoption fee" for a senior cat. That is how much of a fee I paid for a rescue kitten and he was 5 months old.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You are very sweet to adopt a senior Sphynx. You have already gotten great advice regarding HCM and the high rehoming fee. The only other thing I would recommend would be to take a look at her teeth and gums as the breed used to have dental issues which might have an impact on lowerng that fee. Good luck.

CameoBua

Lairian
You are very sweet to adopt a senior Sphynx. You have already gotten great advice regarding HCM and the high rehoming fee. The only other thing I would recommend would be to take a look at her teeth and gums as the breed used to have dental issues which might have an impact on lowerng that fee. Good luck.

She said that she had her teeth deep cleaned, her anal glands expressed, and her shots done in October 2009.

Thanks, I am making a list of all of this to ask her and check out on Prudence.
I really hope it works out but if not I know there is another Sphynx out there that needs me.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
not to be paranoid, but you are meeting a stranger from the internet...

Please make sure someone else knows where/when you are meeting, and check in with them before and after.

I'm a big, self confident guy and I still always do so, kinda like leaving your route with someone when traveling.

--Just looked at your profile... you probably know what I'm talking about already.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
not to be paranoid, but you are meeting a stranger from the internet...

Please make sure someone else knows where/when you are meeting, and check in with them before and after.

I'm a big, self confident guy and I still always do so, kinda like leaving your route with someone when traveling.

--Just looked at your profile... you probably know what I'm talking about already.

What nice advice, Fester. :Kissed:

firehillqueen

Banned
Honestly and this is just me, but I think 300 is too much of an "adoption fee" for a senior cat. That is how much of a fee I paid for a rescue kitten and he was 5 months old.

I paid $100 for 10 year old Tosca's adoption fee. Edward showed me the current vet bill where her teeth were cleaned and her shots brought up to date. The fee just did cover it. So yes, I agree $300 is very high

CameoBua

Lairian
Well the lady called an hour before we were supposed to meet and just couldn't make it today b/c she got tied up at work....

I won't be able to meet her until sometime next week at this point.

So I will keep looking b/c I have a feeling she is a flake.....

Back