Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Grieving the loss of my precious girl to HCM

Robin Matsumoto

Lairian
With a heavy heart, I am at a loss of losing my 2 1/2 year girl to this horrible disease, HCM. Over a year ago I had my “Yoya scanned, ultra sound and a blood test for any possible heart disease. At the time of my cat’s ultrasound, her animal cardiologist wasn’t too concerned, “ we’ll test her in a year for more results”. Fast forward a year, on a quiet Sunday afternoon my cat began gasping for breath. Her regular vet was unavailable so I took her to a animal emergency hospital and with a quick triage, my baby was put in a oxygen box. Her lungs had filled with fluid, her heart had enlarged and was on the verge of kidney failure. There were no symptoms before this. Up until that day, Yoya was a perfectly healthy cat. Now I was being told that she was very ill and may not make it thru the night. I got a call that she coughed up fluid and was in the last stages of life, then miraculously she got better thru the night and I was able to bring her home on a Tuesday. So far everything was going well and she was her old self. I worked out the medication problem and began adding it to her food 3 times a day. Pimobendan, Furosemide, Clopidogrel. Then 5 days later, it happens again, the breathing, the duress. Back to the vet Emergency a second time. Did I say that the first visit cost roughly $3000.00 (?) this time it was worse, open mouth gasping. The vet was trying to get her blood pressure reading but it had fallen so dangerously low and they put an oxygen mask over her face..My baby was drowning in her own fluid and her blood pressure was even lower. The vet said if my cat were a human she would be having g a heart transplant and there are no animal heart transplants. My baby was suffering and I had to make that awful descion to send her to heaven sooner than I wanted. I was hoping to have her atleast a year with these disease but I think God had different plans. I think he wanted her more than ever. This was another $1500. But I didn’t care. I wanted the vet to do CPR if she went into arrest. ‘I” wasn’t ready to give up and let go. I cried so hard and tried to calm down. My boyfriend was with me and just as broken-hearted. I watched her gasp for breath, her mouth blue and swollen. Finally, I took my ego out of the equation and gave the vet the ok to allow her to die with dignity and take away her pain. They took me to a quiet room where they gave me my baby and I held her in my arms as she was being put to sleep. The vet gave her a sedative first and then the euthanasia. Yoya had gotten her Angel Wings and was on the fast track to heaven. I pray that I can see her some day when it’s “my time” Please hold your hairless babies close to your heart and give them lots of head smooches, hugs and kisses. God Bless

Attachments

• F2D5CE34-8E75-4829-BB64-511532D3CC36.jpeg
    F2D5CE34-8E75-4829-BB64-511532D3CC36.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 508F3BEB-5CA4-4914-A924-88CD24C5A95F.jpeg
    508F3BEB-5CA4-4914-A924-88CD24C5A95F.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 0732ACC1-5EA0-469D-8D27-5A6BFCFEF338.jpeg
    0732ACC1-5EA0-469D-8D27-5A6BFCFEF338.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 61A86972-585E-4FCD-A8D9-FE44B33F204B.jpeg
    61A86972-585E-4FCD-A8D9-FE44B33F204B.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 178B5A67-A959-4261-ACDF-9092419DE3E4.jpeg
    178B5A67-A959-4261-ACDF-9092419DE3E4.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 1C18C25B-A392-408B-8CC0-FE65581870E4.jpeg
    1C18C25B-A392-408B-8CC0-FE65581870E4.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 112
  • AAD7A165-C29C-4075-BDD6-79FB26969126.jpeg
    AAD7A165-C29C-4075-BDD6-79FB26969126.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 1F5837F3-3060-4196-9173-840190F1CCE7.jpeg
    1F5837F3-3060-4196-9173-840190F1CCE7.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 105

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry for the loss of your girl Yoya. You were with her and hold her close, all she felt was your love.
Big hugs for you

Motley

Lairian
With a heavy heart, I am at a loss of losing my 2 1/2 year girl to this horrible disease, HCM. Over a year ago I had my “Yoya scanned, ultra sound and a blood test for any possible heart disease. At the time of my cat’s ultrasound, her animal cardiologist wasn’t too concerned, “ we’ll test her in a year for more results”. Fast forward a year, on a quiet Sunday afternoon my cat began gasping for breath. Her regular vet was unavailable so I took her to a animal emergency hospital and with a quick triage, my baby was put in a oxygen box. Her lungs had filled with fluid, her heart had enlarged and was on the verge of kidney failure. There were no symptoms before this. Up until that day, Yoya was a perfectly healthy cat. Now I was being told that she was very ill and may not make it thru the night. I got a call that she coughed up fluid and was in the last stages of life, then miraculously she got better thru the night and I was able to bring her home on a Tuesday. So far everything was going well and she was her old self. I worked out the medication problem and began adding it to her food 3 times a day. Pimobendan, Furosemide, Clopidogrel. Then 5 days later, it happens again, the breathing, the duress. Back to the vet Emergency a second time. Did I say that the first visit cost roughly $3000.00 (?) this time it was worse, open mouth gasping. The vet was trying to get her blood pressure reading but it had fallen so dangerously low and they put an oxygen mask over her face..My baby was drowning in her own fluid and her blood pressure was even lower. The vet said if my cat were a human she would be having g a heart transplant and there are no animal heart transplants. My baby was suffering and I had to make that awful descion to send her to heaven sooner than I wanted. I was hoping to have her atleast a year with these disease but I think God had different plans. I think he wanted her more than ever. This was another $1500. But I didn’t care. I wanted the vet to do CPR if she went into arrest. ‘I” wasn’t ready to give up and let go. I cried so hard and tried to calm down. My boyfriend was with me and just as broken-hearted. I watched her gasp for breath, her mouth blue and swollen. Finally, I took my ego out of the equation and gave the vet the ok to allow her to die with dignity and take away her pain. They took me to a quiet room where they gave me my baby and I held her in my arms as she was being put to sleep. The vet gave her a sedative first and then the euthanasia. Yoya had gotten her Angel Wings and was on the fast track to heaven. I pray that I can see her some day when it’s “my time” Please hold your hairless babies close to your heart and give them lots of head smooches, hugs and kisses. God Bless
I am so so sorry for your loss. Your girl looks a lot like my Leeloo who turns one tomorrow. I am sitting at work crying with you. :(

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I know it is devastating. Know we are here for you. There is never replacing a baby, but if and when ready another hairless wonder would only be thrilled to be loved by you. Take it one day at a time. No matter how long they are with us, it is never long enough.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aw am sorry for your loss, just know she loves you and you done everything in your power to help her! you take some time for yourself n one day at a time, my heart honestly hurts for you..! Sending u hugs from Scotland xx

Robin Matsumoto

Lairian
Aw am sorry for your loss, just know she loves you and you done everything in your power to help her! you take some time for yourself n one day at a time, my heart honestly hurts for you..! Sending u hugs from Scotland xx

Thank you so much for your kind words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robin Matsumoto

Lairian
I know it is devastating. Know we are here for you. There is never replacing a baby, but if and when ready another hairless wonder would only be thrilled to be loved by you. Take it one day at a time. No matter how long they are with us, it is never long enough.

Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Robin Matsumoto, (((((comforting hugs))))
I am so so sorry for the loss of your precious beautiful friend Yoya.
i got teary eyed reading each line .
Your love and care for Yoya leaps off the page.

I am here for you as you have been for me .(((((((squeeze hugs)))))

I know my Yoda girl has found Yoya at the bridge and they are flying pain free and whole sharing stories of all the love they knew in this world.

Hold the best memories closest to heart .
Yoya only knew your love

Fly high sweet ^Yoya^
You live in hearts forever
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
[/USER]

Robin Matsumoto

Lairian
@Robin Matsumoto, (((((comforting hugs))))
I am so so sorry for the loss of your precious beautiful friend Yoya.
i got teary eyed reading each line .
Your love and care for Yoya leaps off the page.

I am here for you as you have been for me .(((((((squeeze hugs)))))

I know my Yoda girl has found Yoya at the bridge and they are flying pain free and whole sharing stories of all the love they knew in this world.

Hold the best memories closest to heart .
Yoya only knew your love

Fly high sweet ^Yoya^
You live in hearts forever
View attachment 83144 View attachment 83145 View attachment 83146 View attachment 83147[/USER]

Thank You for your kind and carrying thoughts. The compassion I feel just reading these reply’s warms my heart and soul and if I can ever pay it forward, I will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your baby Yoya. I came to read your post after you commented about my Finn's passing. I pray that your pain will ease a little more each day and that you will carry only the good memories of Yoya in your heart. She was such a beautiful girl and though her time here with you was much too short, I'm certain she had a very full and happy life with you. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Hang in there.

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl Yoya. You did the right thing, for her. I'm crying with you this is heartbreaking.:cry:

Back