Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Had to Take Rosie to the Vet

susi794

Staff member
Came home to a very skinny and dehydrated Rosie this afternoon after work--so we went to the vet. She has a pretty good URI going on and was eating less and less for the last day or so, so when I came home tonight I knew we were on our way to the vet again.
Went to a new vet just to see if they had anything new to say--they don't. Anyway, put Rosie on Clavamox and taught me how to tube feed--which will come in handy, for sure--and gave her sub Q fluids and had me put her in a basket to warm her up with my rice socks and warming pads. When you insert the tube, if they can cry, you know you aren't in the lungs--they said to pinch a toe or something. I did, and no matter what I did she wouldn't cry, so I kept taking it back out. Then reinserting it....finally she chirped a little, so I think I got it in- in the right place. Dear God, I hope so. They said it will probably only be for a few days until she fattens up again. I'M TERRIFIED THAT I DIDN'T KNOW WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY THAT IT WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE! Could any of you nurses tell me if the tube were accidently in her lungs would I know by now? I did it about ten minutes ago. I'M SCARED TO DO THE WRONG THING...BUT I REFUSE TO LOSE HER TO STARVATION/DEHYDRATION!!!!
I'm just sick about the whole thing. I am trying so hard--I go to the vet, I do what they tell me, I battle everything I can battle. I love her so much--if I have killed her by putting the damn tube down the wrong place, I will just lay down and die myself. Her brothers are doing great, eating like piggies, running all over the place, batting my fingers, playing. Wonderful little boys...but Rosie is a tender little thing. Please pray for her REAL HARD. And for me, that I haven't done something wrong.

susi794

Staff member
She's pretty lethargic, so she wasn't crying....just basically laying there--fighting me hardly at all. I'm so scared.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I haven't tube fed, thank god I've never had too. I hope she makes it Susan. My heart is breaking for you. :Cry:

Did you measure the length etc?

Is this video any help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
Not sure, Susi.... signs and symptoms of aspiration are sort of the same as URI.... but I would hope if she was aspirating you would see some sort of attempt at coughing or some of the feeding would come out with cough.

Poor Rosie. I really hope she responds well.

I am hopeful you did it correctly.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh my goodness, I am so so sorry:Cry::Cry: I wish I could help you but I dont have a clue about this! I am praying real hard for you and Rosie!!!!!!!!!

J

Jinxlover

I don't know, but I would think you would know right away if you got it in her lungs. I'm so sorry you have to do this. I know how terrified I was when I thought I was going to have to tube feed mine. Just do the best you can. That's all anyone can do. At least you will know you tried... Good luck, You and little Rosie will be in my prayers.....

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG I would be so scared too. I'm sure you did a great job, Susi. You are an amazing cat mom!! Big hugs from me, Blue & Bayleigh.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh Susi I am so sorry this is still hanging around you sure do deserve a break by now.
I have never had to do this but from what I have read or been told about it, it is quite hard to get the tube into the wrong place because you would feel a great amount of pressure while trying to insert the tube when in the wrong place, when inserted correctly the tube should go in rather easy.
How is Rosie now? will be thinking of you guys.

GioThermal

Lairian
I am so sorry to hear about Rosie. How old is she? I don't want to scare you but I lost my Gia about a year ago. She stopped eating as much and couldn't hold down much food. I spent $$$ after $$$ at the vet trying to find the cause of her weight loss and loss of appetite. I had x-rays done and noticed that she had ingested part of my son's nerf dart and it was lodged in her intestine causing a blockage and contributing to her rapid weightloss. I brought her to the vet the very next day to have surgery ($1000+) to have the blockage removed. She seemed to be doing better but was still very out of it. On Saturday I notice a bulge near her incision site and called the vet immediately. I rushed her in and was told that she was bleeding internally and she only had a 10% chance of survival as they did not have any Sphynx blood on hand for a transfusion. I chose to have her put down that day (hardest day of my life). I still cry just thinking about her. Anyway, the reason I am telling you this is because Rosie may have a blockage. Gia didn't want to eat, lost weight and was very lethargic. Had I known it was a blockage sooner she would have survived but the vet just thought she was sick. Do everything you can and get a second opinion on her condition. We only found the blockage when I took her to a CATS ONLY clinic for a second opinion. They never had me put Gia on a feeding tube so I can't help you there. But please... get a second opinion. I would never want anyone to go through what Gia and I had gone through. Rosie is in my prayers. Stay strong.

susi794

Staff member
She is perking up--just did the second tube feeding and she cried this time--she's already trying to crawl out of the basket...she's a litte better!
Giothermal--she is only 5 and a half weeks old--pretty sure there is no blockage.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is perking up--just did the second tube feeding and she cried this time--she's already trying to crawl out of the basket...she's a litte better!
Giothermal--she is only 5 and a half weeks old--pretty sure there is no blockage.

That's good. Definitely sounds like its related to the URI whether its a symptom or anorexia from not wanting to feed as she can't smell.

If there's anything I can do, anything at all, call me, anytime day or night.

J

Jinxlover

I'm so happy she is perking up.. With all your love and care she will be up and about in no time... I would be in the loony bin by now..

GioThermal

Lairian
Awwww! I'm so happy she is perking up already!!! YAY! I didn't realize she was a kitten. I'm new this. You are a great mommy! You are doing great. Give her lots of X's and O's!!!:Kissed:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh poor Rosie. I'm so glad to hear she's perking up. Much love from me and Sophie! Great job with the tube- I can only imagine how scary it was. You're a strong brave momma!

Lulu Bird

Lairian

Yay! See you did it right! I am always second guessing myself when I have to do stuff like that! I am glad she is perking up, keep up the good work!:ThumbsUp:
P.S. We said a little prayer for good measure :BigSmile:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So sorry Susi.....I just saw this post!! I am glad that Rosie is doing better. I will keep my fingers crossed that she keeps up the good fight!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You are doing great, hang in there! If it helps, the chances of getting the tube into the trachea are very slim. Cats are hard to intubate into their lungs because the tube naturally wants to go down to the stomach.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Susi, I can't imagine what you have went through the last few months - you are an amazing woman to have so much going on in your life and still have enough emotion to be supportive of everyone else on Sphynxlair! I hope little Rosie is doing well. Will add you and Rosie to our prayers tonight.

Back