Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Green and Bloody Poop.... Astrid's Adventures

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So Astrid is not having a good day.She's acting normal thankfully, but her poop is grass green and filled with blood. It was so bad that the cat that hates bum wipes, came and meowed at me to wipe her butt because she had poo and blood everywhere...

So off to the vet we go today (in an hour). They weren't worried. The lady says it sounds like a parasite.

So have a poop sample to take and a very confused Astrid. She knows something is up, didn;t cover her poo and came and meowed at me.

So hopefully it can all be sorted out :) I will update once I get back from the vet

Dimas

Lairian
So Astrid is not having a good day.She's acting normal thankfully, but her poop is grass green and filled with blood. It was so bad that the cat that hates bum wipes, came and meowed at me to wipe her butt because she had poo and blood everywhere...

So off to the vet we go today (in an hour). They weren't worried. The lady says it sounds like a parasite.

So have a poop sample to take and a very confused Astrid. She knows something is up, didn;t cover her poo and came and meowed at me.

So hopefully it can all be sorted out :) I will update once I get back from the vet

Poor baby, sorry she's not feeling well. Glad you are on top of it and getting her to the vet! Prayers she gets bk to her normal self soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just got back.... just an inflamed gut. Apparently, the blood is not uncommon in cats and is not as scary as it is in humans. It was most likely caused by the food I changed her to, changed it to fixed her dirtiness and nasty poo. The vet wasn't worried but suggested I switch her to a food that has some grain in it. I was in the right changing the food, though. The vet gave me an article about food and the ins and outs of it from Ohio State University. So if is any good I'll post it :).
So, to fix the problem Astrid is on Metronidazole, it is an antibiotic but it helps with inflammation. And she is now on a new food the vet version of Royal Canin, Gastrointestinal, moderate calorie. Once the bag is done I have to go back in to figure out a new low-calorie food for her because she is still getting chubby! Should fix the problem in the next 24 hours.
Could have been a big problem if it continued and I didn't take her in. The vet does not think it will be a reoccurring issue :)

The Little Piggy also likes the new food. She is not going to like the only allowed 5/8 of a cup though... she already inhaled her half portion.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Maddie
You done the best thing. Glad it was caught very soon.
Do you just give her 5/8 of a cup per day or per feeding?
Royal Canin, is a good food. Can she eat the regular Royal Canin
after the perscription from your Vet?
I'm sure they have one for reduced calories.
I just worried if it's 5/8 of a cup for a 24 hr period.
That's not much food, especially for a Sphynx.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bag says daily feeding portion. It seems like a piddly amount, but with free feeding she gained 0.4kg in two months. I will see how she does on it. Ends up being more like 3/4 because I'm not measuring out 9 tablespoons of food. So I will see how she does, I'm not planning on starving my baby lol so she will probably end up with a bit more.
I think she can. I have to go back in the talk to the Tecs to figure out her new food once she finishes the tummy bag. They will sit down with me and figure it all out.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Vet called today to check on Astrid :)

She's doing better, still hating the diet lol.
Poop is still green but not as bad. Should go back to normal in the coming week

Was nice to hear from the vet lol a little creepy getting the call though! Raced through my head that they suddenly realized it was something horrible and she needed to be in immediately lol.

Bonus Astrid picture!
IMG_2447.JPG

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you have been having with Astrid. Poor girl. But it sounds like she is in great hands, and you have a great plan for her. Still sending you lots of healing hugs and vibes. She seems like a trooper. Keep us up-to-date.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to hear Astrid is doing better. Can imagine you started to worry when the vet called and what a relief the vet only called to check.

Astrid is such a cutie!

Back