Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hairless SVs in the UK!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay, my UK friends...

There is a breeder who supposedly had a whoopsie litter of hairless SVs!

I don't know the logistics- whether they intentionally bred to a Sphynx or not, but that's crazy!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is a rumor a breeder in the U.K. is breeding Bengals to sphynx also.
Some people do not care about the breeds at all.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't get the need to make EVERY cat naked. I don't think a Persian or a Himmie would be cute naked- don't think an Exotic Shorthair would be cute naked. I don't really think a Savannah, particularly the early gens, would be cute naked.

Kinda silly sometimes...

Bella07

Banned
It would be interesting to see a hairless Savannah in person.

Add....
So I googled it, and found the breeder. I think this is right....Here's a picture.

smallbadger.jpg

smallhorse4.jpg

They do look a lot like Sphynx cats, except for the spots.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Surely it would take two generations of 'oopsie litters' to get a hairless kitten? Sounds intentional to me.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yep, those are the babies. The spotted one is kinda cute, but I'm not digging the black one. BUT I just don't understand the purpose of this if it was intentional.

Hahahaha @ the ET joke!

The spotted one is sorta cute.....

What I don't understand are the "elf" or "elven kittens" their Sphynx bred with Scottish folds and sometimes munchkins. I'm sorry but it's just sad too me.

elf_kittens.jpg

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Why do they make you sad?

Scottish Folds and Curls are just as healthy as any other cat- maybe moreso then the Sphynxes from what I've been reading lately- least they don't have HCM lurking in their lines, waiting to strike.

I love that guy you posted- gosh, if I had money right now... LOL!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it was done on purpose also.
There are a few breeders that have been pulling stuff like that in the U.K.

Why do they make you sad?

Scottish Folds and Curls are just as healthy as any other cat- maybe moreso then the Sphynxes from what I've been reading lately- least they don't have HCM lurking in their lines, waiting to strike.

I love that guy you posted- gosh, if I had money right now... LOL!

Because it seems like people are just messing around to see how werid they can make the cat look so they can up the price. I'd understand if it was to strengthen the breed, but they do it just to make them look funny.

The out crossing with munchkins bothers me more because munchkins are prone to heart problems due to their tiny legs, so you cross it with a Sphynx and it seems like a death sentence. Sure some of them are fine, but why would you risk it just so you're cat can have tiny little legs.

I just don't like the cats being used as something to show off like a purse.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Surely it would take two generations of 'oopsie litters' to get a hairless kitten? Sounds intentional to me.

Spot on. Since the hairless gene is recessive there's no way that it just "showed up" in a first generation "oops." I too suspect it was intentional.

The Elfs come from crossing sphynx to American Curls. Then some breeders are adding munchkins to the mix for short legs. I think the normal Elfs are adorable but you couldn't pay me to take a munchkinized Elf - hello spinal/heart problems! American Curls are pretty healthy overall so they should be a good cross imho.

Spot on. Since the hairless gene is recessive there's no way that it just "showed up" in a first generation "oops." I too suspect it was intentional.

The Elfs come from crossing sphynx to American Curls. Then some breeders are adding munchkins to the mix for short legs. I think the normal Elfs are adorable but you couldn't pay me to take a munchkinized Elf - hello spinal/heart problems! American Curls are pretty healthy overall so they should be a good cross imho.

Oops I said Scottish fold, I feel dumb. :BigSmile:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This has nothing to do with cats but I kid you not I saw a taco bell dog (no I can't even attempt to spell it) with ears like the elf sphynx no joke. I wish I had my cell phone because it was the cutest thing I had ever seen. Supposedly the ears will prick but ya it was so cute.

Bella07

Banned
You mean the Chiwawa?

Haha, it took me forever to learn the spelling, Chihuahua :)

Now I think that would be really adorable. A dog with ears like the American Curl! I love it when my dogs ears flop back when he's really excited, it is so cute.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It was so cute the ears were flopped back but also the tips and they weren't just resting like that. I may go and take a picture tomorrow, sadly she is in a pet store. You know, the puppy mill type.

Bella07

Banned
Oohh, please do go and take a picture and post it! I really want to see. Makes me so sad to think of puppymills and their doggies though :Cry:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The store isn't doing very well here. They always have pretty much the same dogs because no one buys them thankfully! I hope they go somewhere else. Whenever my son doesn't cry when I drop him off at daycare we go to see the puppies as his reward.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow,,,I'm curious to see how well the naked SV's do through out their lives. We have been wanting a SV since we started our initial Sphynx search but realize its not within our financial means at this time,,but naked SV's ,wow,, that would mean if we ever did get one Jimmy wouldn't have to resort to allergy shots!

He wants a SV so bad he is willing to go back to his daily allergy shots just to have one. lol Crazy men!

I do think ya'll are right tho - these kitties were bred just to see what they would get and more than likely to up their cost even more due to their rarity.
Aren't their breeding laws in place to prevent people from doing this or do they just see it as two cats mated and thats okay regardless of their breed?

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok sorry but here it goes I would love a "sphynx" with the size of an SV and spots, I think it would be neat. *ducks*

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nah, no need to duck and run... We all think different things will be beautiful, but I just feel like making everything nude isn't the answer :) But then again- some people think you shouldn't have hybrids, sooo...

Hehehe :) To each his own, as long as the animals are healthy and well cared for.

Back