Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Has anyone experienced this when adding a new addition?

CMuniz

Lairian
Hello All,

I had an incedent that happened with one of my sphynx and I feel so horrified. I have 2 sphynx boys, brothers, 3 years old. I wanted to add to our family and got a 1 year old girl. She was beautiful. I got her Sunday and brought her home. Not knowing how the boys would act I separated her in a room. My daughter and I were in the room with her and somehow Luke got in, seen her and started to to cry a lot, my daughter was holding the girl and he attacked her trying to get to her. I never seen him so vicious. He bit her leg and scratched her badly. I was in shock. I know it takes time to transition them and it has to be done gradually over a period of weeks sometimes so I decided to bring the new girl (she was spayed) to my walkin closet afraid that he would hurt her bad. Yesterday all night both cats were in the room looking staring at the closet door. Luke was sniffing under the door in the morning and the girl hissed softly and Luke became bolistic and started to cry and growl and he turned around and attacked me. I couldn’t believe it, he wouldn’t get off of me, I had to push him out my bedroom door, it was horrible. I was afraid to leave the room cause he was screaming at the door. I was home alone, and called my husband, he came and Luke came back in the room like nothing happened. I went downstairs and I was sitting at the table and Luke jumped on my lap, then he began to sniff my feet, omg it set him off again and he attacked me once more, my husband had to cover him with a blanket to get him off of me. At this point I was shaking in shock and emotional. I called back the breeder and told her what happened and took the girl back. She was beautiful I wanted to keep her badly, but I was afraid Luke would keep attacking us and also I didn’t want the new girl to get hurt by him. I was afraid he would never get adjusted to her no matter if it took weeks. My other boy is very meek and he ran when Luke was attacking me. At this point I couldn’t trust him. I still feel devastated, hurt and sad, depressed and in shock still. No one would understand my feelings except sphynlair and I needed to share my story.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
My gosh. I am so sorry you were traumatized like that. We have seen where 2 cats that have been together for years, all of a sudden one goes crazy trying to attack it. It can takes weeks to get them to settle down, and yes a couple of times turning on a human, but this sounds quite extreme and as said as it is, you did the right thing in the end by making sure your family and the kitten are safe. Thank goodness your husband was home during that last incident. I hope things settle quickly...if he is still acting odd, I would get a vet check to be safe. Again I am so sorry it did not work out. @CMuniz

CMuniz

Lairian
My gosh. I am so sorry you were traumatized like that. We have seen where 2 cats that have been together for years, all of a sudden one goes crazy trying to attack it. It can takes weeks to get them to settle down, and yes a couple of times turning on a human, but this sounds quite extreme and as said as it is, you did the right thing in the end by making sure your family and the kitten are safe. Thank goodness your husband was home during that last incident. I hope things settle quickly...if he is still acting odd, I would get a vet check to be safe. Again I am so sorry it did not work out. @CMuniz

CMuniz

Lairian
I know it was very extreme. He’s still lurking around the house meowing a lil bit. I cleaned where the kitten was to get her scent out of the house. Thank you for reassuring me that I did the right thing. @Catzzzmeow

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
You might purchase a couple of Feliway diffuser just to settle him if he is still freaked. It takes a few days to kick in, but I can only imagine how you don’t trust him for a while. That had to be scary.

CMuniz

Lairian
You might purchase a couple of Feliway diffuser just to settle him if he is still freaked. It takes a few days to kick in, but I can only imagine how you don’t trust him for a while. That had to be scary.
I seen an ad on Feliway, that’s a good idea. I might get some if he doesn’t settle soon. Yes, it’s true I really don’t trust him, but I can’t have him sense any fear from me but when he starts that crying I get leery. @Catzzzmeow

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's surprising because we are so used to seeing these little guys be love bugs but yet it's not when you consider cats are driven by scent. They recognize food by how it smells and other cats by how they smell. It doesn't matter how you look. To me it appears Luke got you confused because you smelled different. As an example, I've had cats that were sisters and grew up together, but when I took one to the vet and brought her back smelling different, the other cat would want to attack her. I would take me several days to reintroduce them again. After 2 or 3 times, I decided that when I had to take one to the vet, they both had to come even if the other one didn't need to be seen. I don't know if you've ever had that happen with your 2 boys but it could.

Anyway, I don't think you can't introduce another kitty in the future but just make sure you proceed very slowly, especially with Luke. First impressions are very important. Give him lots of time to process what's happening and see that it's not a threat.

CMuniz

Lairian
It's surprising because we are so used to seeing these little guys be love bugs but yet it's not when you consider cats are driven by scent. They recognize food by how it smells and other cats by how they smell. It doesn't matter how you look. To me it appears Luke got you confused because you smelled different. As an example, I've had cats that were sisters and grew up together, but when I took one to the vet and brought her back smelling different, the other cat would want to attack her. I would take me several days to reintroduce them again. After 2 or 3 times, I decided that when I had to take one to the vet, they both had to come even if the other one didn't need to be seen. I don't know if you've ever had that happen with your 2 boys but it could.

Anyway, I don't think you can't introduce another kitty in the future but just make sure you proceed very slowly, especially with Luke. First impressions are very important. Give him lots of time to process what's happening and see that it's not a threat.
Yes I knew he attacked me the second time because I smelled different but I was with the kitten most of the night checking up on her and Luke was in my room and didn’t do anything to me. Her scent was on my hands cause he even smelled my hands and didn’t do anything. He must have still been in flight or flight mode when I went downstairs. It’s too traumatizing to think about adding another one now. I don’t think he will ever adjust to someone new. My fear was that after a few weeks of trying either he would still reject her or accept somewhat but fight with her when I wasn’t home. She was so beautiful loving and sweet and I still feel upset over everything. I wanted to give it sometime but Luke just became so defensive right out of the gates. He never was around her only through the door and that was very overwhelming. I shared a pic of her. Wasn’t she beautiful! @Condo commando

Attachments

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@CMuniz - she sure is very pretty. I'm sorry it didn't work out. It's never easy introducing cats that are strangers. Sometimes cats never do become friends; I've known people with cats that the best you could say was the cats tolerated each other. Maybe I'm an eternal optimist but I would never say never. To me cats (except feral cats) like to play and they are sociable creatures, just that everything has to be on THEIR terms.

Sometimes the intro takes a lot of time and patience, and Luke more so but at least now you are aware. Basically don't give up hope forever....just use what you learned if you decide to try again. I hope this helps.

CMuniz

Lairian
@CMuniz - she sure is very pretty. I'm sorry it didn't work out. It's never easy introducing cats that are strangers. Sometimes cats never do become friends; I've known people with cats that the best you could say was the cats tolerated each other. Maybe I'm an eternal optimist but I would never say never. To me cats (except feral cats) like to play and they are sociable creatures, just that everything has to be on THEIR terms.

Sometimes the intro takes a lot of time and patience, and Luke more so but at least now you are aware. Basically don't give up hope forever....just use what you learned if you decide to try again. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the encouragement. @Condo commando

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
She is a beauty...you are being the best type of mom...a protective one that trusts their gut.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A beautiful girl. I’m so sorry you had to take her back, but you were the best Sphynx mom for doing so. You had her safety and your family’s safety prioritized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@CMuniz oh my! Can imagine you were so scared. Sorry you had to go through this. Hopefully Luke will calm down soon and you can trust him again.
I think you made the best decision by bringing the girl back. With such an agressive reaction of Luke it would not be a good idea to keep her. Just wonder what Luke make react so agressive. Specially cause he has a sphynx friend already. Can it be the girl is ill and Luke sensed it?

Please take care of your en your daughters wounds very well. Cat bites and scratches can get infected easily.

The girl is beautiful. I’m sure she finds a family that will give her as much love as you were willing to give her. Hugs for you!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I’m not intending to hijack your post, but this thread is making me a bit apprehensive, and honestly scared, about introducing my new baby girl in 2 weeks! :oops:

Kenzo is only 11 months, so I’m hoping he is more open and accepting to new additions. I’m also crossing my fingers that being socialized around my doggos has eased some anxiety out of him. :confused: Your unfortunate ordeal is making me seriously rethink my whole “introduction” plan... or at least pick it apart meticulously for any holes. I cannot have my boy attacking my toddler!

May I ask, are both the brothers altered?? I skimmed through the thread and saw you mentioned the female was spayed. Sounds like you did the right thing to return her. Your breeder was also kind to be flexible with you and your situation.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow. I’m so so sorry. I’m glad everybody is okay. I’m sorry it didn’t work out. I don’t even know what to say.

CMuniz

Lairian
A beautiful girl. I’m so sorry you had to take her back, but you were the best Sphynx mom for doing so. You had her safety and your family’s safety prioritized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you. I still feel heartbroken, your kind words mean a lot.
I’m not intending to hijack your post, but this thread is making me a bit apprehensive, and honestly scared, about introducing my new baby girl in 2 weeks! :oops:

Kenzo is only 11 months, so I’m hoping he is more open and accepting to new additions. I’m also crossing my fingers that being socialized around my doggos has eased some anxiety out of him. :confused: Your unfortunate ordeal is making me seriously rethink my whole “introduction” plan... or at least pick it apart meticulously for any holes. I cannot have my boy attacking my toddler!

May I ask, are both the brothers altered?? I skimmed through the thread and saw you mentioned the female was spayed. Sounds like you did the right thing to return her. Your breeder was also kind to be flexible with you and your situation.
Yes they have been altered since kittens. Im still shaken by the whole experience and I feel heartbroken. But thank goodness for all of you here to make me feel comforted. Maybe it was because he’s 3 and it’s only been him and his brother for 3 years now. I’m not sure. Hes still a lil on edge I hoping he settles. They told me it can take a while to adjust but I was afraid of the way he acted. If I decided to give it time and it still didn’t work out, it would have been worse since I would have been attached to her even more. Plus I was afraid for her, howcwoukbi know it would be safe to introduce them if he acted this way. I hope everything works out for you. Your boy is young. Keep me posted on how it works out for you.