Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Greetings and Salutations...

Jabberwocky

Lairian
Hello, my husband and I just brought home our first Sphynx kitten a week ago and we are in love. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Porpington, "Mimsy" is probably the most awesome and unique animal to ever own us.

We are just getting used to the responsibility that the Sphynx breed brings, as well as the noises that come out of that bald cutie; but overall, we're very happy with our new baby.

I do not really have any questions at this time, I am pretty well-researched and familiar with the biological functions and needs of most living creatures, so I think the real reason I am here is to make friends with other Sphynx lovers. I have received mixed reviews from friends and family, some love Mimsy, others think my husband and I were crazy for paying the cost associated with purchasing a Sphynx. A few have even said some mean things and called Mimsy very unfriendly names. I think the Sphynx is a beautiful breed, and for those that cannot be bothered to understand...they are surely losing out.

So, I look forward to sharing experiences with everyone.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair, Jabberwocky and Mimsy. I think you'll find this a very friendly and informative place.

holly_savage

Banned
Welcome to the Lair, and I am sure we all know exactly what you mean...they are a special breed of cat...We got our first one in December and the second one this past weekend...still want more!!! LOL

Can't wait to see pics of little Mimsy...btw///love his name!

firehillqueen

Banned
Welcome welcome welcome! You have such a pretty baby! I got my first Sphynx just a few years ago. Now I have four. Never mind what rude people say about your baby. We who have them know they are the most wonderful creatures ever!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings! My name is Mike and my buddies name is Butterball. He has owned me for about a year and a half. He makes me smile every day. I would love to be owned by another sphynx. I was thinking of getting Ball a girlfriend even though his equipment doesn't work. As soon as the right opportunity comes around and my finances are in order I will be getting another.

Anyway, this is Butterball. Everyone seems to like this picture.
image.php

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jabberwocky and welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad you found us! We can't wait to hear some good stories! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Jabberwocky

Lairian
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I will have to take more pictures, although I do have a few, I'll have to figure out how to upload them.

Mike, Butterball is gorgeous!! My husband and I have already decided that we're going to get another Sphynx in a year.

My husband does have a question, he wants to know if it's true that a Sphynx cat only gets attached to one person in the household. This is what we were told, and he is a little upset about it because Mimsy obviously loves me more, hahaha...

Is it odd that I'm treating this cat like a person? lol.

My husband does have a question, he wants to know if it's true that a Sphynx cat only gets attached to one person in the household. This is what we were told, and he is a little upset about it because Mimsy obviously loves me more, hahaha...

Is it odd that I'm treating this cat like a person? lol.

Welcome to the Lair Jabberwocky!! Your Mimsy is adorable and I just love the name! ANd no, it is not odd that you treat Mimsy like a person. I don't think any of us here think of our Sphynx as "just cats".

As for it being true that Sphynx bond to just one person, I know my Amaryllis seems to be a bit more attached to me but Gable seems to enjoy being around us all equally. He does sleep next to me at night :BigSmile: I am also the primary caregiver though too. Both can just as often be found to perch on Daddy and fall asleep!

Welcome to the Lair! I hope you find all the friends you're looking for, we're a nice bunch.

It's true they can become attached to only one person. But most Sphynx I've met are attached to more than one person, just one more so. Alice loves me most, but she also loves my mother and is always trying to cuddle. Unfortunatly for my husband Alice sort of ignores him. But that's because when she first came home he was working a lot so she didn't see him much. She saw me everyday.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. Mimsy is too cute. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I think Sphynx are known for forming close and unique bonds with their humans and aren't afraid to let their preferences show, but I wouldn't say they only attach to one person. But if it helps you get a second Sphynx, definitely tell your husband the next one will be his. :Wink:

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome!

I see we have at least two things in common : Sphynx cats, Lewis carol infatuation and spouses!

--I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

I just recently (three weeks ago) added a second sphynx -- I haven't found that either of mine have become attached exclusively to either My wife or I... that is to say one day the pay no attention to me and all to her, and the next day the opposite -- contrary beasties, but I love them for it!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Jabberwocky! I adore Mimsy's full name!

We have 2 sphynx girls, Freya was a rescue from CL, and she definately prefers me to my husband. Gummi is our kitten, she is my heart, but given the choice she prefers my husband, lol I have found that they are extremely social however, and will snuggle with both of us at times, but yes they do play favorites!

tessblack

Banned
Welcome guys! We just got our first two last september and as you say just so in love with these guys. I am sure you will find a lot of good info and great people on here.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think Mimsey is just the cutest thing ever especially in your avatar. Welcome to the Lair!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Welcome to the site.
You can never have 1 sphynx.
He is a very pretty cat.
I got my first sphynx in Dec 2008 and my 3rd one in March.
You can never have 1 sphynx they are like potato chips.

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynxlair! You will love it here. Mimsyis absolutely adorable, and I love his name! I hope to add a Sphynx to my family in the future--when the time is right, with the right kitty. So, I love this site for the people, and I feel as if I "own" several Sphynx of my own, just by reading other members post about their little ones. Enjoy!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! I love Mimzy's name! Its so cute and so is he!!!

I'm only on my first Sphynx currently (second arrives end of August or first week of Sept), we got her in Jan, she is the light in my eyes! I do not treat her like a cat, I treat her like my baby and have full conversations with her! She tends to prefer me over other household members but I am also the primary caregiver and I'm also the one who picked her up from the breeder. The second kitty is for my boyfriend,,,I'm hoping she will attached to him so he will quit complaining that Snuffie gets all my love. lol

Jabberwocky

Lairian
Wow, thank you for the welcomes!! You guys all seem like wonderful people!!

Fester, yes, you are spot on, I am indeed a huge Lewis Caroll fan.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that treats my Sphynx like a person, lol. I have been talking to him and treating him like a baby. He just doesn't seem like a cat to me.

We have discovered that Mimsy likes to make odd noises, especially when he's not happy about me moving him to another location. For instance, he will find a way to curl up under my legs, so when I move, he makes a rasping growl, lol. I've never heard a cat make a noise like that before. He also whines when I go too far away from him, which has put me in the dilemma of figuring out where to put him when I leave my house. So, I guess he's going to need his own bedroom...

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
...which has put me in the dilemma of figuring out where to put him when I leave my house. So, I guess he's going to need his own bedroom...

I recommend letting him stay in YOUR bedroom. Your scent on the bedding will be a big comfort to him while you're gone.

Back