Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

graying/dull fur?

MikkiJean

Lairian
Hi all!
I usually come here in hopes of finding my future sphynx... with everyone rescue being hundreds of miles away :eek:(

But today while eating dinner I noticed my orange tabby's fur seems to be getting dull. The tip of his tail turned gray a week or so ago and his back fur is looking grayish/dull as well. He is only a year old so it's not age.

Should I be concerned? His veterinarian is closed right now, so I guess I'm just looking for some advice until they open in the morning

Thanks
Mic

susi794

Staff member
Sounds like a vet visit is called for--I have no clue what is wrong, but that sounds like a pretty rapid change--but it could also be changing coat---shedding the old and needing to get rid of it for the new. Has the weather changed where you are just recently? Dead hair that needs to be brushed away is usually dull, but don't remember it being gray. Check with your vet.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello MikkiJean. Welcome to Sphynx Lair.

I think I would be concerned about a the tip of his tail turning gray so quickly. If he is not shedding the dull hair a change in coat lustre could be a sign he is not well. Have you changed his food over the last month or so?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
As well as the rest have said what coms to mind is dehydration. This could cause a quick coat change. A way to get an idea at home yourself is a pinch of his skin, if it bounces back to normal quickly then it is not that, if it stays up and pinched then he is dehydrated.
Please keep us posted on him.

MikkiJean

Lairian
I got him from a human society. He's been home with me for 2.5 months and we haven't had any problems. I pinched his skin and he doesn't appear to be dehydrated from that test. The weather hasn't changed too drastically here, it's just been raining a lot. His diet was changed about a month ago from IVET to Taste of the Wild which is a grain free food.

I guess it's really just the tip of his tail that is gray and the rest of the fur on his back is just really dull. The fur on his face and belly is still the same orange/red color it's always been.

I've got an appointment with the vet on Monday. Hopefully everything checks out

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good luck. Please let us know what the vet says. I'm curious. I wonder if there is a significant difference in omega fatty acids or something between the two foods.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the lair!! Not sure what the issue could be but please keep us posted. Hope its nothing major but I'm curious to know what it could be.

MikkiJean

Lairian
Louis is just fine! The vet doesn't know why the tip of his tail is gray, but he;s not sick or anything. His fur on his back isn't dull anymore either, and it wasn't when we went to the vet.

Guess I was just a bit paranoid... but better paranoid that sorry later down the road.

Thanks everyone for your concern!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear your orange tabby is ok. His graying tail is a curious thing. We may never know why but I wish we did.

Back