Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"Hairballs" and temper

myspecialboy

Lairian
I have a few questions about Chadwick's vet visit yesterday.

First, Chadwick has the sweetest disposition. He's always so friendly with humans and animals and I have never heard him growl of hiss... until now. When we got into the waiting room, the cat that hangs out there looked at me and Chadwick had a fit! He was growling and started hissing like crazy! When we got back to the exam room, he was still going at it and even attacked me! I was so upset that I almost cried! I tried telling the vet that he's never acted like this and she told me that if cats experience a traumatic experience (last time he was there, he had to stay for 2 days), they become more stressed. When we got back out to the car, he was the usual sweet Chadwick. I wonder if he got that upset from that one cat, maybe I shouldn't get a new kitty!

Another thing I worry about is that Chadwick eats blankets and towels and will cough up "hairballs" a few days/weeks later. It freaks me out because I'm afraid he'll get an obstruction. The vet told me to change his food and try a wet kind and get more interactive toys. He has a toy box and all of his interactive toys, he breaks.

Also, he has a lot of tartar buildup and we think by watching him eat, we aren't sure he's really chewing his food. Have you all found any dental treats that work well?

Any ideas????

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho one time flipped out at the vets office too. She actually made a HUGE alaskan husky cower behind his owner:LOL: I had never seen her behave like that before and her best friend is a dog, so I know it had nothing to do with the fact it was a dog. I wouldn't let this visit deter you from getting another pet. It may be stressful at first because they will both be finding their own way and territory but in the end they will be fine. :ThumbsUp:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

First, Chadwick has the sweetest disposition. He's always so friendly with humans and animals and I have never heard him growl of hiss... until now. When we got into the waiting room, the cat that hangs out there looked at me and Chadwick had a fit! He was growling and started hissing like crazy! When we got back to the exam room, he was still going at it and even attacked me! I was so upset that I almost cried! I tried telling the vet that he's never acted like this and she told me that if cats experience a traumatic experience (last time he was there, he had to stay for 2 days), they become more stressed. When we got back out to the car, he was the usual sweet Chadwick. I wonder if he got that upset from that one cat, maybe I shouldn't get a new kitty!

Another thing I worry about is that Chadwick eats blankets and towels and will cough up "hairballs" a few days/weeks later. It freaks me out because I'm afraid he'll get an obstruction. The vet told me to change his food and try a wet kind and get more interactive toys. He has a toy box and all of his interactive toys, he breaks.

Also, he has a lot of tartar buildup and we think by watching him eat, we aren't sure he's really chewing his food. Have you all found any dental treats that work well?

Any ideas????

Try dry food. Wet food will cause dental buildup.

Brooke

Banned

Any ideas????

I would agree with your vet about the traumatic experience upsetting Chad. It probably had more to do with the fact you were at the vets office and less to do with the fact there was another cat there. There are so many different smells, and I'm sure he remembers those smells and associates them with his last visit. It would be totally different in the safety of his home. Here's an example - Walter is the king of the house at home - not afraid of anything, but as soon as we go outside he turns into the biggest scaredy cat. Any little noise will make him jump out of his skin! I've added 3 more cats to my house with Walter and there was an adjustment period, but they are all fine now.

I, too, would worry about an obstruction with the blankets...what food is Chad eating now? Is he only on a dry kibble diet? If you add wet food to his diet, he'll get more water and be more hydrated - less likely to be constipated and will pass things more easily. Not sure how that would stop him from eating his blankets, but still a good recommendation from the vet. Two awesome interactive toys I recommend - Undercover Mouse and Fling-a-ma-String. You can find videos of both of them on Youtube. Just stock up on batteries, because he will play for hours!!

My cats love Greenies dental treats. Also, I just heard about something called Proden Plaque Off. haven't tried it, it's a powder you sprinkle on their food, but I've heard good things about it and it got good reviews on Amazon.com.

myspecialboy

Lairian
I have heard a lot about the Greenies treats and I think I may try those. The vet also tole me that cat grass could deter him from eating blankets by providing him something better to eat.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Back