Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Greetings from FL

Finally worked up the nerve to join and introduce myself.

I've been longing for my very own sphynx for about 10 years now... I suppose in a way it's a very good thing I've yet to have the privilege (I will explain shortly).

I've cared for all manner of creatures - furs, feathers, fins and scales... and my previous feline babies were calico, burmese & manx - I've loved them all dearly!

In May of 2008, we tragically lost all of our animal companions, as well as my husband's parents and brothers in a violent F4 tornado. This storm took our home, all of our possessions and our health as we were critically injured and thrown over 200 yards. The details of my story can be found at: EF4 Tornado Survivors . I do not mean to bring anyone here down, just want to share a little of my background and what has led to me finally pursuing my dream of finding my very own skin kitty ;)

As we are now both disabled, we have the time to devote our love and energy to a new member of the family. I would love a kitten, but feel that obtaining one from a breeder may be quite out of our financial ability. I was notorious for rescuing ANY animal needing a home when I had 10 acres, but now we are restricted to a retirement community that will at least allow us to have a kitty. So, I am on a mission, and would be happy to adopt a healthy sphynx of any age who is in need of a loving home.

As my last, lost love was a beautiful red poodle, I am now hoping to fill the hole in my heart with a precious sphynx. I am sure that their friendly, affectionate, cuddling personality would be the perfect medicine!

I would welcome any advice from you experienced sphynx moms and dads on how best to fulfill my dream.

Thanks and regards,

Heather​

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Welcome to the site.
Sorry about the Tornado and you losing everything.
Please be careful with adopting.
Many of them have HCM which has killed many sphynx.
Sadly I have many friends with very sick sphynx and some have died.
Some breeders sell retired adults cheaper.
You will need to ask if the cats have been scanned if you adopt and if they have any other health problems.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Finally worked up the nerve to join and introduce myself.

I've been longing for my very own sphynx for about 10 years now... I suppose in a way it's a very good thing I've yet to have the privilege (I will explain shortly).

I've cared for all manner of creatures - furs, feathers, fins and scales... and my previous feline babies were calico, burmese & manx - I've loved them all dearly!

In May of 2008, we tragically lost all of our animal companions, as well as my husband's parents and brothers in a violent F4 tornado. This storm took our home, all of our possessions and our health as we were critically injured and thrown over 200 yards. The details of my story can be found at: EF4 Tornado Survivors . I do not mean to bring anyone here down, just want to share a little of my background and what has led to me finally pursuing my dream of finding my very own skin kitty ;)

As we are now both disabled, we have the time to devote our love and energy to a new member of the family. I would love a kitten, but feel that obtaining one from a breeder may be quite out of our financial ability. I was notorious for rescuing ANY animal needing a home when I had 10 acres, but now we are restricted to a retirement community that will at least allow us to have a kitty. So, I am on a mission, and would be happy to adopt a healthy sphynx of any age who is in need of a loving home.

As my last, lost love was a beautiful red poodle, I am now hoping to fill the hole in my heart with a precious sphynx. I am sure that their friendly, affectionate, cuddling personality would be the perfect medicine!

I would welcome any advice from you experienced sphynx moms and dads on how best to fulfill my dream.

Thanks and regards,

Heather​
Hey Mike, she's talking about us :LOL:

Welcome to the Lair
and I have to say your story is almost too sad to contemplate. I am very sorry this had to happen to you. So much death and devestation :Cry:

I have often thought about how it would feel to experience natures true forces. I live in a country where nature is pretty nice to us so I've never been in a truly hard storm, an earthquake or something like that. No volcanoes here either and we don't even have any dangerous animals really. A few wolves and bears but they never attack anyone.
Was in a storm while on The Dominican Republic once, they said it was a small one but I was in total awe. Couldn't believe how strong it was and that was nothing I know now.

I really hope you never have to experience something like you did ever again, so sorry.

Now, since you seem to start to get a bit of the ability to look forward again I am really sure a Sphynx is a good idea. If you are happy a sphynx will make you happier and if you are sad then pet it and rest your head against that warm body and I can assure you the purring and warmth will make you less sad.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair Heather. I can't even begin to imagine your losses and suffering. I pray things get better for you and your husband and the rest of your families. A little sphynx would help ease the pain, I think, and you'd be amazed at how much love they have to share. Good luck finding a kitty, I'm sure there's one out there somewhere. Sometimes breeders have "special needs" kittens and one of those might be a good match, start talking to them and let them know about you.

tessblack

Banned
Welcome. I am still in tears after reading your blog about what happened. I can't imagine anything so devastating happening, I never experienced anything even close to that so it is hard to relate. A sphynx or two would be great. I got my first two last year and just love them so much. They bring us so much love and comfort.

I know everyone here will keep there eyes open for rescues for you.

Inferno12

Banned
Welcome to the Lair. I am so sorry for your losses. Your story/blog is absolutely devastating and I cant imagine going through what you went through. No one person should ever have to go through what you did.

There are so many wonderful people here in the Lair and im sure you will find your naked baby soon. The people in here are really good at posting rescues so keep your eyes open. I think a Sphynx would be perfect for you. All of us here are so crazy about our nakeds and know what kind of joy they can bring someone.

Gizzymom

Banned
Heather, being in the midwest, tornadoes are, by far, my biggest fear. I live in an area that had an F4 tornado in 1967 in which 33 people died (before I was born)... and am not far away from where an F5 tonado touched down in 1990 killing 29 people. Thank god I was not in either one of them. I am so sorry for what you had to go through and reading your accounts of that day were absolutely chilling.

I'm glad you and your husband survived and that you found us!! Just give it time and you will find the purrrfect naked baby - I am sure if it!! Good luck and welcome!!

Jody & Gizmo

Thank you ALL for the welcome and the kind words; it warms my heart to have found so many kindred spirits :)

Every one of your babies are absolutely beautiful! I am completely and utterly convinced that a sphynx is for me. I will start a savings account for my new baby, and hopefully soon I will be a proud mama.

This is a wonderful group and thanks again for your kind reception.​

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to our online family of friends. We are opening our embrace and gently pulling you into the fold... I know there's a sphynx out there looking for you as we speak.
God bless,
Susi and the gang

Would you prefer an adult or a kitten? If price wasn't a consideration?
either... as long it was as healthy (doesn't have to be perfect, just healthy); i've never refused any animal in need, but my heart just couldn't take having to nurse a sick one so close on the heels of our last loss :(

Welcome to the site.
Sorry about the Tornado and you losing everything.
Please be careful with adopting.
Many of them have HCM which has killed many sphynx.
Sadly I have many friends with very sick sphynx and some have died.
Some breeders sell retired adults cheaper.
You will need to ask if the cats have been scanned if you adopt and if they have any other health problems.

Thanks for the advice, I did not realize that the sphynx was a breed susceptible to HCM... I have so much to learn yet and hope I can discern if a breeder is reputable.​

Inferno12

Banned

Thanks for the advice, I did not realize that the sphynx was a breed susceptible to HCM... I have so much to learn yet and hope I can discern if a breeder is reputable.​
There are plenty of people here that can help you answer any questions you have on finding a breeder. There are several posts on here about the same topic. There are also threads about HCM. Its a horrible disease and if I were you, I would read up on it. Unfortunately I did not know about HCM when I got my first Sphynx but thank god I got him from a great breeder. Im so glad you found us!!!:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

...I live in a country where nature is pretty nice to us so I've never been in a truly hard storm, an earthquake or something like that. No volcanoes here either and we don't even have any dangerous animals really. A few wolves and bears but they never attack anyone...
sounds like my new dream destination :Wink:

thanks for your very kind welcome :Smile:

Sometimes breeders have "special needs" kittens and one of those might be a good match, start talking to them and let them know about you.
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't really thought along those lines but it is a great idea! I emailed a breeder in Orlando last night to give her a heads up on my desire to adopt... even if the baby is considered "imperfect", they're all perfect to me ;)

Welcome. I am still in tears after reading your blog about what happened. I can't imagine anything so devastating happening, I never experienced anything even close to that so it is hard to relate. A sphynx or two would be great. I got my first two last year and just love them so much. They bring us so much love and comfort.

I know everyone here will keep there eyes open for rescues for you.
I am so sorry that my story brought you to tears... I sometimes forget how the tragedy impacts others, and your (everyone's here) empathy is very touching. Even though I experienced and lived through it first hand, it is still most incomprehensible - needless to say, we have to deal with ptsd daily. But, we also are extremely grateful for what blessings we do have and that we have each other :)

firehillqueen

Banned
Welcome to our little family of Sphynx Lovers. Your story of loss and survival is inspirational. My heart breaks for your losses. I am sure you will find support and comfort here and by letting this circle know about you I am sure that the right Sphynx will find its way to you.

Re: Filled With Love and Gratitude!

All of you here have truly touched me in a way that I could never have imagined.

I had received a pm with a link to a local breeder, to whom I had emailed my story. The generosity of this large hearted soul has moved us to tears; she has 1 week old kittens and has offerred to bring us one when he is old enough!

I am humbled and grateful; I could never thank you all enough! It is only by your caring efforts and concern that this has been made possible.

I can't wait to share pics of our new little one with you! :Adore:

Gizzymom

Banned
Re: Filled With Love and Gratitude!

All of you here have truly touched me in a way that I could never have imagined.

I had received a pm with a link to a local breeder, to whom I had emailed my story. The generosity of this large hearted soul has moved us to tears; she has 1 week old kittens and has offerred to bring us one when he is old enough!

I am humbled and grateful; I could never thank you all enough! It is only by your caring efforts and concern that this has been made possible.

I can't wait to share pics of our new little one with you! :Adore:
That is AWESOME!!!! Congrats on your new baby!!! We want pics as soon as you get them!!:ThumbsUp: