Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

*GoldHazel's favorite sphynx TOY list*

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Here you will find the toys that are a big hit in my house (not in any particular order):

upload_2016-6-14_12-5-22.png

Tunnels, tunnels and more tunnels. This particular one comes in this shape as well as straight tunnels. This one connects to straight ones for all day long fun. I bought this particular one in Petsmart.

upload_2016-6-14_12-7-41.png

Tiny, cat size tennis balls. You can get their attention by bouncing it on the floor (it's got high bounce), then they play with it batting it all around the room.

They also really like cat balls that are not clear/see through, but have a rattle inside. You can shake them in the store to see if it makes a noise. The noise inside really attracts my cats to play with these balls.

upload_2016-6-14_12-20-2.png
endless fun in my house with these springs

Here are some battery operated toys which work well here when I need to distract them from what I'm doing (whether it's eating at the table, cooking or whatever):
upload_2016-6-14_12-12-58.png

upload_2016-6-14_12-13-16.png

upload_2016-6-14_12-16-20.png

upload_2016-6-14_12-17-10.png
by Petlinks

upload_2016-6-14_12-4-4.png

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wasn't able to add anymore photos in list 1, thus, the second list here:

upload_2016-6-14_12-27-41.png
These are called Jacks or Jumping Jacks. They love to put one circle in their mouths and carry it around. It looks like they are walking around with a pacifier. When they bat these around, it's not predictable where it will go which makes it more challenging for them to play with.

All wand toys are terrific to play with (for you and your sphynx together). Never leave a wand toy unattended for your sphynx to play with alone because it's dangerous. When playtime is over, put away in a draw or up on a high closet shelf is recommended.
Some wand toys:
upload_2016-6-14_12-31-6.png
cat dancer

upload_2016-6-14_12-31-55.png
DaBird

That's just two wand toy suggestions. Any wand toy can be enjoyable to play with your sphynx.

upload_2016-6-14_12-33-53.png

This is a very big hit in my house. You will mostly find this type of toy with a single track, which is fun, but this particular one has three towering tracks with three balls and it makes a distinct sound which always keeps them busy here (especially when I'm trying to sleep LOL). I got mine in Petco.

upload_2016-6-14_12-35-41.png

Mylar crunchy balls are always fun for them to play with. They love crunchy noises.

All sorts of toy mice and rats are great to buy. Some have catnip inside while others don't. In my house, I have nibblers, so I always have to cut off tails and trim ears before giving toy mice to my sphynx cats.

Always check all toys from time to time for wear and tear. Throw away anything that looks like it can fall apart at any moment. Better to be safe than sorry. Too many sphynx cats ingest things that they shouldn't which causes problems and sometimes surgery.

As far as catnip, some cats don't have the "catnip gene" as my vet's calls it, so experiment with it. Catnip also comes in a liquid spray formula if your cat likes catnip and you want to attract him/her to a particular object such as a new scratching post, etc.

Tall scratching posts work for me here. The shorter ones my cats are not interested in as they love to stretch up high as they use the tall scratching posts. Plain carpet type scratching posts just don't always satisfy a cat. Try to purchase the rougher materials.

Cat trees have always interested them as well. Putting it near a window (not necessarily in direct sun for sunburn problems) for them to bird watch is a favorite. Cat trees come in all sorts of shapes and sizes with endless fun attachments such as: perches, hammocks, scratching posts attached, little cat houses, etc.

Plush toys are fun for them as well. The bigger ones are often held against their bellies using their front paws while they kick it. It's a natural hunt and kill game they play. I often spray these kinds of plush toys with the catnip spray for added enjoyment and attraction.

There are endless shelves of toys in pet shops, etc. I'm sure you will find something that your sphynx is interested in.

Happy shopping :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@GoldHazel Some great toys and yes will be nice to reference this compiled list for all newbies who ask. I was able to merge the threads for you so they are not separate making it more efficient for all of us to reference and attach the single thread and not have 2 going on the same topic

Thanks,

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GoldHazel Some great toys and yes will be nice to reference this compiled list for all newbies who ask. I was able to merge the threads for you so they are not separate making it more efficient for all of us to reference and attach the single thread and not have 2 going on the same topic

Thanks,

Patti

@Catzzzmeow thank you, Patti. I wasn't able to do it myself. Got a message saying I couldn't post more than 8 pics. LOL

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great thread!
The tunneld and the springs are a big in my household too.
Never saw the jumping jacks but I just know my crew will like them so I am a lady on a mission now:)

@Toa and Ross Thank you. Those Jacks were purchased at my local supermarket in the pet food isle over a year ago and my Simon especially thinks it's a pacifier. :)

Johanna

Lairian
I wasn't able to add anymore photos in list 1, thus, the second list here:

View attachment 68609These are called Jacks or Jumping Jacks. They love to put one circle in their mouths and carry it around. It looks like they are walking around with a pacifier. When they bat these around, it's not predictable where it will go which makes it more challenging for them to play with.

All wand toys are terrific to play with (for you and your sphynx together). Never leave a wand toy unattended for your sphynx to play with alone because it's dangerous. When playtime is over, put away in a draw or up on a high closet shelf is recommended.
Some wand toys:
View attachment 68610cat dancer

View attachment 68611DaBird

That's just two wand toy suggestions. Any wand toy can be enjoyable to play with your sphynx.

View attachment 68612
This is a very big hit in my house. You will mostly find this type of toy with a single track, which is fun, but this particular one has three towering tracks with three balls and it makes a distinct sound which always keeps them busy here (especially when I'm trying to sleep LOL). I got mine in Petco.

View attachment 68613
Mylar crunchy balls are always fun for them to play with. They love crunchy noises.

All sorts of toy mice and rats are great to buy. Some have catnip inside while others don't. In my house, I have nibblers, so I always have to cut off tails and trim ears before giving toy mice to my sphynx cats.

Always check all toys from time to time for wear and tear. Throw away anything that looks like it can fall apart at any moment. Better to be safe than sorry. Too many sphynx cats ingest things that they shouldn't which causes problems and sometimes surgery.

As far as catnip, some cats don't have the "catnip gene" as my vet's calls it, so experiment with it. Catnip also comes in a liquid spray formula if your cat likes catnip and you want to attract him/her to a particular object such as a new scratching post, etc.

Tall scratching posts work for me here. The shorter ones my cats are not interested in as they love to stretch up high as they use the tall scratching posts. Plain carpet type scratching posts just don't always satisfy a cat. Try to purchase the rougher materials.

Cat trees have always interested them as well. Putting it near a window (not necessarily in direct sun for sunburn problems) for them to bird watch is a favorite. Cat trees come in all sorts of shapes and sizes with endless fun attachments such as: perches, hammocks, scratching posts attached, little cat houses, etc.

Plush toys are fun for them as well. The bigger ones are often held against their bellies using their front paws while they kick it. It's a natural hunt and kill game they play. I often spray these kinds of plush toys with the catnip spray for added enjoyment and attraction.

There are endless shelves of toys in pet shops, etc. I'm sure you will find something that your sphynx is interested in.

Happy shopping :)
All great ideas, so many I can see her playing with. Thank you, now I can replace her paperballs she loves to play fetch.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is a great thread. I'm always looking for new toys for Rosie as she's quite fussy. Some toys she loves, such as the laser torch, rattly balls or just plain hair bands, which she gets scooting across the bathroom floor in great excitement!

@admin or @Catzzzmeow maybe make this thread a sticky? We can add to it with ideas and it'll be a good reference for people in the future.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Johanna you are welcome.
@lealea thank you. That's a great idea @admin

I went through a streak not too long ago where lots of new members signed up and they were always asking about toy suggestions. I found myself repeating posts and copying and pasting, etc. I finally said that I'll make a thread so I don't have to repeat myself weekly.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
@Johanna you are welcome.
@lealea thank you. That's a great idea @admin

I went through a streak not too long ago where lots of new members signed up and they were always asking about toy suggestions. I found myself repeating posts and copying and pasting, etc. I finally said that I'll make a thread so I don't have to repeat myself weekly.
Done!

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great suggestions! Many of these are hits in my home as well. For cats that don't have the "catnip gene" honeysuckle may be a good alternative. It isn't as popular as catnip but their are companies that carry toys with it. It may also be a good thing to have something that produces different sensory.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great suggestions! Many of these are hits in my home as well. For cats that don't have the "catnip gene" honeysuckle may be a good alternative. It isn't as popular as catnip but their are companies that carry toys with it. It may also be a good thing to have something that produces different sensory.

@nudieluvr thank you for your suggestion. Can you please post a link to some toys with the honeysuckle? Thank you.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here is an article for those that are curious about honeysuckle.
Honeysuckle for Cats: An Alternative to Catnip | CatHealth.com

il_570xN.596771912_tup8.jpg

This is what the honeysuckle that they use for the toys looks like.

Although honeysuckle isn't nearly as popular as catnip most popular sites and petstores may have it as it's becoming a popular afternative.
il_570xN.985409925_am2h.jpg

Screenshot_20160819-133459.png

Another good option is a spray to put on toys you may already have.

Screenshot_20160819-133637.png

Here's another option of toys. These are on Amazon:)

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is "FroliCat" by Bolt! It's a terrific laser light toy that is on a timer for an approximate 15 minute time frame where the laser light goes in all directions by itself so your cat doesn't get bored with the same laser light routine. You place it on a table, dresser, fireplace mantel, etc.
This particular toy has been a lifesaver for me especially when I had just one sphynx kitten that gathered up every ounce of energy before my bedtime and wouldn't let me settle down and go to sleep for hours. Once I purchased this toy, I used it before my bedtime when I was showering, etc. getting ready for bed. My kitten got all his energy out chasing the laser light in my room for 15 minutes. This allowed me to get into bed with a calm and tired kitten. Otherwise my toes and hands were getting attacked by him. LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

@admin, this toy most definitely should have been added to my favorite list of toys and possibly when my two threads got merged to one, this disappeared somehow? In any event, it would be much appreciated if you could add this in post #1 above at the end, right under the Cat's Meow toy. Is this a possibility please? Thanks.

Back