Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gotcha day prep tips/advice

kibaspirit

Lairian
Hello all,

I read around for some advice regarding introducing a kitten into a new home, but most that I could find applies when there are multiple cats/other animals in the home. It will only be Oogi at our place - please advise! We have a small house, only one level (no upstairs or downstairs) so I was wondering if I need to quarantine him for multiple days? The location where we are going to put his litter box and food is not going to be in the room where he would be quarantined - so the logistics of that choice is confusing to me. I figured we would bring him in, open the door to his travel kennel and watch him to see where he explores. All of his infrastructure will already be set up.

My breeder told me that Oogi is super outgoing and confident, so maybe there won't be much of an adjustment period. I'm pretty anxious about all this actually! I want to do it right.

PS - Will a 4 hour car ride be too long for Oogi without a potty break?

Thank you!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hi there!

I have a single cat too, and I always set up a comfort area for her with the necessities in a quiet place. But, I leave the door open so she can come out when she wants to. She’s always explored within an hour.

I don’t think for hours is too long fir a cat, but maybe for a kitten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kibaspirit

Lairian
@Sheldon13 Spoke with the breeder & she is going to remove food a few hours before we arrive to avoid any accidents. Guess all we can do is try right? I want to make him into a safe little kitty burrito - hopefully that security helps. Got a very nice kitty carrier that I think he will feel confident in. Thanks for the tip! I imagine an hour is all it will take for him to explore.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@kibaspirit welcome to sphynxlair! How exciting Oogi will be home soon. When I got my boys (they came together and I had no other pets at that time), I let them wander through the house as they wanted. I made sure I saw where they were going and made sure they knew where their litterbox and food & water was. The first 2 weeks I locked them in the livingroom when I had to leave the house to make sure they wouldn't get into trouble.
When my boys came home I really looked forward to cuddle with him and hold them. I wanted it so bad I kind of scared them. I learned to wait for them to come to me. Or to go to them, talk to them and pet them a little while.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@kibaspirit I'm sure Oogi and you will bond quickly. My boys had eachother to cuddle so I was that strange woman for them;-) (have a great deep bond with them now). Oogi will come more easy to you for cuddles.
Most sphynx love warm blankets or towel (if you have a dryer you can warm the blanket), put it on yout lap and Oogi will crawl in!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kibaspirit so excited for you amd yours!
Great advice given

I alway recommed one extra litter box of you can - there are great “litter box hacks” if you google for ideas :)

*Ask the breeder what litter , type of litter box Oogi is used to amd use the same at least for the time being for a smooth transition to what he is used to
Set him up for success

I do recommend to use set up a room litter where there will be a permanent litter box.
I had to use a small bathroom - dragged in his blankies ( you can rub it on momma cat when you pick him up for a familiar scent ), cat bed , cat tree food and water .

I left a radio on amd camped out on the floor allwojg him to come to me .
Next day opened the door for free roaming largest common area with all other doors closed at the time -

Lots of praise amd a cat pole toy , warm blanket on My lap -
Went at kitties comfort level

Your boy sounds very outgoing amd will probably surprise you how quickly he settles in -
They are super curious and dang smart !

Kitty proof for life !

They get into onto over under everthing !
Kitty proof wires , keep toilet lid down, I put up kitties when I cook they love hot stove top!
Amd always double Check washer and dryer Before turning it on

Open doors very slowly watching the bottom corner for sneaky kitty !
They bolt fast underfoot too-
I trained mine like a dog to a meet n great spot .

Watch hairbands , hot hair appliances ,razor blades - mime stole from shower upper shelf! , qtips , dental floss (have to throw out in separate trash )
tv s and wires - mine leaped onto the wall mounted TV!

They love to knock stuff over for the hell of it too! So make sure any breakables are kitty proofed

If are going to use a collar make sure it’s a quality breakaway
(Mine run naked - microchipped amd I check with company they have correct contact info - your breeder may have had him chipped?)

Your breeder will definitely give you great tips and advice too !

I drove 6 hrs for pick up - kept crated with blankies
Amd a towel over the top on 3 sides to make a comfy cave -
4 Gotchas and all crated as such for several hour rides amd all slept -
Good idea your breeder withholding food

I did take a roll of paper towels and baby wipes I in case of any car sickness but never needed

So excited for you yours and Oogi
Lol love saying his name !

He is going to be a hoot of fun and love! Soo stinkin cute!

Also , if contract requires a wellness vet check within a certain time
You can call ahead and make an appointment and ask if they want a stool sample brought

kibaspirit

Lairian
@Yoda mom Our breeder uses 2 different litter types (including pellet), we have selected pellet. Also an open box was suggested so that it's easy to find and accessible. House is very tiny, so we won't need a second box. We have definitely been kitty proofing! But I suspect we will figure out where we went wrong when he gets into something :D

He is chipped & I have already made an appointment for a wellness check the Monday after gotcha day!

Thanks for all the tips! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kibaspirit
Sounds like you have all ready!
I just love saying Oogi name over and over ! Makes me want to sing lol !
Can’t wait for your journey with lots of pics amd tales !

Back