Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

grim’s first bath

sphynxjinx

Lairian
oh boy, the day has come. grim is comfy enough with me now to make him hate me with a bath lol!! I have some unscented baby soap, and I’m wondering if i should pick anything else up on my way home from work?

the breeder told me that he hates baths lol great :’). any words of advice ??? anything would help !

here’s the little cuddle bug sleeping on my leg
45E81B5E-FF45-4956-805B-26B905BB08CA.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
awhhhh he loves his mum!
many do not use baby shampoos as the PH is different..
some use it with no issues..
with my first Sphynx I switched from baby shampoo to Hylyt shampoo ... soap freee, hypoallergenic, and EASY rinse.
I get at my vets or chewy.com, etc

1579194940578.png

very important with my spa day haters! there are several threads on spa day tips...
Exfoliating gloves are great..

close door, set up all supplies, rinse cups, drying towels in advance... I also keep a pitcher of warm water with 100% cotton baby face clothes in the sink to help spa day along.

Mine haaaaate spa day! @Hairless Blessing recommended the stokkes flexibath bath that has a drain plug and folds easy for storage. much easier on my back too. varies deals on line using coupon codes... or you can make your own with a little rubbermaid tote from a home improvement store carefully cutting a hole out in the bottom as a drain.

1579194793735.png

I put a towel in the bottom and drain plug out positioned over bathroom sink. when they stand up on the edge to protest I wash their underparts from neck to bum n tail. the Hylyt shampoo is a must here with its easy rinse for my spa day haters.

you got this! ps.... I wore a sweatshirt the first few times!

I did let them play with toys in the stokkes flexibath for a few days before using it.

surely members will chime in :)

hugs n head smooches
following for updates

Last edited:

sphynxjinx

Lairian
another spa day product I like :
for ears my vet got me hooked on trizultra 15 years ago... I like it because it can also be used on skin. I don't flush ears.
I wet flat cotton rounds with it to clean ears or dab on any skin nicks and clean toe nails with it too

many good choices for ear cleaning ... I like the real qtip brands for regular q tips and brand precision q tips wetted with trizultra to gently clean that outer edge skin botton that holds good.

thank you soooo much!! will definitely heed your advice and let you know how it goes lol :’) i’ve told my roommates to be quiet for it and will mentally prepare myself to stay calm lol

will also check out those bath time threads ! that is super helpful to know! thank u x 10000

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynxjinx you got this ! always scary the first few times... you will get a routine :)

here is a search result for bath tips
using the top right main page search box... you can play with it and see what you get for more specifics too :)

I read myself silly! :) with my first nakid and still learn something new from members everyday .. new members, seasoned members.. we all have something to share to help each other

I am soooo happy his has settled in ... and quickly I might ad.. .what a handsome boy!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Vetoquinol Care for sensitive skin. I buy it from my vets office.

The best advice I got from this site that really has helped with bath time is make the bath water a little cooler than you think it should be. My kitty still doesn’t like bath time but it goes easier for me with the water a little cooler.

I also put her on the floor if she tries to get out of the tub and then put her right back in the tub. She goes in and out a dozen times before the soap is totally rinsed off but it seems to work for her,[ATTAC
96C58B2C-769B-47E4-AB4D-91580C5318F4.jpeg

Lizanne

Lairian
Put a washcloth or hand towel, depending how big your baby is on his back and keep pouring the warm water on it. It calms them, somewhat like a sweater does. Plus it serves two purposes, as o use it to clean them too. It made all the difference in the world for me

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Annejo12 I'm surprised you mention that you actually put the water cooler then you'd expect, I've always read to do it warmer! I basically fill our tub the same temperature that I'd have a bath at.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Annejo12 I'm surprised you mention that you actually put the water cooler then you'd expect, I've always read to do it warmer! I basically fill our tub the same temperature that I'd have a bath at.
I had my water as hot as I like and I had a terrible time giving her a bath but someone on Sphynxlair had suggested cooler than you think. It still is warm but not hot. And I haven’t been scratched since doing this! I guess every cat is different!

Back