Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Guess Where I Was

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hate to post and run, but my "Mom duties" call.

Can you tell where I was this afternoon from looking at this picture?

Attachments

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ah, you guys are good. Yes, I decided to head into Deering Oaks on a whim and took my daughters with me. I thought it would make for a great teaching moment. My husband and I have always campaigned for equality issues. I once had a button that said, “I may be straight, but I'm not narrow†and actively volunteered for Equality ME. I wept when a loophole in voting laws allowed for a voter referendum to overturn our state government's Marriage Equality Law.

The rally itself was very casual and lacked major security. They estimated the size to be around 2000 -3000 which was fairly amazing for less than 24hours notice. The crowd was more diverse than some of the angles the local media covered, but admittedly it was mostly an under 60s crowd. . Mostly everyone was well behaved. I only saw/heard 2 counter protesters.

Thanks for posting the CNN clip, Alysha. The sound system was fairly good, but some words got lost in the wind so it was good to hear Lady GaGa's speech again. I appreciate her willingness to use her celebrity to bring attention to “Don't Ask, Don't Tellâ€. I thought her points were well made, although I could have done without the “meat†analogies again.

But what moved me more were the speeches by the former highly qualified, and in all cases high ranking men and women who lost their careers, livelihoods and retirement benefits when they were outed.

In 1993 DADT was an acceptable compromise between Clinton's administration and the GOP. I celebrated it as being a small step in the right direction. But the policy is flawed and outdated and needs to be repealed.

I understand that the military is different from civilian life. As a civilian I am granted protection from losing my job based on my race, age, sex, marital status, and even being a parent of school aged kids. My effectiveness in my job is based on my performance; as it should be. In order to be a soldier one must be physically and mentally fit and willing to make huge sacrifices to defend our constitution. A great soldier has to have courage, character, and competence. And here we have men and women who are willing to serve this country and to die in the line of duty to protect my rights not to be judged or discriminated against, that aren't given the same rights themselves. Something is wrong with this picture. It's time to support all of our highly trained troops and give them the respect and rights they deserve.

<MMSB hears herself starting to rant, sheepishly looks around and hops down off her soap box>

By the way, Kiennasmom, Gaga's shoes were awesome. I can't walk in anything higher than ballet flats!

Last edited by a moderator: