Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Graphic Stuff Here (Picture)

JacksMom

Banned
Help! Okay, so boy is almost 7 months and is obsessesed with sucking on his own little lower 2 tits, which, by the way, are now HUGE! Everytime he wants to cuddle or I pick him up, he goes straight down to them and sucks away, purring and kneading the whole time. He falls asleep this way; cuddles this way; he has no shame, he'll do it right in front of an audience of tons of people! I wake up to the sounds of sucking multiple times in the middle of the night. It's like seriously all the time! It's an obsession. Some people like really get weirded out when they see it, others laugh. The ones that get weirded out, well, I just try to explain it away and say "it's a comfort thing." He's been doing it since right after I got him (took him from his mother). He's still little, but honestly, I just don't know about him carrying on this way as a full grown guy! Help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I was trying to give it time, but it's not getting any better. At all!

Should I eventually try bitter apple on him? Below is a picture I took on my phone of him "in the act" sleeping on me. He seriously sleeps this way all the time, back legs stretched out...looks like a little goof!

Attachments

• Weirdo Pic.jpg
    Weirdo Pic.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 112

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Polar did that also and i tried the bitter apple and it did not faze him.
Your boy will grow out of it also.
I felt the same way you do and people would make fun of Polar and laugh.
Polar is 1.1 years old now and does not suck his nipple anymore.

holly_savage

Banned
I truly am sorry to be laughing when you are obviously concerned, but

O
M
G
!

I scared both cats cause I laughed so hard!. That picture is adorable, and I would get some video...it could go viral on youtube.

My best friend's mom's cat used to do some thing similar, but he wasn't sucking on his nipples! If you get my drift? It was the funniest thing to see, suckling noises, purring, kneading, little grunts and chirps...and then he'd fall asleep.

Anyhow, I don't really have any advice, but it sounds like he's going to grow out of it from what everyone says.

Good Luck!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ok, so i see your concern...
but i just cant help but smile and laugh! not laugh in a bad way... but in a OMG that's the cutest thing ever way! :)
that picture is the cutest thing EVER!
my take on bitter apple- IT DOESNT WORK!! not in my house at least! ive tried it on 4 dogs- what do they do?? EAT IT! lick whatever it's on!
could you maybe but a jumper outfit?...

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok I know your concerned but that is so cute!! He is adorable!!! Vets sell something stronger than bitter apple...for the life of me I cant remember what it's called. If bitter apple doesn't work you can always go that route. Good luck.

Morticia

Lairian
Morticia did suckling, but she suckled on me! i couldn't sleep! Her suckling was so loud haha I've been told that cats who suckle on themselves can get skin problems because their skin gets humid all the time, so i started using roll on deodorant on my skin - when she started suckling - and it worked! Morticia stopped suckling less and less and now she's grown out of it... :)

JacksMom

Banned
That's what I am hoping that he really does outgrow it! I don't think he was taken too early...he was 14.5 weeks old. The breeder said she let them start going between 14-16 weeks...so I guess that's normal time? Hmmmm....

When I get home and he's excited to see me, he rubs all over me, follows me around, and then when I pick him up, he immediately goes to suck, purrs and kneads. I know it's a comfort/happy thing for him AND when he's ready to sleep, he curls up in a ball and starts sucking and purring and kneading.

Jack's not an insecure or timid guy at all, loves people, adventures, going on rides, likes to be in the center of attention in parties he's gone to where there are more than 50 people. I take him all over the place, and he loves it; he cries like a madman when I go out to the garage and leave him here! So, it's kinda strange to me that he isn't the timid/insecure guy that would need to do THIS for comfort! He loves to cuddle on me, and I wish that were enough!

I will give it some more time...maybe till he's a year, and if it is still not subsiding, I will talk to my vet! Thanks all, and no problem here! I laugh at him every day! Hoping he feels some sort of humiliation....hasn't worked yet!

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awww, I think it's cute. I bet if Jezebel was smart enough to figure out that she could do this, she would too. She sucks, kneads and purrs on my neck any chance she gets and I'm trying to break her of this. I have to go into defensive ninja mode whenever I lay down in bed.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is f@## hilarious!
Its not a problem unless he develops skin problems from doing it.
I think bitter apple or something worse from the vet is a good idea, but only if it really bothers you or if his skin acts up.
What an adorable pic!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OH MY DOG - I was snorting up my water when I saw this. How funny is that picture you took. Anyway my Mom was nearby and I had to show her the post and picture. She thought it was hilarious. I told her that there ARE Sphynx out there that are worse than Dinka as far as the nursing thing goes. You know what she said? Oh, that's an easy solve, put a sweater on the cat. You know, I am proud of my Mom. She has been paying attention to all the Sphynx related things I have been telling her. Dinka is 8 months now and still tries to nurse me. Some nights I just give in because we are in bed, snuggeling and I want to sleep. It is getting less frequent if that gives you any resolve.:Smile:

Back