Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Good deed, or life saved?

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So, as a profession I'm a nail technician, and of course I love getting onto the subject of animals, and have had many reactions to little Lucifer, he's become abit famous with my clientele and they always ask how he is! I have one lovely lady who works in a cat shelter, and I like to ask her questions on vets and chat about the cats she has ect, today she came in, and told me her mother in laws cleaner had been bought a Sphynx cat for Christmas, I'd previously told her my concerns on HCM ect and unloaded everything I'd researched on her, she said the first thing she mentioned to the new naked owner was about the HCM issue in the breed and to avoid ketamine at all costs! From what I gathered the lady's not done much research and I don't think she is quite ready for what joy and love but also time needing spent when it comes to a sphynx baby..by no means am I a saint on the research before you buy, but when I got my boy I did research upon reaserch, books, Internet, YouTube videos ect, and of course asking all you lovely owners questions, but! I can't help but worry, about the poor people that don't do the research needed, so it just made me think, how lucky I am to be in the job I'm in, and how I have quite possibly helped a little sphynx and its new owner live a lovely happy life together, I told her she's more than welcome to pass on my number, I don't know everything but I'm happy to pass on what I have found out and of course learn in the future, has anything like this happened to anyone? :)

Last edited:

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay for being helpful!

Far too often people don't do their research. People ask all kinds of things about sphynx when they learn I have them. I always stress first and foremost how much work they are and then how rewarding they can be. Lol. Cuz because you can afford to get one doesn't mean you should lol.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's wonderful!

Good dead for sure! I'm always amazed when people leap before they look.
It's not just with sphynx either; but with all pets. People will see a cute baby and nothing at all about its needs or habits and just scoop it up only to throw it back when its too much work or not what they expected!

So I say bravo for offering help where you could!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yay for being helpful!

Far too often people don't do their research. People ask all kinds of things about sphynx when they learn I have them. I always stress first and foremost how much work they are and then how rewarding they can be. Lol. Cuz because you can afford to get one doesn't mean you should lol.
Exactly haha, they are very high maintenance divas!!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That's wonderful!

Good dead for sure! I'm always amazed when people leap before they look.
It's not just with sphynx either; but with all pets. People will see a cute baby and nothing at all about its needs or habits and just scoop it up only to throw it back when its too much work or not what they expected!

So I say bravo for offering help where you could!
Yep, far to many people are getting pets these days without really realising the commitments, it's like having a child! If you want to be out all the time and never stay in don't take the plunge!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So, as a profession I'm a nail technician, and of course I love getting onto the subject of animals, and have had many reactions to little Lucifer, he's become abit famous with my clientele and they always ask how he is! I have one lovely lady who works in a cat shelter, and I like to ask her questions on vets and chat about the cats she has ect, today she came in, and told me her mother in laws cleaner had been bought a Sphynx cat for Christmas, I'd previously told her my concerns on HCM ect and unloaded everything I'd researched on her, she said the first thing she mentioned to the new naked owner was about the HCM issue in the breed and to avoid ketamine at all costs! From what I gathered the lady's not done much research and I don't think she is quite ready for what joy and love but also time needing spent when it comes to a sphynx baby..by no means am I a saint on the research before you buy, but when I got my boy I did research upon reaserch, books, Internet, YouTube videos ect, and of course asking all you lovely owners questions, but! I can't help but worry, about the poor people that don't do the research needed, so it just made me think, how lucky I am to be in the job I'm in, and how I have quite possibly helped a little sphynx and its new owner live a lovely happy life together, I told her she's more than welcome to pass on my number, I don't know everything but I'm happy to pass on what I have found out and of course learn in the future, has anything like this happened to anyone? :)

I LOVE to share information about the sphynx breed to ppl I come in contact with. A few months ago I was introduced (in person) to a girl that has a young sphynx and is waiting for her second one to arrive. I gave her tips on taking care of multiple sphynxes when it's mani/pedi time as she mentioned that the little guy she has now isn't a fan of getting that done. Then I personally showed her how I use a bath towel to get the deed done very quickly without fussing.
I have to have everything in place...I've got it down to a science. It needs to be done and I'm anal so it has to be done without leaving a dot of nail dirt behind. LOL
Oh...and of course, I tell ppl about the ketamine, etc. as well. Everything I know that it extremely important...I make sure to mention.
I love animals dearly and this breed is something extra special in my life, so I want to make sure I educate ppl if it comes to something life saving.

Good for you, Amy. :) Way to go. :)

MissLadyFever

Lairian
I had a friend who got a cat from the same breeder as I that are all in a Facebook group that had posted about him getting his cat spayed the next day and that he was nervous. He loves that cat more than anything and I mentioned briefly that he make sure they not use ketamine and he quickly responded why? I told him about he dangers and he totally flipped out. He had no idea bout it and immediately called his vet. Guess what? They were going to use Ketamine! I'm glad I spoke up an said something.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I LOVE to share information about the sphynx breed to ppl I come in contact with. A few months ago I was introduced (in person) to a girl that has a young sphynx and is waiting for her second one to arrive. I gave her tips on taking care of multiple sphynxes when it's mani/pedi time as she mentioned that the little guy she has now isn't a fan of getting that done. Then I personally showed her how I use a bath towel to get the deed done very quickly without fussing.
I have to have everything in place...I've got it down to a science. It needs to be done and I'm anal so it has to be done without leaving a dot of nail dirt behind. LOL
Oh...and of course, I tell ppl about the ketamine, etc. as well. Everything I know that it extremely important...I make sure to mention.
I love animals dearly and this breed is something extra special in my life, so I want to make sure I educate ppl if it comes to something life saving.

Good for you, Amy. :) Way to go. :)
Haha yes out of all my mani pedi clients lucifer was one of my hardest, bit now with patients and time spent he lovessss a good little foot pad massage! It's so good that we can help people just by word of mouth from what we have found out our selves! Such a good feeling!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had a friend who got a cat from the same breeder as I that are all in a Facebook group that had posted about him getting his cat spayed the next day and that he was nervous. He loves that cat more than anything and I mentioned briefly that he make sure they not use ketamine and he quickly responded why? I told him about he dangers and he totally flipped out. He had no idea bout it and immediately called his vet. Guess what? They were going to use Ketamine! I'm glad I spoke up an said something.
Exactly! If it weren't for reading online I'd of never known! Good on you :) it's such a fantastic feeling to help someone, as it seems vets don't have much idea on the breed

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Haha yes out of all my mani pedi clients lucifer was one of my hardest, bit now with patients and time spent he lovessss a good little foot pad massage! It's so good that we can help people just by word of mouth from what we have found out our selves! Such a good feeling!

I even recall the times I educated my vet! Even if a vet has one or a few sphynx patients, they still need to be on top of the breed's needs, etc., so that is why I felt the need to tell him things like NO Ketamine, no Clavamox (not that it can hurt them...just does't help). I even explained about their "dirty" ears when the vet tech told my vet in the front of me to check for earmites.

Back