Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Green Thumb Help!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
HELP!! A plant is a non-sphynx pet, right? Lol

I got a majesty palm about 2.5 months ago. The first month went by without issues & I was so proud, but since, everything is going downhill!
Background: I followed the repotting instructions, waited 6 weeks, then added palm food, water once a week when soil is dry. The plant is in my master bedroom with lots of natural light. We don’t even turn on lights until it’s dark out bc it’s so bright inside from sun up to sun down! I’ve pruned off 3 brown fronds. Minka does nibble the ends at times.

I’m notoriously black-thumbed, aka I kill everything green! :oops:

Indoor Kill Count:
Pothos Ivy
Christmas Cactus
Assorted succulents
Poinsettia
African Violets

E2AF9C8D-82C2-445C-AEE1-3B16B535A542.jpeg
C39ECE32-84E6-4C35-BBBC-71CD81B3B506.jpeg

Week 1 vs Now (+ dog foot)

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
HELP!! A plant is a non-sphynx pet, right? Lol

I got a majesty palm about 2.5 months ago. The first month went by without issues & I was so proud, but since, everything is going downhill!
Background: I followed the repotting instructions, waited 6 weeks, then added palm food, water once a week when soil is dry. The plant is in my master bedroom with lots of natural light. We don’t even turn on lights until it’s dark out bc it’s so bright inside from sun up to sun down! I’ve pruned off 3 brown fronds. Minka does nibble the ends at times.

I’m notoriously black-thumbed, aka I kill everything green! :oops:

Indoor Kill Count:
Pothos Ivy
Christmas Cactus
Assorted succulents
Poinsettia
African Violets

View attachment 94170View attachment 94171

Week 1 vs Now (+ dog foot)
Lol! Kill count so funny...

I have a brown thumb too for the most part. I’ve found though that I tend to kill with kindness, aka over watering. Is that a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It does seem to need a bigger pot than that. Is it in a sunny location?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Sheldon13 It's in a corner with huge windows, two of which have a shade which are up during the day. The other three windows in that room are up higher & always open. So 3/4 walls are windows. I know the room faces the E/SE... no clue if that matters.

I assumed I needed to change it to a bigger pot eventually. Do you think it may be dying bc of this?

alandsim

Lairian
Not sure... bc you do sound like you are doing it right from what you said by watering as soon as the soil's dry but I would think brown tips mean under-watering!

I tend to have the opposite problem of over-watering and now what I do when I water my bigger plants is put the whole pot in the kitchen sink, SOAK the soil, and let it sit in the sink until water is no longer coming out the bottom.

I was a frequent killer of spider plants and now the key to my success with those is a self-watering planter (which can be placed in a slightly larger and cuter ceramic planter) because you can look right in the bottom section and see if the plant needs water.)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I always neglect my plants, forget to give them water and then give them water way too much. I never follow any instructions. Still they stay green and growing well. I just tell them I love them and think they're very beautiful:).
Don't know if that does the trick though.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh see Boogie got in the pic :)

Does it have good drainage ?
Brown is usually underwatering ,
Yellow is often over watering or poor drainage

Several good articles on line for indoor majesty palm care
Hope it helps ..

I find this with my outdoor palms...
currently killing my coconut potted palm with all the Florida rain

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I read that if the leaves turn brown from the tip inwards, it's too dry, and if they go yellow all over, it's too wet. They like high humidity - is the air quite dry would you say?

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Are you feeding it too?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Sheldon13 Yes I’ve fed it once so far, per plant food instructions. Possibly due for another feeding?

@Cinafina @Yoda mom @alandsim Hmm I thought I was watering it frequently enough, but probably not! I do think the planter is too small, so it doesn’t hold enough water for this big of a plant. I’m going to try the soil soaking/draining today!
***Btw, would Minka chomping on the end of the fronds be a cause for them to go brown? I do notice that the ones that are brown are in her munching range.

@Toa and Ross You probably have the elusive green thumb, lol! My grandma can grow anything too! She can take a plant that’s on it’s last legs & have it looking plush & leafy in no time. She knows all the Filipino gardening secrets like coffee grinds & egg shells... however, when I try them, they have the opposite desired effect.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica the less I fuss the better mine do ...
Hmmm perhaps a consult with grandma for tips!
I use egg shells and coffee grounds too!
Lol Starbucks used to have people in line for left over coffee grounds for the garden ..

Every day I put my grounds out in the garden ..

As for your palm Her chewing it can’t be a good thing for her or the plant
Remember fertilizers travel though the plant so really wouldn’t want her chomping it personally..

So hard to keep pets and plants... mine plants are all outside now

Could you move The palm to outside the window ?