Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Has anyone had their cat tested for toxoplasmosis?

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My babies have been indoors their whole life, but they’ve been in contact with rescues. I just read this article about how the parasite is hurting wildlife, so I’d like to make sure the girls are clean. Here’s hoping the vaccine pans out. :  (

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My babies have been indoors their whole life, but they’ve been in contact with rescues. I just read this article about how the parasite is hurting wildlife, so I’d like to make sure the girls are clean. Here’s hoping the vaccine pans out. :  (
I read up on it, it's probably highly unlikely, it's more for outdoor cats that eat the wildlife or are exposed to other elements outdoors, I'd be more worried about cat illness like Feline Leukemia Virus (FelV), worms, which is much more common from rescues to be honest.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I read up on it, it's probably highly unlikely, it's more for outdoor cats that eat the wildlife or are exposed to other elements outdoors, I'd be more worried about cat illness like Feline Leukemia Virus (FelV), worms, which is much more common from rescues to be honest.
Truth. My cats contracted giardia, thanks to someone who let her cats wander. This was after we adopted Nym and before we adopted her older sister, Smidget. I was still a bit naive, at the time, and took her at her word when she said nothing was wrong with her geriatric cat when I babysat the feline at my house, for a week. I could feel scabs under her fur because ("It isn't fleas!") she was covered in fleas, so the first thing my husband and I did was bathe her and powder parasitical havens. We played dumb when she asked why her cat smelled differently than usual. We did have a coat conditioner leftover from our deceased maine coon mix, but it was unscented. We didn't catch the giardia until a year later. :mad: