Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hair growth post neutering?

scottymack

Lairian
Hi all.
Please can you advise?

My wife and daughter are cat breeders (Siamese and Sphynx) and also show them.

We have a Sphynx queen (Tuppence..aka..The Tupp/fireplace goddess), recently nuetered approx 12 months?

We have recently observed that she is starting to grow 'bum-fluff'...(forgive crass explanation) stubble around her base of tail and back legs (bi-laterlly).

History.
1. Has had her first litter (and only) about a year ago, (7 kittens, successfully re-homed and are very health).

2. Our vet detected and we became aware of apparent of HCM issue, possibly via her father?

3. My wife and daughter take her to cat shows and judges have commented on the 'stubble', to her hind quarters.

4. She was at earliest, nuetered as the family decided after a lengthy discussion with our vet that her health was more important than breeding, rather than pass it on any future litters.

5. Currently she is in great health, becoming a 'fireplace goddess', as we have 3 open fireplaces.

Questions.
1. Is this hormonal, due to neutering?
2. Would Hormone treatment help?

Conclusion.
Please forgive my lack of 'grammar and precis ability', as l prefer an 'oral' approach..and..this my second attempt at ever posting.

Cheers and thanks
Col
(overseas and downunder in Tassy/Tasmania)

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all.
Please can you advise?

My wife and daughter are cat breeders (Siamese and Sphynx) and also show them.

We have a Sphynx queen (Tuppence..aka..The Tupp/fireplace goddess), recently nuetered approx 12 months?

We have recently observed that she is starting to grow 'bum-fluff'...(forgive crass explanation) stubble around her base of tail and back legs (bi-laterlly).

History.
1. Has had her first litter (and only) about a year ago, (7 kittens, successfully re-homed and are very health).

2. Our vet detected and we became aware of apparent of HCM issue, possibly via her father?

3. My wife and daughter take her to cat shows and judges have commented on the 'stubble', to her hind quarters.

4. She was at earliest, nuetered as the family decided after a lengthy discussion with our vet that her health was more important than breeding, rather than pass it on any future litters.

5. Currently she is in great health, becoming a 'fireplace goddess', as we have 3 open fireplaces.

Questions.
1. Is this hormonal, due to neutering?
2. Would Hormone treatment help?

Conclusion.
Please forgive my lack of 'grammar and precis ability', as l prefer an 'oral' approach..and..this my second attempt at ever posting.

Cheers and thanks
Col
(overseas and downunder in Tassy/Tasmania)

There is really no telling where the HCM started and what lines whether it be the mother or father. Most breeders will scan for HCM before breeding the first living year of the male and female, then generally every year there after that on their breeding pair.

There is a certain breed "standard" of hairlessness allowed when showing. For example, here is Tica's standard:
PENALIZE: Overall small cat. Body that is too thin, frail-appearing or delicate or fine-boned; too cobby or foreign. Lack of wrinkles on the head. Straight profile, narrow head. Non-amenable disposition. Significant amounts of hair above the ankle.

Good choice.

Questions.
1. Is this hormonal, due to neutering? No - there is never a guarantee of hairlessness in the sphynx breed.
2. Would Hormone treatment help? No - and not recommended.

Hope this helps, I have attached the full version of the Tica standard for your view as well.

Attachments

• sphynx standards - Tica.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 30

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@scottymack I see admin gave you great info. I just want to say kudos to you and your family for making the decision to spay since HCM has popped in to the picture. The health and welfare of the breed is dependent on breeders making responsible decisions and although HCM is not your fault, you have hopefully helped try to control possible issues in the future for this amazing breed. Wishing your girl a lifetime of health and happiness.

Patti

Last edited:

scottymack

Lairian
I see admin gave you great info. I just want to say kudos to you and your family for making the decision to spay since HCM has popped in to the picture. The health and welfare of the breed is dependent on breeders making responsible decisions and although HCM is not your fault, you have hopefully helped try to control possible issues in the future for this amazing breed. Wishing your girl a lifetime of health and happiness.

Patti
Hi Patti, yes we/my girls (wife and daughter) agree, 'they are not machines.
This repy to you has just become awkward..why?..well I am lying infront of fire and watching tele (currently a balmy 30*C) and the 'fire goddess', is lying or curling up on my back....trying...and Iam typing.
All (16) cats come before our needs/desires etc, and so l say thanks heapz and will pass on all info, but they (wife Sue & daughter Heidi) are 'into' the cat Shows, where judges have remarked (nicely and factually) about this.
Again many thanks
Scotty

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have noticed that both of mine have more hair on their tail, back, and legs after being fixed than their unaltered mothers do. They are still very bald though. Leo has a tuft on his ankles and his tail. Molly has fine patches on her hips and tail.

scottymack

Lairian
I have noticed that both of mine have more hair on their tail, back, and legs after being fixed than their unaltered mothers do. They are still very bald though. Leo has a tuft on his ankles and his tail. Molly has fine patches on her hips and tail.
Hi Mollysmum.....(hey.. we have a Molly also.....sooo kuel!...and ???looking a tad larger than the 'normal'!)
Tupp...well she has....stubble!...anterior aspect of base of tail, and knee joints (bi-laterally).
I think l have pics in library of Tupp?

Back