Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hairless Gene

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This was passed on to me from a friend- interesting research! I am quoting a summary of the research, but I have the PDF saved if anyone wants to see it- just send me your email...

Here's the freshly published research paper on the Devon/Sphynx gene.

The important bits are to say that they have found the Sphynx/Devon gene. There are three alleles of the gene, normal hair, Sphynx hairless and Devon Rex. Normal hair is dominant over the other two alleles in the gene, while the Sphynx allele is dominant over the Devon allele. The gene's symbol is KRT71. The Devon Rex allele is KRT71re and the Sphynx allele is KRT71hr. It's the same gene that causes curly hair in dogs, rats and mice.

They have tested all the other known rex and hairless breeds and they are not caused by alleles of the same gene, so they are caused by different genes, as yet undiscovered. (The exception is the Kohana, which looks like it is probably a normal Sphynx but one cat didn't test that way and there were only three cats tested, so not a statistically significant sample.)

So we need to stop thinking of the Devon gene and the Sphynx gene as separate genes; they are different alleles of the same gene. The Symbols Re/re and Hr/hr and now superceded by KRT71+/KRT71re/KRT71hr

The other significant finding is that a quarter of sampled Sphynx are not pure Sphynx and and are actually genetically Sphynx/Devon hybrids in that they are Sphynx look-alikes with only one Sphynx allele and carrying the Devon Rex allele. This is undesirable as these cats do not breed true as Sphynx and if two such cats mate together on average only a quarter of the kittens will be pure Sphynx, half will be carriers, like their parents and the final quarter will be genetically Devon Rex with curly coats. There's also a possibility that carriers might be a bit hairier than normal pure Sphynx.

Sphynx breeders can now test their breeding cats to see which ones carry the Devon allele. If they have any carriers they can decide to only mate them to non-carriers and only place kittens on the active if they are non-carriers.

Gizzymom

Banned
Very interesting!!!

You mentioned the Kahona. I have read a little on this breed. So is it a genetic mutation of the sphynx? They don't seem to be extremely hearty or healthy. I do not care for them. And with NO hair follicles, I wonder what kind of skin issues you have with them vs. the sphynx.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I actually was quoting someone- LOL- I don't know anything about the Kahonas and find them... odd. Heh :) But it would make sense that they are genetically Sphynxes to me.

Gizzymom

Banned
This is what I found :
The Kohana is the result of a mutation originating in Hawaii and is the ONLY true hairless breed of cat. It's true! Kohana's have no fuzz whatsoever... no hair follicles... Where a Sphynx feels like a warm peach, a Kohana feels more like a warm candle.

rubbercat.jpg

Yea... not a fan..

But it does say it is a mutation.. but of what? I do not know.

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I wonder how much the testing would be.
Its very interesting reading, as was the blood typing you sent me before. Please send me the full thing.

Thanks....................for everything

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I would love a copy of the pdf as well please, I have some rex sphynx outcrosses and would love to read some more on the topic. Ill PM you my email. :ThumbsUp:

Back