Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hairless dog

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you guys would like this, A few weeks ago I took the kids to Konobles (amusment park) and I saw A man and his son with this dog so of course I had to run over to have A look they where very nice and I asked to pet him and he said I could hold him and get A picture, I told him about my sphynxes and he thought it was cool, because when I first went up to him he thought I was going to ask him what was wrong with his dog, I was the first that didn;t think he was crazy:Laugh: I was with A friend and the kids and they thought we where both crazy but it was very exciting I have never seen one of the dogs before, his skin was much more clamy then the sphynx and really super balled like he was shaved with A bic he was so smooth!

Attachments

• CIMG0564.jpg
    CIMG0564.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 47

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What breed of dog is that? It looks like a chinese crested with a beagle's face...LOL! It is awfully cute, though.

Brooke

Banned
He's definitely the cutest little hairless dog I've ever seen!

It looks like one of those Mexican hairless dogs...I forget the name, I could never pronounce it right. (Or spell it right!) There used to be a pair of them that boarded all the time when I worked for a vet years ago. There was a miniature one and a standard sized one and I would have to lather them up with lotion every day because their skin got really dry. If we didn't put lotion on them they would feel like they had elephant skin! They definitely weren't velvety soft like the sphynxes! :Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
Okay, I had to look it up, its called Xoloitzcuintli

Now you know why I could never pronounce it or spell it! :LOL: otherwise known as Mexican Hairless...

PitRottMommy

Banned
Okay, I had to look it up, its called Xoloitzcuintli

Now you know why I could never pronounce it or spell it! :LOL: otherwise known as Mexican Hairless...

They're known as "Xolo's". It's pronounced "show-low". And, as Brooke pointed out, often referred to as the Mexican Hairless Terrier. They're a rather rare breed and much more hairless than Chinese Cresteds (even the hairless version).

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
They're known as "Xolo's". It's pronounced "show-low". And, as Brooke pointed out, often referred to as the Mexican Hairless Terrier. They're a rather rare breed and much more hairless than Chinese Cresteds (even the hairless version).

Yeh that sound like it! It was so so so bald it was unreal, The breeder he got it from was here in NJ. Anyway I am glad I saw it, and so was the owner because I didn't think he was crazy!

Moonstone

Lairian
Heelo guys !
I'm back from holidays !

I don't think it's a Xolo, because xolo have hairs (less than chinese crested of course) on he top of the hair, and a different look.

I think It's a AHT for American Hairless Terrier. It's a new breed.
The puppies are born with furr and loss the furr after some weeks.

Thay are cute !
:ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's an awesome pic! I've never seen a dog like that. I couldn't really tell how hairless he was til I brought up the pic. It almost looked like he had fur at first

PitRottMommy

Banned
I don't think it's a Xolo, because xolo have hairs (less than chinese crested of course) on he top of the hair, and a different look.

I think It's a AHT for American Hairless Terrier. It's a new breed.
The puppies are born with furr and loss the furr after some weeks.

Thay are cute !
:ThumbsUp:

I think you're thinking of the Peruvian Inca Orchid or perhaps a hairless Khala. AHT and Xolos look alot alike (except that most Xolos have whiskers and most AHT do not).

Breed standard for an AHT is that they are to have absolutely no hair. That means that this dog couldn't be an AHT: he's got whiskers.

Perhaps one of these pictures better describe what you're thinking with the hair on top of the head? It may also be a regional difference. I know we see alot of differences between european bred and american bred guard dogs (which is almost a comical description for an americanized breed).

Hairless Khala: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hairlesskhala.htm
PIO: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/peruvianincaorchid.htm

Moonstone

Lairian
I think you're thinking of the Peruvian Inca Orchid or perhaps a hairless Khala. AHT and Xolos look alot alike (except that most Xolos have whiskers and most AHT do not).

Breed standard for an AHT is that they are to have absolutely no hair. That means that this dog couldn't be an AHT: he's got whiskers.

Perhaps one of these pictures better describe what you're thinking with the hair on top of the head? It may also be a regional difference. I know we see alot of differences between european bred and american bred guard dogs (which is almost a comical description for an americanized breed).

Hairless Khala: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hairlesskhala.htm
PIO: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/peruvianincaorchid.htm

Thanks for the links, I already knew the PIO but never heard about the Khala !
In fact I really think it's a AHT (even with whiskers) because it seems to be a small breed, and looks like terrier. Get an eye on this link (it's a female AHT : http://www.american-hairless-terrier.com/photo/ASHLEY1.gif) I think it looks like.
get an eye on this link, (http://www.xolo.com/dogblog/) you will see the hair on the head of a xolo (not a lot, but there is some). The breeder of my chinese crested had a xolo female and I saw her and her babies...it's a large medium breed..
But anyway... this hairless dog is very beautifull with a very nice and gentle head. I love him !

Moonstone

Lairian
Thanks for the links, I already knew the PIO but never heard about the Khala !
In fact I really think it's a AHT (even with whiskers) because it seems to be a small breed, and looks like terrier. Get an eye on this link (it's a female AHT : http://www.american-hairless-terrier.com/photo/ASHLEY1.gif) I think it looks like.
get an eye on this link, (http://www.xolo.com/dogblog/) you will see the hair on the head of a xolo (not a lot, but there is some). The breeder of my chinese crested had a xolo female and I saw her and her babies...it's a large medium breed..
But anyway... this hairless dog is very beautifull with a very nice and gentle head. I love him !

the only hairs allowed for the AHT are the whiskers and eyebrows (french AHT club).

PitRottMommy

Banned
the only hairs allowed for the AHT are the whiskers and eyebrows (french AHT club).

I have to wonder if this is not a locality thing since the american standard for AHT calls for no hair and xolos are allowed facial hair (and whiskers).

But you're right, a darling dog nonetheless.

Brooke

Banned
Almost makes me wanna trade my dogs in...I get "pitbull tumbleweeds". Of course, it did get better after we got rid of the Rottweiler.

:LOL: I haven't had a dog in the house since November and I STILL find dog hair tumbleweeds rolling around. It seriously looks like I have puppies under my bed where the vacuum can't reach.

PitBullLove

Lairian
A childhood friend of mine has/had one of those {she recently passed from cancer so I'm assuming her husband still has it} I never got to see it in person as she lived far from me but I just fell in love with all the pictures she posted of hers! So adorable!

k9closet

Lairian
We have a Xolo, they come in 3 sizes, and we have the toy. He is about 6 lbs and full of it, he is my wild one! LOL!
Meet: Gary Alan
inthejunglead.jpg

mylittleponyadk9.jpg

garysnugglesack2.jpg

Back