Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Greedy guts!

Cotton777

Lairian
We have had Jareth for a week now and he is amazing. 12 weeks old. Straight in the litter tray, good poops and LOVES his food!

The love for food is causing an issue. We have a 12 year old furry cat and he is very routine, will only it in his normal place and likes to take his time, Jareth however will eat his food in a flash and then go for the older cats food.

my older cat is managing to eat some food but then gets huffy and we have to move the adult food so Jareth doesn’t eat it. But the older cat doesn’t like eating anywhere else than his normal spot!

He not going to starve to death by any stretch of the imagination but I was wondering how other people have dealt with something like this and any ideas of when his appetite might slow down

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All I can suggest is taking Jareth out of the room when your other cat has his meal, to let him eat in peace. What's your furry boy's name btw? :) As far as appetite goes, it might slow down when he stops growing, from 1 year upwards, but then again it might not! Some of these lovely nakids are just bottomless pits, and will try to munch anything anytime :ROFLMAO: Do you think he's overly hungry? What do feed him, how often and how much?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Do you feed kibbles? You can try a slow feeder. Or indeed sepereate Jareth when your older cat is eating.

Cotton777

Lairian
All I can suggest is taking Jareth out of the room when your other cat has his meal, to let him eat in peace. What's your furry boy's name btw? :) As far as appetite goes, it might slow down when he stops growing, from 1 year upwards, but then again it might not! Some of these lovely nakids are just bottomless pits, and will try to munch anything anytime :ROFLMAO: Do you think he's overly hungry? What do feed him, how often and how much?
I feed him 2 high protein pouches of kitten food a day, one in the morning one at night and he has Royal Canin kitten dry food left out for him.

I don’t think he’s overly hungry, just think he’s greedy and the older cat won’t eat his food any quicker than he wants to! He’s been wormed so hopefullt

As for the older cats name, well.... I got him and his brother as my first pets when I left home and I was young and.....lazy? I figured as they were going be be house cats I felt silly giving them names, the cool teenager I thought I was, so they were “black one” and “grey one” from that day forward. They have vet names, Jet and Cotton. Grey one left us nearly 2 years ago now but black one still runs and plays like a kitten, until he’s had enough :)

C49B57E6-FDC7-4A17-87D3-F6C793D844B7.jpeg

Shmeeps

Lairian
I have the same issue. The older one eats on top of the counter and the younger one eats on the floor. It's not the ideal situation but I give the older one a head start on her meal and kinda coax the younger one along in my coffee making routine and then set his down. He will still gobble it down and head for hers. I always remove him and tell him no and he usually sits there until she leaves her bowl. Once she leaves its fair game.

Back