Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Handling a sphynx

IggytheSphynx

Lairian
So I have a weird question: everyone says handle my sphynx kitten rough! What does that entail? How rough is to rough? How do I know if I am doing it right? And what results am I looking for ??

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No, you shouldn't handle your sphynx ruff. They are so loving, adorable, and funny you won't want to anyway.
Plus, you don't want to make then mean or give them behavioral issues. This is a big negative, toward any animal.
You just need to play natural with toys.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know about "rough" and why that would be recommended. People interact with their cats differently, and each cat is different (also they change as they age). I've always thrown them up in the air a tiny bit while we're on the bed and slapped their little rear hips a bit, plus gently pulled their tails. I don't consider this rough, though, as to me rough implies injurious handling. If the kitten isn't into it and isn't playing along with you, then quit doing what you're doing. Hope this helps!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That is really counterintuitive to cat human dynamics. I think firm or confident is a better way to describe how I used to handle kittens. So they felt safe and to look to me for cues on ho to handle new things.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry poor wording just going to delete this blah!
I think maybe they are telling you to handle them for socialization? Like the idea is for them to get used to being handled? I can see a benefit in that. I have handled my 2 sphynx cats a lot in their personal care, looking in their mouth and eyes, and as a result they do very well at the vet or taking medication.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think @MollysMom has the idea - I've heard a vet tech refer to it as "kitten torture". Not actually mishandling them but getting them used to being handled at a young age. Picking them up, lifting up legs, squeezing paws to extend the nails, opening their mouths, etc etc. Maybe instead of rough you meant firm? :)

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have my hands all over my babies. Each one likes something different. Chloe loves for me to gently pull her tail. Slap her little hinny, but Pinky I have to do differently. She is shy and how I play with the others, I can't do with her. She just likes snuggling and cuddling. Yoda like hinny slaps and tail pullings. She will turn over on her back on the floor and I put my foot on her belly and move it around. She loves it. If she sees you walking, she will get right in front of me and roll over. Each one is different, and so are how they liked to be played with.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sphynx are unique in this. When we went to pick up our first kitten at the breeders the other kittens from the litter were running around playing and the husband was petting one of the kittens that had jumped in his lap. I was shocked by how "rough" I thought he was petting that tiny kitten. They can take a more aggressive petting that I would say what you would think to give a furred cat but nothing over the top. More often than not mine want to be held and snuggled anyway ;)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
In terms of play I feel they will guide you. Max loves to wrestle with my arm (I use a Terry cloth sleeve), but I only wrestle when he wants it.

Back