Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hairy Sphynx?

SniffyMama

Lairian
Hi guys. Our little girl Astra has really fuzzy ears! Her ears are covered with fur, not the baby fine hairs she has on her body but not full blown fur either. And she has tufts of hair on the bottom of her ears where they join to her head. She is 6 months old now and is fixed (I read that could make a difference, but in the opposite way!). She also has a pretty fuzzy/furry tail. Is this common?? I've read somewhere that if they're too cold they will start to grow hair!! Is this true? :Sweat:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sniffy Mama, welcome back. :ThumbsUp:
As far as the fuzzy stuff, the amount of fuzz varys from sphynx to sphynx, if she was fixed recently it could still be hormone change. Some say temp. has alot to do with it and some do not. Our female has more fuzz than our male and they live in the same house so I say it has nothing to do with the temp.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Sniffymama, I'm a new sphynx owner like you are, but I think it's pretty common for sphynx cats to have varying degrees of hair on extremities like ears and tails. My Piglet is pretty bare, but even she has some fine hairs on her ears and the tip of her tail. If your baby is still pretty young, she may get less hairy the older she gets.

If that's your kitty in your avantar photo, she's REALLY cute! :BigSmile:

SniffyMama

Lairian
Thanks for the info! I really hope it's just temporary...or doesn't get any worse. I've had nightmares that she's grown sporadic hair clumps all over her body lol.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello, my sphynx has quite a bit of furr on his ears, face and tail but I think that is pretty normal and does vary from sphynx to sphynx. Although they are known as hairless cats, they do have some areas where a bit of hair will grow ie face, ears, tail, private parts!!! The rest of their body should have a covering of fine downy hair! But as I say it does vary from sphynx to sphynx!

gizmo6370

Banned
Overhere we have al sort of sphynxcats....fuzzy ears and tail.....and the other is really butt nacked...she's so bald....that she is sticky :Wink::BigSmile:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi guys. Our little girl Astra has really fuzzy ears! Her ears are covered with fur, not the baby fine hairs she has on her body but not full blown fur either. And she has tufts of hair on the bottom of her ears where they join to her head. She is 6 months old now and is fixed (I read that could make a difference, but in the opposite way!). She also has a pretty fuzzy/furry tail. Is this common?? I've read somewhere that if they're too cold they will start to grow hair!! Is this true? :Sweat:

George's ear are quite hairy and so is his tail. He is fixed also. I have noticed that since it is becoming colder he is growing more hair.

Brooke

Banned
My four have varying degrees of hairlessness...

Nelson is totally bald, like gizmo's girl, I would call him sticky.
Mandy and Helen are totally hairless but they feel more like suede.
Walter's tail and feet up to his ankles are almost completely covered in very short, curly fur and his body has a very, very light covering of fuzz all over it. His hairlessness, I've noticed, seems to be effected by his diet.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho has fuzzy legs that look like leg warmers but the hair is getting thinner everyday and the rest is just a soft fuzz like suede but that is getting thinner too, almost to where she is sticky as well. Then again Meecho is different since she's a peterbald....boy guess I wasn't much help:LOL:

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Buster had a quite hairy tail, ears and paws. His little tail was striped orange & white!

Bluto is soft like velvet and has very fine fur only on his nose & tail tip

Mr. Blackwell has dark fur on his nose, ears & tail and his body hair is almost pig-like where it is somewhat stiff. He feels totally different from either of my other guys.

How funny that they are all so similar and yet so unique!!:LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Buster had a quite hairy tail, ears and paws. His little tail was striped orange & white!

Bluto is soft like velvet and has very fine fur only on his nose & tail tip

Mr. Blackwell has dark fur on his nose, ears & tail and his body hair is almost pig-like where it is somewhat stiff. He feels totally different from either of my other guys.

How funny that they are all so similar and yet so unique!!:LOL:

Pig-like! Yes! that's how I would also describe Walter's body hair...he feels kindly prickly, where the other three are very smooth and bald.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie has fuzzy ears and nose. Her belly is sticky and she is covered in fine fine hairs. Her feet seem hairier than the rest of her leg and back.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo just has teh hair and her ears and nose.
Wrinkles has more hair then Cleo.
Her tail is hairy and her face and ears.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
It's funny because I was going to start a thread on this very subject a few days ago and talked myself out of it. I didn't want anyone to laugh at me but I really thought something was wrong with my monster. He's hairy on his face, ears, legs and tail. And even worst, he has a soul patch on his side. Each week I trim his hairs, especially the soul patch which just looks odd. It's a patch of long hairs that grow in the middle of his bald backside - yuck! I swear I keep saying if he gets any hairier I'm going to have to start shaving him. LOL. :Dizzy:

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with Brooke. Mine all have diffrent degrees of hair as well. Harley and Nuba are bald. Oba is of the sude feeling. Cleo has facial and tail hair with with a tuff of hair on each butt cheeke:LOL: So I think its just individual.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have noticed that now Mo is a bit older he has a bit of furr on his ankles! When he is in the bath I notice red furr on his back as well, its only very fine but when you stroke him in the bath you can see it coz his furr is damp. They are all special and unique in their own lovely little ways arn't they!

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes I can see every sphynx is different!..Mickey is very bald he just has a little fuzz on his nose and thats it! They are all so ADORABLE!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can't remember who it was but I remember someone had a kitty that only had fur on his special area :Laugh::LOL:

Brooke

Banned
I can't remember who it was but I remember someone had a kitty that only had fur on his special area :Laugh::LOL:

That's Walter!! He has furry feet and tail, too, but yes, a full coat of brown fur on his "hairy berries" (thanks to sydkat for coining that nickname for him) :LOL:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Walter is not alone, Mo has ginger furr on his little berries (ginger nuts!)! They were laughed at at the vets when he was neutered.

Brooke

Banned
Walter is not alone, Mo has ginger furr on his little berries (ginger nuts!)! They were laughed at at the vets when he was neutered.

Aw...poor boys. Not only did they get their manhood chopped off, they had to endure getting laughed at first! :LOL:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sanura was complete bald when i got her but now she has alot of hair on her tail, nose, feet, and ears and she has really soft like peach fuzz over the rest of her body however she has more wrinkles than my other sphynx who only have a little hair on their nose and ears.

Back