Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

[Gotcha Day!]-[Safira is home... I only have no idea where she is... :/ ]

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Heya lovely once.
Dear lord I'm going to have to write this in pieces while trying to shove something in my face called food cause I hadn't have the chance to eat yet and while looking for her... Constantly..
Of course pictures etc definitely will follow later! At the moment she's a handful! More then a handful.
(pics: I'm horrible with phone uploading so got to shove'm on the pc somehow and upload)

God picking up your kitten is a double cutting blade!
We put her in her basket as we deemed it safer to drive such a long way home.
(and her safety comes above my need to hold her all the way) but she reached her arm and paw out to her mom and her mommy cat to her. Needless to say me and the breeder where in tears. It was harsh. :cry:
I'm taking her baby away. God I felt bad for a minute or 10.
The trip itself went well, she slept the whole way and occasionally woke up to see what was going on (like when we took a turn or so and we even made a quick stop for a pizza as it's pizza day.)
[Lost her somewhere in this tiny studio...]

But at home, well no one prepared me for this lol. Dear lord. :wideyed:
So we put her in the litter box right away. But she crawled out and before I could pick her up again she ran under the bed. She hissed and growled at me. :nailbiting:
So I let her be for a while cause I can understand, away from mom and sibblings, everything new, big and scary! [She's hiding again]
Once I could 'grab' her gently again, I showed her her water and she drank, a lot, again bed hiss growl.
On attempt 3 I was able to show her her food, she ate like a piggy that was starving (being well aware at the breeder there is always kibble out, no way she's starving). Oh yes bed hiss growl again. :wideyed:
So now we're about 3-4 hours later, I lost track of time and she's again somewhere under the bed.
[I lost her again, I can here her mew, dear god be right back]

Don't get me wrong, I can pet her and if I wrap her in her fleece and cuddle her and kiss her she all allows that without complaining. Then she's the sweetest thing you can imagine. God not to mention she's softer then soft. Oh those head smooches and her smell. :love:
I can even touch her ears, nose and such without any complaining. She even sometimes purrs!
When she fell asleep in the blanket on my lap, for the love of god she's a heavy dreamer, breather and sound board. :ROFLMAO:
But once she woke up again > bed hiss growl. *sigh* :banghead: Like now, yes she's under there again.

The first 5+ few times she hid she at least made sound so I could track her with a small heart being scared she would be stuck somewhere, the little troublemaker!
(If I could get her out volunteerly I wrapped her up and cuddled and kissed her to bits of course)
Atm I lost her AGAIN!!! and it's death silent. I think the poor thing fell asleep under the bed somewhere between the boxes. :( Now I feel bad for her she has to sleep there, alone, even if it's cause she want to while she has so many warm soft places she could go to instead!

Thank god I have a awesome breeder that calls in to check how it's going, to guide me and comfort me that the hissing and growling will stop, that she's just a bit stressed for now due the big change.
She did laughed her b--- off when I told her her baby is a piggy that was starving.
She says not to worry, only to keep an eye that she goes to the litter box eventually. Preferable in it. :hilarious:

So the whole reason, bless my honest breeder, I got her 10 days earlier is that the kittens had a bad reaction, not sure it was on the de-worm or the injection. Safira was the trooper of the bunch, she only throw up a tiny bit, but the others. The poor baby's! 3 had to stay the night at the vet.
They got tested right away on gardia (I spelled it wrong, didn't I?) and got preventive medication just in case, but my breeder did request to come and get her just in case that when the 3 come back home they don't keep running in a circle of passing it down to one and other.
My breeder is doing this 10 years, I trust her completely and blindly due the good connection we have, so we went to get her to keep her safe here.
Meanwhile the results are in, thank god it's just a reaction. No parasites, no gardia, tritri or any other thing that could be it. Pfew!
I was so happy not only for me but also for my breeder of course. :LOL:

I only did notice, the vet on her European passport wrote Saphira.. Oh well, close enough?
Once we visit our vet, guess I can always ask if they can fix it or make a new one?
If not... Among celebrities spelling mistakes is a trend too no? :whistle::ROFLMAO:

And there you have it, that was my hell-one-of-a-kind gotcha day and why it got sped up.
What a story uh? :hilarious:
God this is going to be a long night. I wont relax until she feels comfy and home.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
she'll get there ;)(y) we'll get there.
only, if she would go poo or pee I'd be so happy. They use litter, I use wood pellets, it didn't get more then her scratching in it a bit and jumping back out.
Meanwhile, she showed up, got her tucked in on my lap, hugging, petting, kissing. :love: my little grumpy baby.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I lost her again. :ROFLMAO: well at least she already explored the other small half of the studio.
Still no intrest in the litter box but apparently the string of her sleep house is more interesting to gnaw on then the ball itself or the sleep house... Weirdo :ROFLMAO:
Edit, will get better pics hopefully tomorrow when it's daylight

Attachments

• Allpackedin.jpeg
    Allpackedin.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Sleepyincar.jpeg
    Sleepyincar.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 79
  • arrivedatappartment.jpeg
    arrivedatappartment.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 76
  • upstairsready2getout.jpeg
    upstairsready2getout.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 76
  • sheeatsinsanemuch.jpeg
    sheeatsinsanemuch.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 77
  • toosoft.jpeg
    toosoft.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 79
  • foundheragain.jpeg
    foundheragain.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 75
  • SafiraSleepfingergrab.jpg
    SafiraSleepfingergrab.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 74

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
First of all congrats! She’s a beauty for sure!
Second, I live for that adorable catsket (cat-basket). Where did you buy it?
Third, next time she peeps out from hiding, maybe try wrapping her up and bringing her into a smaller room, like the bathroom. Shut the door, and then let her explore a smaller, less intimidating space with you there. Offer the little piggy some treats, and let her get to know you on her own time. You could even set up her bed/blanket in there for the first night, then graduate her to your bedroom in a day or so. She may even cry for you tonight and decide to welcome a warm cuddle instead.
Fourth, the first few days will be a bit bumpy as y’all both get to know one another. After that, you won’t even remember how life was before her! They are the best! I’m looking for my second already.
Congrats again!

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Monica Thanks!
Is it ok if I PM you the site, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here and I rather do not break the rules hehe.
Well we live in a studio so it's kinda one big small space here. Ok besides the bathroom and toilet.
I got her in her sleeping place wrapped in so gonne take a profit of it and follow now I have the chance :p
Very bumpy, but a lot of hugs and kisses when -aaand she just woke up lol oh dear - she goes vocal to comfort her, show her she's safe, ok, not alone etc.
We already ordered... uhum I still have to inform my partner.. I already ordered a kitten of her other mom cat towards summer next year.
Safira and her mom are super grumpy while the other mom cat is like a porcelain doll. So two extremes. Love'm both!

We'll get there!

Thanks Catzzz ^_^ and thanks everyone actually.

Ok gonne shut down and asap she gets drowsy again, we gonne hop in bed. It's getting late. :ROFLMAO:

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She's lovely :)
As for the passport -- they can't make you a new one (or not without re-vaccinating!), but they may be able to alter the spelling of the name. :) It's not really a big deal. :) As long as the chip number is the same, it's not a problem.

I wouldn't worry about her hiding. She'll eventually figure out it's home, and then you'll have a holy terror following you everywhere.
Bye bye privacy. Hope you weren't attached to it. :p

Re: Privacy...
A friend of mine is very particular about closing the door of the bathroom, as she has a phobia about being observed. She came to visit and was in love with Pixie, going "I want one, I want one" whereupon I went "No, you don't."
Then she had to go to the bathroom. Pixie was hard on her heels and snuck in. The door had a flap that allowed her to get into the bathroom when the door was closed, since her toilet was in the bathroom. So putting her outside was pointless.
Calls of "Uh, can you get the cat?"
"Nope"
"But she's staring at me."
"Yep."
"I can't go with her staring at me!"
"Uh-huh. Still want a Sphynx?"

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Shmeeps yes! well almost. She still is a bit eeeww new home, new stuff, you... until I pick her up and cuddle but she'll get there (y) :ROFLMAO:
Once I cuddle her she mostly snoozes a bit and just lets me cuddle and kiss her to bits. :woot:

@Yoda mom hopefully! I'm not sure if my breeder can put me on top of the list again for a baby of the other mom cat but I sure did ask to keep me in mind for a sister (or brother) for Safira. (and also because she's so different, best of both worlds due hehe yin and yang!) (y)

@Silke Oh good to know. I'll be sure to ask my vet then in a week or 4 as she still needs her second shot asap she recovered a bit from the previous one.
I love the privacy part hehe. Well for me she can go everywhere with me, yes even there! I don't mind. At her own risk though. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Things I learned today already, yes in this short time:
She moans even harder now if she can't see me. If I walk over and she sees me she stops and goes play again. Until she loses me out sight again while I'm just at the same spot. Poor baby.
She already found her own parkour to walk :ROFLMAO: up the scratchthiny, over the bed, over the night stand, over the sofa on her little sleep/hide house rinse and repeat.
If you think you have enough fleece blankets... You never have enough fleece blankets! Never!
She's a deep sleep breather. It's like sleeping next to darth vader or bain from batman lol! Occasionally in her sleep she makes the cutest vocal sound (dreaming or sighting or something) which results in a sleepless night of oh no, are you ok baby? While she just sleep through of course. :ROFLMAO:

She didn't use her litterbox yet. She did drink a lot, ate good. But no litterbox yet. She'll have to go eventually right..?
Even if it's a tinkle, I would be thrilled to see a tinkle so I know I'm not in for any surprises.
And we did forget her baby bottle at the breeder though :( rats! now I have the powder here but no bottle.
I'm also not sure if a regular pet store would have one, online takes daaaays to ship over, wonder if the pharmacy has it.. Hmm.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Happy gotcha day!!!! It sounds like a crazy, but very happy day for you and adorable Safira. Ooooo how wonderful it would be to get a second from the other mommy. I also decided myself we needed a second, whether hubby liked it or not :ROFLMAO:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yumi thank you for the update :)
Lol yes never enough fleece blankies!

Has she used the litterbox ?
So,e ,e,beds like to use kitty attract litter - there is litter and a sprinkle topper version .
I have not personally used it
I train them like a dog
If they look at the litter box lots of verbal praise
I keep a treat jar nearby - as soon as kitty ford in the box -
Lots of praise - as soon as kitty exits the box I praise amd give one treat right right in front of the box -
Lol my boy would go in the box and then sit and wait for a treat ! Lol

Here is a link about litterboxes not using but it does have a section about how to tell if kitty does not like his or her liter box and some helpful tips
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

You could set up a second litter litter box -
I did am outer met search of "litter box hacks " and found great ideas

Rats about the baby bottle - maybe the breeder can send it to you ?
Some of the pet local stores may have one?

Awh she sounds like such a mommas girl! I love how Sphynx are Sooo interactive with their mums n dads
I sewer theey all have a zoomies gene too! Very active busy buddies ! :)

Head smooches sent!
Ps- if you make those rainbow cupcakes she will probably be the little helper
Be careful with hot stoves ! Mine is a magnet for it !
I have to put my crew in my bedroom if use the oven - omce it cools they make a beeline to investigate!

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations! She's super adorable.

Ir's great she already let you pet her and she sleeps in your lap. The hissing and hiding is normal. Everything is new and she's nervous, just like you. In no time you'll be her safe haven and she'll come running to you.

Some kittens wait for 24 hours before using the litterbox. If she keeps refusing to use the litterbox you can try litter like the breeder has and transfer to pallets later.

A wise decision to let Safira go to her forever earlier with the others not feeling well.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Ikr, legit never ever enough! Here I am thinking I was super prepared hehe. Silly me. :ROFLMAO:
Well eventually she took a small leak on it, I was praying of please let this be a good sign.
And yes! a hour later she had a nice steady tmi (too much information). Although I expected it to be more euh runny, but nope.
I did praise her and gave her a treat. I can only hope she keeps going there now. :love:
I'm so thankful cause if she went next too it of somewhere else, I would've understand. After all she comes from litter sand to pellets.
In worst case would've bought a second box with sand and try to transition her into pellets.
Just to be sure I'm still going to check the article you linked out. (y) Thank you for that!
What we have is a peewee, I wonder if there are more members who use a peewee or..?
It's like known but not known. :rolleyes:

I already got her to drink a bit of goat milk out of her other drinking/eat thingy.
Hmm lemme upload quickly.
CatIttray.png
On always has kibble, the other one I use for a little bit of special milk or wet food.
So she can have extra's and treats. :LOL:
We have a separate far bigger drinking tub cause she sure drinks a lot.
(Does anyone else Sphynxs always act like they never get food or water? :hilarious:)
I'm only not sure with the powder (strength powder) of the breeder if I can just mix it without bottle.
In worst case I can order one online, sending it would cost just as much for her and she already did so much for my baby.

She's not fully a mommy's girl yet, she needs time but she'll get there. (see general update below)
But oh yeah she sure has her active outbursts of playing. It's just too cute. But oh so tiresome.
I still have my chronicle illness issue and sometimes she tires me out so much you find us both napping lol!
Thank god the oven is too high for her, at least here. In our new home it"ll be lower.
And the stove is induction so fairly safe but I won't allow her near and if she comes near I will watch her like a hawk since I really want to avoid any accidents.

@Toa and Ross She's still a bit two face but it goes better every hour :LOL:
Of course as you say, everything is new and scary.
Well as you can read in Yoda mom's section, she did her thingy. Yaaaay!
And that indeed it was. Ok I know second socialization is very important too, but -god bless my breeder- I trust her decision. (y)

As in a general update:
So my little one finally used her litterbox. Win!
We also had a nap togetter. Win!
Only she woke up to go drink or eat or something and I accidentally dozed back off before I could check where she headed too. (Oops!) When I jumped up awake like oh no my kitten, she was sleeping alone in her cat tree thingy again, without blanket due my fault cause I had her blanket from earlier and although I have a few blankets, I didn't had one on top at the moment.
These little rascals can break your heart so hard, even if it's unintentionally.
Occasionally she still likes to hide, specially when my partner comes home from his long work day, then again he is here less so he's still more of a stranger then I am.
Even then overall she still sometimes like to hide. Less under the bed though and more in her sleep things. But she also comes out more, explores, plays with her things.
If she jumpscares from a sound despite being used to sounds with the breeder she still goes back into hiding for a bit.
Also sleeping she rather does in hiding. :rolleyes:
I haven't had her growl or hiss anymore at the moment and she likes to purr when I rub her back (her head not so much)
Then again up to a bit ago -as she's playing again now and running around- she was sleeping on my lap while I was poking around on the pc.
She also sometimes love bites my hand and then decides she likes to lick it rather then bite. :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes things like that makes me question the sanity of my little girl. Oooh bite bite, no wait.. lick lick! :ROFLMAO:
All by all I would say it is going well, and it'll need a bit more time.
Even if it feels a bit rocky with bumps, I wouldn't change a thing in the world as this is a once of a lifetime experience! (y):LOL:
Only thing, everytime I want to take a picture or video she stops doing what she's doing and ruins the shot. :whistle: rats! lol!

Ps during playing, sometimes I stare at her, then I can see a bit behind here leg, chest area pump heavy. I amuse that's her heart and that it is normal I can see it when she's hyper and excited? It's odd too see when you're not used to it.

Ps 2 that mini heart attack moment when she ran off to play cause no no, kitty doesn't want to nap anymore on the lap. But then jumps on the side of my desk chair to climb up.
So small and yet so strong and smart. Think my heart is in my throat at the moment now. Pfew!

Last edited:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Night two is starting, oh boy she just went super active as my boyfriend went to sleep.
We live in a studio so our bed is in our kitchen/living room.
Needles to say with a hyper active kitten running across him like a flying monkey he's a tiny bit grumpy at her. :nailbiting:
The amount of times I've had to run over when I saw her stand on the pillow is very high. :ROFLMAO:
Got her tightly wrapped in a blanket on my lap now but she keeps being a worm trying to get out.
It's going to be a challange to teach her that at a certain p -and she's gone..- point it's evening/night and rest time not play time. But of course her being a kitten she doesn't know better yet.
Tips are welcome (y)

Oh Edit; I tried playing with her to tire her out but she's not very interested, she just wants to run around like a maniac and jump up and down things at the moment.

Yoda mom

Staff member
They are strong hearty littl creatures!
When I got my first I thought she would be sooo fragile ! Not! She was tough as nails in a cutie little 6 lb body

Yah for pee Lol we are all proud at "poo patrol" as we call it here
so glad she used the box
setting up a second box is a great idea
Goats milk? Do you have goats? I wamted ome as a kid but when my dad was buya N got my mom put her foot down :(
Not sure if goats milk is okay for kitties- I know cows milk dairy should be given to kitties
Sure tome may have more ideas as to milk sources that would be okay for kittie - I was always told it was was a no no

Keep the great news updates coming!
Head smooches sent
She is doing great !

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom they sure are! Still my heart stops and aches when my partner pushes her away cause she's somewhere she shouldn't be.
I mostly pick her up and put her away rather then push. *sigh* :sorry:

Oh very proud yes. She didn't do another one yet but she still goes tinkel there. (y)

We don't have goats, we buy it in the store. My breeder gave green light for it so I assume it's ok.
According to her lactose free milk and special kitty milk from pet stores or sites are good to go too.
Aw so sorry you didn't get your goat. Hey it's still not to late if you have space? ((hug))
Hmm a no no, guess I'll go poke google to be sure although I tend to trust my breeder of course. :LOL:
Still she wont get it on a daily base, just now and then as a extra spoil moment cause most likely to much of those things is never good?

Well you see my last post lolol. Sleeping hell at the moment. :ROFLMAO:
He'll have to stick up with it for a while, we've sold our apartment, well studio and bought a bigger one, waiting for the deeds. Once those are in we can move. (At least another two months or longer though)
But there will be a separate room there to sleep. (y) then she can tire herself out not so close to the bed and tag along when she'll sleep.
Which still makes for now hands in hair of oh no, please stop running across my partner like a flying monkey baby. :hilarious:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They are strong hearty littl creatures!
When I got my first I thought she would be sooo fragile ! Not! She was tough as nails in a cutie little 6 lb body

Yah for pee Lol we are all proud at "poo patrol" as we call it here
so glad she used the box
setting up a second box is a great idea
Goats milk? Do you have goats? I wamted ome as a kid but when my dad was buya N got my mom put her foot down :(
Not sure if goats milk is okay for kitties- I know cows milk dairy should be given to kitties
Sure tome may have more ideas as to milk sources that would be okay for kittie - I was always told it was was a no no

Keep the great news updates coming!
Head smooches sent
She is doing great !

Cows milk no, goat milk yes (in limited amounts). It can have good probiotics in it.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Yumi rrading your posts brings a big smile on my face. I can feel the love you feel for your little girl.
It's all so familair: the biting and then start licking (she probably bites cause she wants to start to suckle on your skin and wants to get hold on a piece), the running around when it's bed time (bedtime is playtime for my crew) and the climbin on thing without any fear on things that are way to high. The little heart that beats like crazy. Just all the cute things that makes you worry at the same time.
Yep, you truely are a sphynx mom!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I keep smiling too :)
No there are never enough fleeces. I have about 50, and yeah... not enough.
With the vaccinations -- call your vet (or, even better, check in and take the passport) about the boosters she needs, because they have to be done within a certain time frame. He can tell you when, and book you in for it.
As for the bottle... Any TOY shops near you? Because they make play bottles for dolls. :p Or used to. You might find a small one there. Otherwise I'd just use a regular one. Tho I don't think she'll really need it. :)

@Yoda mom I'm thinking of adding a pygmy goat...maybe... lol and a few chickens. (Would love guinea fowl but they are very expensive here)

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross and @Silke I can read your reply's but my brain cannot anwser yet.
She kept us up all night and didn't sleep through like the first night.
Apparently bopping the face or toe biting at 4 AM is fun! I'm such a zooooombie at the moment.

Back