Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gotcha Day 5 days away

smgarcia

Lairian
Hey everyone,

I got more updated photos of Archie! Ill add them below. As gotcha day gets closer and closer, the more I feel like i'm forgetting something! We pick him up Sunday, with a 9 hour drive. I have all the basics but I do have a few questions..

- The drive is a total of 9 hours home. I decided that id bring a small pan with litter in it for him to use if he needed to. Do you think i should put that in the carrier or outside and let him try at stops? There's room to put it inside. Same goes for food and water.. should I just try to feed him water at a stop?

- I am looking for a sphynx recommended vet in the tampa bay area. If anyone has recommendations please PM me!

- When he gets home, does anyone have tips for making sure he finds his litter box? The apartment isnt too big and the litter box will be in our bathroom connected to our master bedroom. Should i keep him in the master bedroom/bathroom for the initial day?

Any general first day tips would be greatly appreciated! I want to make sure hes as well taken care of the first few days to minimize his stress/likelihood of getting sick.

IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Aaaah Archie is such a handsome cutie. Only 4 nights to go till Gotcha Day. So excited for you!

Sounds like you thought about everything.
I don't have experience with long car rides. But from what I heard most keep the litterpan and food out of the carrier and make a few stops to let their sphynx use the litterpan and drink/eat some.
When I got my boys home I let them run around the house free. I didn't have other pets so they could roam around. I showed them the litter box a few times so they would know where it was. If Archie uses the litterpan during the trip you can put a peeclumb into the litteebox so he smells where his litterbox is.

For the first days I would try to let Archie find his ways. Give him time to adjust. Don't be too disappointed if he doesn't come for cuddles to you. My boys were on there own the first days and didn't come to me. I went to them to pet them but didn't force them. Now they're mostly glued to me.

For new question or story you want to share or pics you want to show, you can always start a new thread. Can't wait to see you Gotcha Day thread:)

TheZu

Lairian
Oh, he's so cute! He almost looks like a Bambino in the pics, is he?

I'm also curious the best advice for cat carriers and picking up. When we eventually have our gotcha day (please pray that the perfect kitten comes along for us in March with our breeder!) We will be driving to get her. Ours is a very short drive though, an hour at most. Is cat carrier still necessary in that case, it is it better to hold them?

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
For our gotcha day we are driving about 30-45mins away to pick up Orpheus and we are planning on bringing a carrier and a blanket just incase he feels more comfortable sitting in something, my partner will hold him otherwise just for the cuddles :p but we think it will be better and safer option especially when going from the car inside :)
We obviously aren't bringing anything etc like litter or food for our short trip. But I have heard of people brining both and when you stop for the toilet or food checking if your kitty wants to as well. From most long distance stories I have heard the cats haven't wanted to eat or use the litter until they are home and more comfortable

Also Archie's photos are so damn cute!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I always recommend bringing some paper towels/cleaner and a garbage bag just in case they are not good travelers or have an accident. What an adorable baby!

Roki

Lairian
We do longer distance travel and Always have their little halters on in the car, precisely because there’s that small amount of time outside, in a new environment, where anything could happen (other animals, loud noises, sudden movements) that might spook the kitty straight out of your arms. We also have carriers for them, but that’s mostly to contain them during stressful driving situations. They seem to like to have a little den to snuggle into. If we’re moving steadily along, without much traffic, sometimes I’ll let them out or hold them. I also think the carrier, strapped in with a seatbelt, is safer for them if there were an accident. I think about someone hitting my car or something happening afterwards where the door/window might be open and they could escape. We travel with a small cardboard “flat”, the kind that holds 24 cans of drinks, inside a large plastic bag to make it waterproof. I carry some litter in a separate bag and just put in enough for them to feel comfortable using it, then scoop out the waste &/or toss the dirty litter. Then re-cover with plastic next time and reuse as necessary. We carry quite a few plastic bags and wipes and paper towels, because Paris sometimes get carsick on the windy roads & Nicole can pee large quantities sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lucifers Mom

Lairian
We picked Lilith up local in Tuscon Arizona (About 2 and a half hours away). However, we drove cross country with her from Phoenix, Arizona to Grand Forks North Dakota. She had her carrier and her blanket and no interest in food, water or litter until we stopped for the night at the hotel. We did try the Feliway calming spray and while it didn't work on Lilith, it might be something to consider. We sprayed it on her blanket and her carrier.

We also had a harness on her because we would open her carrier and let her roam around the U-haul (mostly standing on the dog). We drove around 10 hours a day and she just wasn't interested in anything until we got to the hotel. We did get those inexpensive littler pans where you peel the paper away and there is litter already. She never had trouble finding the box at the hotels or when we got to our apartment.

I do recommend if Archie uses a litter box in the car and it's not the same one you are using in the apartment, to take the used litter and put it in the permanent box, the smell will help him find his box once you get to the apartment. Offer food and water when you stop is my suggestion. Lucifer had water in his airline carrier and it spilled and splashed everywhere making a huge mess. Don't be worried if Archie wants nothing but to hang out in his carrier, travel can be stressful.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to more pictures of your baby!

smgarcia

Lairian
Aaaah Archie is such a handsome cutie. Only 4 nights to go till Gotcha Day. So excited for you!

Sounds like you thought about everything.
I don't have experience with long car rides. But from what I heard most keep the litterpan and food out of the carrier and make a few stops to let their sphynx use the litterpan and drink/eat some.
When I got my boys home I let them run around the house free. I didn't have other pets so they could roam around. I showed them the litter box a few times so they would know where it was. If Archie uses the litterpan during the trip you can put a peeclumb into the litteebox so he smells where his litterbox is.

For the first days I would try to let Archie find his ways. Give him time to adjust. Don't be too disappointed if he doesn't come for cuddles to you. My boys were on there own the first days and didn't come to me. I went to them to pet them but didn't force them. Now they're mostly glued to me.

For new question or story you want to share or pics you want to show, you can always start a new thread. Can't wait to see you Gotcha Day thread:)

Thanks for the advice! Im glad you mentioned giving him time to adjust. Im definitely extremely excited but need to remember not to be overbearing as he doesnt even know me yet :LOL:

smgarcia

Lairian
Oh, he's so cute! He almost looks like a Bambino in the pics, is he?

I'm also curious the best advice for cat carriers and picking up. When we eventually have our gotcha day (please pray that the perfect kitten comes along for us in March with our breeder!) We will be driving to get her. Ours is a very short drive though, an hour at most. Is cat carrier still necessary in that case, it is it better to hold them?
Not a bambino! although youre right he does look like it squatted down in those pictures. I posted some other pictures on my original post if you wanted to see

smgarcia

Lairian
For our gotcha day we are driving about 30-45mins away to pick up Orpheus and we are planning on bringing a carrier and a blanket just incase he feels more comfortable sitting in something, my partner will hold him otherwise just for the cuddles :p but we think it will be better and safer option especially when going from the car inside :)
We obviously aren't bringing anything etc like litter or food for our short trip. But I have heard of people brining both and when you stop for the toilet or food checking if your kitty wants to as well. From most long distance stories I have heard the cats haven't wanted to eat or use the litter until they are home and more comfortable

Also Archie's photos are so damn cute!

Yes ive heard the same thing about them just waiting until they get home! I guess i will keep you all posted. If i had a shorter drive i would be holding him just like you plan to!

smgarcia

Lairian
We picked Lilith up local in Tuscon Arizona (About 2 and a half hours away). However, we drove cross country with her from Phoenix, Arizona to Grand Forks North Dakota. She had her carrier and her blanket and no interest in food, water or litter until we stopped for the night at the hotel. We did try the Feliway calming spray and while it didn't work on Lilith, it might be something to consider. We sprayed it on her blanket and her carrier.

We also had a harness on her because we would open her carrier and let her roam around the U-haul (mostly standing on the dog). We drove around 10 hours a day and she just wasn't interested in anything until we got to the hotel. We did get those inexpensive littler pans where you peel the paper away and there is litter already. She never had trouble finding the box at the hotels or when we got to our apartment.

I do recommend if Archie uses a litter box in the car and it's not the same one you are using in the apartment, to take the used litter and put it in the permanent box, the smell will help him find his box once you get to the apartment. Offer food and water when you stop is my suggestion. Lucifer had water in his airline carrier and it spilled and splashed everywhere making a huge mess. Don't be worried if Archie wants nothing but to hang out in his carrier, travel can be stressful.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to more pictures of your baby!
Wow thats a long drive! I will definitely consider that Feliway calming spray and maybe the disposable litter pans. I was just thinking about making my own! Definitely dont want his water to spill in his carrier, especially not if he has to be in it for the drive haha! I will definitely just offer it at stops.

smgarcia

Lairian
190A75CC-4857-4EEF-AE51-A5A4CFBA4938.jpeg
505CECE0-BD21-4C80-A0F2-C9FA208178B4.jpeg
B5629EA6-44E6-4E1F-9D95-00E6ECBCFEE1.jpeg

Brought him home Sunday but haven’t posted pictures yet!! Been very busy making sure everything is alright. Here’s Archie, he slept the whole 9 hours Home and has adjusted so well. Very healthy kitty, slowly getting more and more comfortable in our place!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@smgarcia Yay! Archie at home pics:). What a cute little peanut he is. And so handsome too.
Happy to hear the trip back home went well and he settled in well.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@smgarcia , ahh! Happy Archie Gotcha!
What a handsome boy with the kindest expressions!
Look forward to lots of pics and tales!
Head smooches !

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He is so damn cute! I'm so glad it's been a smooth transition for you guys!